IF I were to be dropped from Sniper School...
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

IF I were to be dropped from Sniper School...

Would I be bumped down to 0311 or 0331 automatically? Or would I have the opportunity to pick another MOS? I've heard different things so I'm not sure. I did a search, but I didn't find anything, so sorry is this was already asked.

Thanks, Marines

You go back to your scout/sniper platoon and wait for another opportunity. that's assuming you werent dropped for an integrity violation. if you cheat on the range or help your partner then they will not hesitate to drop you.

Theres no shame in failing scout/sniper school. A lot of PIGS are more then some HOGS they just couldnt get all the points they needed to graduate, made a mistake on the stalking lanes, etc.

Depends on what you did before that. If you are attempting to become a Scout/Sniper, remember that 8541 is a secondary MOS, you would've already earned your primary MOS which would be an infantry MOS of some sort. On the other hand, if you're non-infantry and going to the school to be qualified such as Marine Security or something along those lines, you would still have a primary MOS and you would simply go back to your unit.

its 0317 now. Not 8541. Just for future reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty Puffs View Post
    its 0317 now. Not 8541. Just for future reference.
    I stand corrected, thank you.

In my opinion, you're getting ahead of yorself. Take it one step at a time. Talk with a recruiter and take the ASVAB first. Do you have anything that may require a waiver......medically or criminally? Do you have any weight to lose?

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
    Depends on what you did before that. If you are attempting to become a Scout/Sniper, remember that 8541 is a secondary MOS, you would've already earned your primary MOS which would be an infantry MOS of some sort. On the other hand, if you're non-infantry and going to the school to be qualified such as Marine Security or something along those lines, you would still have a primary MOS and you would simply go back to your unit.
    So to attempt at Scout Sniper, I would have to already have an already achevied MOS like Rifleman? So if I for some reason couldn't go back I would just Go back to Rifleman?

Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    In my opinion, you're getting ahead of yorself. Take it one step at a time. Talk with a recruiter and take the ASVAB first. Do you have anything that may require a waiver......medically or criminally? Do you have any weight to lose?
    I am extremely fit, I do the insanity workouts, have been for a few months. So im fit physically. Although I do have diagnosed depression. Though minor, I'm sure I'll still need a waiver. But I hear those are uncommon these days, Will this DQ me? Or is that only if you take medication for it? I haven't taken it in over a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannaberekeke View Post
    So to attempt at Scout Sniper, I would have to already have an already achevied MOS like Rifleman? So if I for some reason couldn't go back I would just Go back to Rifleman?
    Well, thats the way it used to go. Now that Scout/Sniper is an 03 MOS, it may have changed. That looks like a primary MOS rather than the secondary 8541 it used to be. Since my intel is apparently old, I'm going to back off before I give you incorrect information.

heres how it works dude:

-go to boot camp
    -go to SOI
    -Go to your unit
    -Every battalion has a Scout/Sniper platoon. They will eventually hold an Indoc or Screener (basically a haze fest that ranges anywhere from 24 hours to 2 weeks depending on the unit. A screener could also simply be an interview)
    -If you qualify for the indoc or screener you can take it. If the platoon likes you and you pass, you will be accepted in
    -You must be in the platoon for a year and a half before you can go to Scout/Sniper school
    -Many Marines serving in a SSP never get a chance to go to Sniper school but they are still successfull in the scout/sniper billet.

And dont tell anyone a damn thing about your depression. They WILL DQ you for that ****. And like WM said, One step at a time. dont get ahead of yourself.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannaberekeke View Post
    I am extremely fit, I do the insanity workouts, have been for a few months. So im fit physically. Although I do have diagnosed depression. Though minor, I'm sure I'll still need a waiver. But I hear those are uncommon these days, Will this DQ me? Or is that only if you take medication for it? I haven't taken it in over a year.
    That's a DQ!!!

ya if you have depression you're not gonna last very long in the community. it's not necessarily the "happiest" job in the world. and by the way, it's nothing like how you think its going to be.

What if I get asked about depression? Just say no?

Having diagnosed depression is a DQ like RhoneIsland said, and DO NOT lie about it, it will catch up to you.
    Your best bet is to talk with a recruiter.

Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Commission
    Mental Health Conditions
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...a/neurotic.htm

Thread Information