enlisting in reserves
Create Post

enlisting in reserves

I know I should ask a recruiter but I've been "bugging" him a lot lately(somehow I forgot to ask him this). I have a buddy in the Nat'l Guard, when he enlisted he drilled with his unit once a month before going to boot camp. Does the MC reserves work the same? Thanks in advance

Never heard of that, but why would you want to? I would gladly give you all of my drills!

beats doing nothing for 6 months

There are some key advantages to Cat P in addition to getting a jump on things and learning about your future unit.

1. Your active reserve time starts from your enlistment date instead of your ship date to boot. LCpl Polizei, he'll actually start his drill count down before going to boot.

2. Your date of rank (PVT or PFC, whichever applies) starts from your enlistment date instead of your ship date to boot. If you are a contract PFC, your nine months for lance corporal can start early as well.

3. You can get paid (although I don't think I ever did). If it is important to you, make sure you follow up with admin.

Well that's good! Like I said, never knew that existed. Believe me, you'll want to pick up fast after you get done with training. That extra time will help!

Never knew it existed. I dunno how well someone in that program would be received in my unit. We don't do any of that "new guy" hazing crap, but 92 day reservists are lost enough as it is.

Mike

I hear you on that...we did some convoys yesterday and the 92 days/admin/supply guys were lost. They didn't know ANYTHING about the humvees, let alone anything else like security, etc. I can't imagine a civilian attending drill.

I read some of that PDF file, thats some weird stuff. Never heard of that program. They even issue uniforms!?!?! Please tell me the don't wear the EGA.

I suspect units may at least implicitly have the option of participating in this program or not. This was presented to me during my reserve interview after enlisting, meaning it was offered by the receiving unit and not a recruiter. It would be easy enough for that to not come up in conversation.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I just read that whole PDF File.
    That's a Great program !!!

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stein07 View Post
    Yes, it's called the Category P program.

http://www.marines.mil/news/publicat...01500R.36G.pdf
    I re-posted that for all to see.
    That's Great Info!!!

Thank you Brother.
    Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Thread Information