I am torn between the army and the marines, I can't decide which.
Create Post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

I am torn between the army and the marines, I can't decide which.

I really want to be on the front lines and fight for my country, I am not afraid of dying. The way I see it is if I die I have nothing to ever worry about. Now the reason I can't decide which I want to do is because I want to have a special job, such as Rangers, or Recon. I respect the Marine corps much more than the army but it seems that if I can't make the recon screening right from the start then I'm screwed and will never get another chance. Army on the other hand let's their people work up to where they want to go, like ranger training. Is what I'm saying true? This is from some research I've been doing. I'm very concerned about passing recon screening because I am not a strong swimmer. My ultimate goal is to be a PJ for the USAF and I heard these professions would help me get there and give me a taste of what I am in for.

I also forgot to mention another reason I want these professions is because I absolutely want to be jumping out of aircraft.

lmao best bet is to join the Chair Force! it will take years for you to get to Ranger school. their drop out rate during the 2 week indoc is like 85 to 90%. Recon isn't much different but might me lighter on the mental load!

1: Fill out a profile

2: "Absolutely" join the Army, since they are the only ones who will "absolutely" guarantee you the ability to fall from a perfectly good working aircraft.

3: Style Point: It's "Marine Corps". Caps, please.

4: Every Marine is special. We are an Elite Corps of Fighting Marines. Period. Unlike the army, we don't wear special little dingle badges, patches, doodads and such to show how 'special' we are. The Eagle, Globe and Anchor does that quite nicely, thank you.

5: If your 'ultimate' goal is to be a PJ, then enlist into the Air Force now and avoid the middleman. They do have PJ contracts. Talk to a recruiter.

So army is the way to go huh? Allright then thankyou for your opinions. By the way ranger dropout is 60% not 90%. also there is program called Rip which test you for Ranger school. After completion of that you go to airborne and then off to Ranger school. It could take 2 years, 90% of the time it doesn't. Also I agree that every Marine is special however Rangers and Recon are on a whole other calibre of specialness. Those doodads you speak of are things that are earned through intense training that outrivals the standard Marine eagle that is earned after standard bootcamp. I thought that Recon jumps because they go to airborne school. According to the last poster thats not the case. Oh well then.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Ranger school has about a hundred seats a year for Marines. The Marines that graduate the school don't get a silly french hat or a tab to sew on their cammies. They don't need it. You want medals and gadgets to wear then join the Army. They hand them out at the chow hall.

Ranger school is under a lot of pressure to graduate their students. Something goes wrong the student is recycled not dropped.

There are a handful of MC schools that the attrition rate recieves no scrutiny. Basically there is no pressure to graduate anybody. You don't cut the mustard you go home end of story. Ranger school does not have that philosophy... they graduate as many people as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by cxerphax View Post
    So army is the way to go huh? Allright then thankyou for your opinions. By the way ranger dropout is 60% not 90%. also there is program called Rip which test you for Ranger school. After completion of that you go to airborne and then off to Ranger school. It could take 2 years, 90% of the time it doesn't. Also I agree that every Marine is special however Rangers and Recon are on a whole other calibre of specialness. Those doodads you speak of are things that are earned through intense training that outrivals the standard Marine eagle that is earned after standard bootcamp. I thought that Recon jumps because they go to airborne school. According to the last poster thats not the case. Oh well then.
    either way its still a high drop out rate, whether its 50%, 70% or 90% for indoc! for the school its self its 50% drop out. btw once you complete the school you are ranger qualified. Those who wear the scroll, don the tan beret and serve in a Ranger Battalion are Rangers. bet you knew that already! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    Ranger school has about a hundred seats a year for Marines. The Marines that graduate the school don't get a silly french hat or a tab to sew on their cammies. They don't need it. You want medals and gadgets to wear then join the Army. They hand them out at the chow hall.

Ranger school is under a lot of pressure to graduate their students. Something goes wrong the student is recycled not dropped.

