What to bring to ITB
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings

What to bring to ITB

Good Afternoon Marines, Just graduated Boot Camp at MCRD SD on Feb 26. 1st Bn, Delta Co. Plt. 1061. Next step for me is ITB on March 9. I know to bring everything I was issued and my orders but I was wondering how much civilian clothing to bring. I had heard that every now and then I would be granted weekend liberty. Any thing else that would be helpful to have? Thanks again Marines

Credits
    Savings
    Congrats Marine! Now change that signature.
    Been a while since I was there. Many Marines have there cell phones. They frown on laptops, net books or what ever else they are called.
    You really won't have a need for a lot of civilian clothes. A couple changes.

I wouldn't bring much...maybe a few pairs of clothing, underwear, etc. and a pair of shoes. Yea it gets boring wearing the same thing every time, but believe me it's better than taking a ton of crap with you.

Absolutely. There is no fun in the sea bag drag. The less you bring the easier your life will be.

It's not like boot camp where you have family/friends to help you haul all your stuff to the car.

BTW, Congrats!

I would bring only one pair of civvies. You might not even get libo (chances are that you will) and chances are that nobody is going to notice you wore the same thing each weekend. If you feel like you REALLY need more, fine, there are plenty of places to shop once you get there.

I would recommend dressing a little bit nicer than jeans and tshirt too. You never know what you're going to get into, and its good to be prepared. A pair of khakis and a shirt with a collar will be fine. Get some non-tennis shoes and you're set.

I would take a cell phone but that will be used primarily when out in town. During evening libo you can call home, but unless things have changed, you can't get s*** for a cell signal in the 52 area. (SOI) There are phones there on base to use. I used a phone card so I didn't have to keep dumping quarters into it, but its your call.

Other than that, I wouldn't take anything. Most of your time will be spent training. Anything you find that you really want once you get there can be easily purchased either on base or in town.

Oh, another suggestion I just remembered....I would HIGHLY recommend new boots when you get there, if you don't like the ones you have. When I was done with MCT, I purchased the Bates Lites, and they are fantastic boots, especially if you are humping or running. I paid $113 for them a little less than a year ago. I WISH I would have bought them before MCT, and used them during.

Quote Originally Posted by polizei View Post
    Oh, another suggestion I just remembered....I would HIGHLY recommend new boots when you get there, if you don't like the ones you have. When I was done with MCT, I purchased the Bates Lites, and they are fantastic boots, especially if you are humping or running. I paid $113 for them a little less than a year ago. I WISH I would have bought them before MCT, and used them during.
    If you're going to do that though, I would highly recommend doing it ASAP to try to get them broken in before you're doing a 15 mile hump in new boots.

Very true, but the Bates Lites I'm talking about don't really need to be broken in. Now, my Danners on the other hand...yea, I can't imagine doing a hump in those (not broken in). You should be fine if you get the Bates Lites though...I would run a mile or so in them.

Very true, but the Bates Lites I'm talking about don't really need to be broken in. Now, my Danners on the other hand...yea, I can't imagine doing a hump in those (not broken in). You should be fine if you get the Bates Lites though...I would run a mile or so in them.
    They had those at cash sales and I lusted after them, but at that point I was in MRP and didn't want to spend money on something I didn't know if I'd get to use.

Now, after being reassigned to the 2nd CivDiv, I'm still thinking about getting a pair for camping and whatnot. I'm assuming there is no insulation, and therefore would be a summer boot. Any idea if they make it without the Eagle Globe and Anchor for us nasty civilians? I was also looking at the Danner Desert Acadias and Lowa.

You can still get them if your out of service, you're still a Marine. I've found them online before....but I think they were ~$140 or so in the civilian market. And yes, they are a summer boot with no insulation, no steel toe/shank. They are extremely lite (about the same as a regular gym shoe), and fantastic boot. But because of the material used, the soles do wear down faster than another boot with a hard sole, but it's not really that fast at all.

And you can use them in the colder climates as well, I just wouldn't use them if it's extremely cold. Get a pair of the insulated, padded boot socks. I forget who makes them, but every base sells them...starts with a "T" I think. They are around $14 a pair though, but WELL worth it, trust me.

Try the Navy Exchange, etc. if all else fails, just try googling.

Semper Fi

You can still get them if your out of service, you're still a Marine. I've found them online before....but I think they were ~$140 or so in the civilian market. And yes, they are a summer boot with no insulation, no steel toe/shank. They are extremely lite (about the same as a regular gym shoe), and fantastic boot. But because of the material used, the soles do wear down faster than another boot with a hard sole, but it's not really that fast at all.

And you can use them in the colder climates as well, I just wouldn't use them if it's extremely cold. Get a pair of the insulated, padded boot socks. I forget who makes them, but every base sells them...starts with a "T" I think. They are around $14 a pair though, but WELL worth it, trust me.

Try the Navy Exchange, etc. if all else fails, just try googling.

Semper Fi
    I THINK the socks you're talking about are Thorlos, I've got some Smartwool ones too, but my feet tend to get cold real easy. Even in my gortex boots with the thicker boot socks on, if its near freezing and I'm outside for any amount of time, my little piggies get cold. The reason I was asking about the non EGA version is that technically, its considered wearing a uniform item out of uniform which is a no-go. I don't think anyone would ever say anything, but if they offer both, I'll get them without. Thanks for the info.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GDean View Post
    Good Afternoon Marines, Just graduated Boot Camp at MCRD SD on Feb 26. 1st Bn, Delta Co. Plt. 1061.
    Congrats Marine!!!

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

I found it helpful in SOI to have a Leatherman Tool with me. It can come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by GDean View Post
    Good Afternoon Marines, Just graduated Boot Camp at MCRD SD on Feb 26. 1st Bn, Delta Co. Plt. 1061. Next step for me is ITB on March 9. I know to bring everything I was issued and my orders but I was wondering how much civilian clothing to bring. I had heard that every now and then I would be granted weekend liberty. Any thing else that would be helpful to have? Thanks again Marines
    Welcome to the Marine Corps family and CONGRATS on EARNING the title....
    United States Marine!

Semper Fi!

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you for all your replies Marines. My plan is to buy some Bates Lights when I get situated at SOI. My Drill Instructor was raving about how comfortable they were. During ITB do you wear your jungle boots, or are you pretty much always in combats. A Drill Instructor swapped out his old jungles for my freshly issued ones early on in first phase so the tread on mine is pretty much non existant.

Thread Information