Marine Military Police
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Marine Military Police

I have been quite curious and couldnt find a straight answer anywhere else, but how hard is it to become a Marine Military Police Officer? I know there is a certain ASVAB score you need to receive but other then that what other qualifications are needed?

Thanks!

None, it's super easy, even a cave man can do it.

Doesn't really matter either way.

Marine Corps Enlisted Job Descriptions
    MOS 5811 - - Military Police

Type of MOS : PMOS
    Rank Range: MGySgt to Pvt
    Job Description: Military police perform assigned mi:itary law enforcement duties to uphold the criminal justice system, maintain good order and discipline, and support the commander's law enforcement and security requirements in peacetime and combat operations. Typical duties include foot and motorized patrol, control of pedestrian and vehicular traffic, flight line security, crime prevention/physical security, desk sergeant, communications dispatcher, squad leader, operations sergeant, platoon sergeant, and provost sergeant billets. MOS 5811 is very demanding in that the military police are confronted with every form of violation and criminal liability, misdemeanor through felony.
    Job Requirements:
    (1) Must possess a GT score of 100 or higher {not waiverable) .

(2) Training and certification:

(a) Active duty Marines must complete the Law Enforcement Military Police (MP) Course at the United States Army Military Police School (USAMPS).

(b) Prior service Reserve Marines, non-MOS qualified, may be certified for MOS 5811 also by attending the MP Course, or if unable to attend the regular MP Course, they may be certified as an AMOS-only, by the unit commander upon successful completion of the Alternate Training Instructional Program (ATIP) of Marine Force Reserves. The ATIP for MOS 5811 consists of all of the following: serving 6 months in a Reserve MP billet; successful completion of Military Police Course (Reserve), Phase I and II of the Army School System (TASS), demonstrated proficiency of Individual Training Standards (core tasks for MOS 5811) as outlined in Marine Corps Order 1510.86C; and favorable endorsement by an MP Inspector-Instructor. As described in COMMARFORRES Order 1535.1, some core tasks, which are not acquired at the TASS course, can be accomplished/demonstrated through Managed On-Job-Training (MOJT) .

(3) Must be eligible for a secret security clearance.

(4) Must have normal color vision (not waiverable).

(5) Must be 19 years old prior to completion of formal school (not waiverable) .

(6) Must have a minimum height of 65 inches with weight in proportion (waiverable to 62 inches).

(7) Must be a U.S. citizen.

(8) Must have valid state driver's license (not waiverable).

(9) Must have vision correctable to 20/20.

(10) Must possess clarity of speech.

(11) Must have no history of mental, nervous, or emotional disorders (not waiverable) .

(12) No convictions by special or general courts-martial or civil courts (except minor traffic violations); no nonjudicial punishment convictions involving illegal drugs, spouse abuse/domestic violence, or immoral character (not waiverable).
    Duties: For a complete listing of duties and tasks, refer to MCO 1510.86, Individual Training Standards.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlis.../a/5811new.htm

Marine Corps Officer Job Descriptions
    MOS 5803 - - Military Police Officer

MOS/Title: 5803 -- Military Police Officer
    Type of Officer : Unrestricted Line Officer
    Rank Range: LtCol to 2ndLt
    Job Description: Military police officers function as supervisors, coordinators, and administrators of law enforcement matters.
    Job Requirements:
    (1) This MOS will be assigned to officers who have a background and/or education in law enforcement.

(2) complete the Military Police Officers Basic (MPOB) Course at the United States Army Military Police School (USAMPS), or six months On-the-Job Training (OJT) accompanied by a favorable recommendation from the commanding officer. Upon successful completion of 6 months of observed fitness report time in a Reserve Military Police (MP) billet, a favorable endorsement from a military police unit inspector/instructor, drilling Reserve unrestricted officers may request 5803 designation via an Administrative Action form to CMC (POS).
    Duties: For a complete listing of duties and tasks, refer to MCO 1510.86B, Individual Training Standards for the Military Police and Corrections Occupational Field 58.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/officerj3/a/5803.htm

Interesting, I didn't know officers held a different MOS. They still go to Ft. Leonard Wood, and still do most of the training. Sometimes they were't there, left early, or had to complete officer-specific training. We had I think 4 2ndLT's and a Captain with us, it was motivating to see them plan and run the city assault at the end of training.

Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    Marine Corps Enlisted Job Descriptions
    MOS 5811 - - Military Police

Rank Range: MGySgt to Pvt
    Job Description: Military police perform assigned mi:itary law enforcement duties to uphold the criminal justice system, maintain good order and discipline, and support the commander's law enforcement and security requirements in peacetime and combat operations. Typical duties include foot and motorized patrol, control of pedestrian and vehicular traffic, flight line security, crime prevention/physical security, desk sergeant, communications dispatcher, squad leader, operations sergeant, platoon sergeant, and provost sergeant billets. MOS 5811 is very demanding in that the military police are confronted with every form of violation and criminal liability, misdemeanor through felony.
    Job Requirements:
    (1) Must possess a GT score of 100 or higher {not waiverable) .

(2) Training and certification:

(a) Active duty Marines must complete the Law Enforcement Military Police (MP) Course at the United States Army Military Police School (USAMPS).

