MOS 0311 , 0321, MARSOC Whats the difference?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

MOS 0311 , 0321, MARSOC Whats the difference?

I would like to know what the difference is between MOS 0311, 0321, and MARSOC. Is 0321 Reconnaissance man a Recon Marine? Isnt a MARSOC also a Recon Marine? What is the difference? Thank you.

An 0311 is a Rifleman. Straight infantry. Usually carries a M-16 or SAW and operates in a 4 man fire team w/in a 13 man squad.

An 0321 is Reconnaissance Man, AKA a Recon Marine. To obtain the MOS of 0321 a Marine must complete the Basic Reconnaissance Course (BRC). Generally a Marine who graduates from BRC will then be assigned to one of the 3 Recon Bns. (Reservists go to 4th Recon Bn.)

There are two types of Recon, Battalion Recon and Force Recon. Battalion Recon is an asset organic to whatever Division they fall under, while Force is an asset to a Marine Expeditionary Force. Force Recon is generally made up of senior Recon Marines and receives more funding, schools ect. While neither Bn. Recon or Force falls under SOCOM, Bn. is generally seen as being on par the the U.S. Army Rangers, while force is equivalent to a Tier 1 or 2 SOCOM asset.

I don't know a huge amout about MARSOC, but MARSOC is Marine Special Operations Command, you are most likely interested in MSOB-Marine Special Operations Bn. which are MARSOCS operators.
    Unlike Recon, MSOB does fall under SOCOM and is a tiered SOF asset. This means that they get their funding through SOCOM, thus they have more toys, better training, and more school slots. You don't have to be a Recon Marine to be in MSOB, but most of them are.

OMG another one worry about f*cking bootcamp and getting into the Corps first dreamer.

0311 wears kevlar and carries a weapon
    0321 wears a boonie and carries a pistol
    MARSOC wears nothing and carries knife hands

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    So what your saying is a Marine Infantry is safer because they have kevlar and a assault rifle but a Recon Marine only wears a hat and carries a pistol? and a MARSOC only carries a knife?

Is their a pay difference in these Marine Infantry 0331 or Marine Recon 0321?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer101 View Post
    So what your saying is a Marine Infantry is safer because they have kevlar and a assault rifle but a Recon Marine only wears a hat and carries a pistol? and a MARSOC only carries a knife?

Is their a pay difference in these Marine Infantry 0331 or Marine Recon 0321?
    No pay difference and neither are safe from anything!

OMG! did this kid think I was serious? Come on now...and there is a pay difference. If you are jump qualed and scuba qualed you make more.

I can't believe someone actually asked a question like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentwarrior17 View Post
    OMG! did this kid think I was serious? Come on now...and there is a pay difference. If you are jump qualed and scuba qualed you make more.
    well other than that there isn't a differnce! and i don't see anyone going scuba diving in Afganistan lol. last time i've heard of anyone jumping was in the begining stages of the Iraq war. but there is the training days while in the rear that i think it counts. I see recon jumping in the 33 area every once in a while when i'm at work!

Quote Originally Posted by sully0331 View Post
    OMG another one worry about f*cking bootcamp and getting into the Corps first dreamer.
    I have mixed feelings about this, because if they dont consider their job there gonna end up hating where they're at.

That being said, they come to the fleet and get the **** hazed outta them, and learn the hard way.

You only get extra pay if you are on 'status'. Meaning you have to be actively jumping/diving each month to get the jump/dive pay.

If you are concerned about 'safety' then seek other career opportunities than the Marine Corps. Perhaps something in an office setting.

Lordy.

If this is a serious question I suggest you take the ASVAB before you get your hopes up of doing anything in the military.

Thread Information