Marine Military Police - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Geagle05 View Post
    Thanks everyone. We just had our "MOS mixer" But I guess even on the grunt side, an officer can get stuck being an XO or S3-A as a first billet and not get to "kick in doors."
    Isn't company XO a 1st lt. billet?

I was an MP back in 67 before I shipped to the Nam. Back then we had a mustang 1st LT and a Sgt of the Guard and the rest of us were Cpl or below. I was a Lance. I drove a patrol truck and ferried out the gate guards, patrolled the base housing, gave out tickets and made the occasional disturbance call.

Back then there was no MOS for MP, we were all either volunteers (me) or were placed there by our company. Companies back then had to send men to either MP's or mess duty. My training before I initially went out on gate duty consisted of half a day. "Salute this color sticker, or wave this color through."

MP duty was great, every other weekend we had a 72 and we were the detachment that you did not mess with. I once gave a Major a ticket for not showing me his proper ID, and the 2nd more serious charge was "Disrespect to an MP." At the hearing the Major tried to complain on me and slam me, but my Mustang stood straight and tall in my defense saying all kinds of good things about me and the the 3 officer hearing board gave the Major an official reprimand for the "Disrespect to an MP" charge.

A week later my LT called me into his office, sat me down and told me what a fine MP I was. However, he had heard through the grapevine that some of the Major's friends (other officers) were out to get me charged with something and my LT said he might not be able to cover me in the future. For my career I needed to get off base. He then said that two orders for Vietnam had just come in that morning, did I want one. I said yes, and the rest is history.

Advanced, that is motivating. That's an Lt backing his Marines. Easy to say now, but I hope I can be like that Lieutenant in that situation.

Reservist, from what I know, that is a 1stLt billet, but 2ndLt's can be XO or say Wpns Plt Cmdr/ S3 as a 2ndLt--billets that might generally be for more sr. billets. Based off the needs of the Corps...

Old Marine, again from what I know, there is still a PMO. They are the on the LE side of the MP MOS...base registrations, speeding tickets etc.

Dgen, thank you for the gouge... I'd ideally like to be on the field side of MP. I'm not too sure if that's up to my decision, but it definitely is what gets me going. Right now, I have tanks, MP, logistics, tracks, and arty in my top 5. That being said, there's stories of guys wanting grunts and getting supply and vise versa. Bottom line, my choices are based off doing what I feel I'd be best for my Marines and being good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Geagle05 View Post
    Advanced, that is motivating. That's an Lt backing his Marines. Easy to say now, but I hope I can be like that Lieutenant in that situation.

Reservist, from what I know, that is a 1stLt billet, but 2ndLt's can be XO or say Wpns Plt Cmdr/ S3 as a 2ndLt--billets that might generally be for more sr. billets. Based off the needs of the Corps...

Old Marine, again from what I know, there is still a PMO. They are the on the LE side of the MP MOS...base registrations, speeding tickets etc.

Dgen, thank you for the gouge... I'd ideally like to be on the field side of MP. I'm not too sure if that's up to my decision, but it definitely is what gets me going. Right now, I have tanks, MP, logistics, tracks, and arty in my top 5. That being said, there's stories of guys wanting grunts and getting supply and vise versa. Bottom line, my choices are based off doing what I feel I'd be best for my Marines and being good at it.
    Great attitude Sir, I wish you well in your career. Always remember that Marines do not need to be treated like they are special, they just need to be treated fairly. A good officer that does not cave under pressure is certainly respected.

Thread Information