(b) Prior service Reserve Marines, non-MOS qualified, may be certified for MOS 5811 also by attending the MP Course, or if unable to attend the regular MP Course, they may be certified as an AMOS-only, by the unit commander upon successful completion of the Alternate Training Instructional Program (ATIP) of Marine Force Reserves. The ATIP for MOS 5811 consists of all of the following: serving 6 months in a Reserve MP billet; successful completion of Military Police Course (Reserve), Phase I and II of the Army School System (TASS), demonstrated proficiency of Individual Training Standards (core tasks for MOS 5811) as outlined in Marine Corps Order 1510.86C; and favorable endorsement by an MP Inspector-Instructor. As described in COMMARFORRES Order 1535.1, some core tasks, which are not acquired at the TASS course, can be accomplished/demonstrated through Managed On-Job-Training (MOJT) .

(3) Must be eligible for a secret security clearance.

(4) Must have normal color vision (not waiverable).

(5) Must be 19 years old prior to completion of formal school (not waiverable) .

(6) Must have a minimum height of 65 inches with weight in proportion (waiverable to 62 inches).

(7) Must be a U.S. citizen.

(8) Must have valid state driver's license (not waiverable).

(9) Must have vision correctable to 20/20.

(10) Must possess clarity of speech.

(11) Must have no history of mental, nervous, or emotional disorders (not waiverable) .

(12) No convictions by special or general courts-martial or civil courts (except minor traffic violations); no nonjudicial punishment convictions involving illegal drugs, spouse abuse/domestic violence, or immoral character (not waiverable).
    Duties: For a complete listing of duties and tasks, refer to MCO 1510.86, Individual Training Standards.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlis.../a/5811new.htm

Marine Corps Officer Job Descriptions
    MOS 5803 - - Military Police Officer

MOS/Title: 5803 -- Military Police Officer
    Type of Officer : Unrestricted Line Officer
    Rank Range: LtCol to 2ndLt
    Job Description: Military police officers function as supervisors, coordinators, and administrators of law enforcement matters.
    Job Requirements:
    (1) This MOS will be assigned to officers who have a background and/or education in law enforcement.

(2) complete the Military Police Officers Basic (MPOB) Course at the United States Army Military Police School (USAMPS), or six months On-the-Job Training (OJT) accompanied by a favorable recommendation from the commanding officer. Upon successful completion of 6 months of observed fitness report time in a Reserve Military Police (MP) billet, a favorable endorsement from a military police unit inspector/instructor, drilling Reserve unrestricted officers may request 5803 designation via an Administrative Action form to CMC (POS).
    Duties: For a complete listing of duties and tasks, refer to MCO 1510.86B, Individual Training Standards for the Military Police and Corrections Occupational Field 58.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/officerj3/a/5803.htm
    Thanks a lot WMarine!! This is exactly what I was looking for!

Polizei or any other Marine MPs out there,

I am at TBS right now, and it's that time to select MOSs. I put MP #2 on the wishlist. Being in LE is something that has interested well before the Marine Corps. I was hoping that you or some of the other MPs on here can give me some gouge on what it is MPs do and perhaps shed some light on what the officers do. I know there's the obvious garrison side that you see everyday on bases. I have heard there is a field side as well? I've also read that there are some pretty sweet schools you can go to for LE. They haven't really told us much about any of the MOSs so most of my knowledge is from asking others, and I haven't seen many MP officers around here or know anybody to ask. Thanks and SF!

Honestly, I don't think the officers get to do much 'fun' stuff as MP's from what I can see. I might be wrong, though.

I dont even think I've ever seen a Marine officer thats an MP before.

And that says alot considering I worked with military working dogs and an entire MP company for a deployment to Iraq.

They are rarer than Hen's teeth.

Ive seen like 1 warrant officer MP and he was the man in charge

Thanks everyone. We just had our "MOS mixer" where we got to talk to officers in every MOS. The MP Capt said there's only one Lt for all of Quantico and like one Capt for all of Quantico, so I guess it makes sense they're not very visible.

Sgt Leprechaun, I'm getting the general feeling that you don't actually get to do very much of anything that's cool in your specific MOS. The MP officer said that on the MP side, you really have to chase after it or you'll get stuck doing the boring stuff. But I guess even on the grunt side, an officer can get stuck being an XO or S3-A as a first billet and not get to "kick in doors."

LT, true. But the grunts do, in my opinion, get to do more 'fun' stuff from what I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Geagle05 View Post
    Thanks everyone. We just had our "MOS mixer" where we got to talk to officers in every MOS. The MP Capt said there's only one Lt for all of Quantico and like one Capt for all of Quantico, so I guess it makes sense they're not very visible.

Sgt Leprechaun, I'm getting the general feeling that you don't actually get to do very much of anything that's cool in your specific MOS. The MP officer said that on the MP side, you really have to chase after it or you'll get stuck doing the boring stuff. But I guess even on the grunt side, an officer can get stuck being an XO or S3-A as a first billet and not get to "kick in doors."
    If you head to a small airstation you're gonna be stuck in an office, but if you head to Lejeune or Pendleton as a 2nd or 1st LT you can end up as the Watch Commander which is where the fun is at. You can go to all the calls if you want, bash some heads if necessary and let Lcpl numbnuts do all the paperwork.

If you're assigned to a field unit your a PLT Commander. no different then being in the Infantry

Do they still have the Provost Marshal Office in the Marine Corps? I would think that there is a Provost Marshal who is in charge of all M.P. on the base.

Thread Information