There are a handful of MC schools that the attrition rate recieves no scrutiny. Basically there is no pressure to graduate anybody. You don't cut the mustard you go home end of story. Ranger school does not have that philosophy... they graduate as many people as possible.
    No, you can only be recycled if you did not commit any critical errors. That is pretty fair I think. They are not being pressured to graduate specs ops men, why would they have to do that? Where are you getting your information?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Good friend of mine is an instructor at Benning. Where are you getting your information?

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    Good friend of mine is an instructor at Benning. Where are you getting your information?
    . Well on YouTube the a lot of the school was caught on video. It is a 9 part series. Every detail about the school is shown. That is where I'm getting my info lol.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I found that youtube video you are talking about. Very interesting and informative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=astISOttCQ0

Why would they have to do that, you ask? Start with normal attrition rates in the Battalions, for one.

Recon Marines DO get allocated slots at Airborne school...BUT you are taking a huge 'leap of faith' that you would pass RIP (because yes, Recon has RIP as well), ARS, and then, finally, Airborne school. It is NOT a guarantee.

If you want to compare 'Ranger' to 'Marine Corps Infantry', this isn't the place. FYI, as a long time collector of militaria, I believe I'm far more qualified than you to decide what to call a 'doodad' and 'bauble' that is handed out for just 'being there'. Perhaps an example will educate you. Army uniform regulations state that if you, the young Private cxerphax, check into the 1st Ranger Battalion, you are entitled to wear, upon arrival, ALL the unit awards that Battalion has earned throughout it's career, despite the fact that you have done exactly ZERO to earn them. That's numerous Presidential Unit Citations, Valorous Unit Awards, and a JMUC. "Presto, your a hero".

Furthermore, you'll be issued the standard Shoulder Sleeve insignia, in the shape of a scroll, signifying your unit affiliation. This scroll states "1st Ranger Battalion". Everyone in the Bn wears it, Ranger qualified or NOT. (Ranger Qual is designated by a scroll stating simply 'RANGER'). Cooks, bakers, truck drivers, and clerks. Those same clerks, cooks, and truck drivers ALSO wear the PUC, JMUC, VUA, etc etc.

That doesn't count the Distinctive Unit Insignia, Unit Crests, Special Beret (tan) and Shoulder Cord, all to identify that you are 'special'. Also all given out, upon 'check in' (The blue shoulder cord you get when you graduate Army Infantry training). OH, and let's not forget the 'green combat leadership tab' identifiers worn by all Army NCO's now as well.

Baubles, geegaws, and doodads, indeed.

Unlike the Marine Corps, where if you see one of OUR signature blocks, you can be sure that Marine EARNED every single one of those awards.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    1: Fill out a profile

2: "Absolutely" join the Army, since they are the only ones who will "absolutely" guarantee you the ability to fall from a perfectly good working aircraft.

3: Style Point: It's "Marine Corps". Caps, please.

4: Every Marine is special. We are an Elite Corps of Fighting Marines. Period. Unlike the army, we don't wear special little dingle badges, patches, doodads and such to show how 'special' we are. The Eagle, Globe and Anchor does that quite nicely, thank you.

5: If your 'ultimate' goal is to be a PJ, then enlist into the Air Force now and avoid the middleman. They do have PJ contracts. Talk to a recruiter.
    I was LMAO when I read #4.I swear the Army has a ribbon/badge/patch/doodad for driving a jeep.

Don't forget you need your 35 pieces of flair when you join the army!

"I'm not afraid of dying"...I love that saying...as if it's supposed to mean something.

Sure, there is nothing to be afraid of, your dead. However, when you die you'll probably get someone else killed in the process and that's something that should scare you!

Why are you here? What do you want us to tell you? You want us to convince you of what to do? You want to be a motivated ooh-rah killer? Join the army, they have more people and ergo more slots. Competition in the Marines for our SOC units is more fierce because there aren't as many. There you go, you have your answer.

Thread Information