Veterans Affairs Committee
Create Post

Veterans Affairs Committee

A 1st ANGLICO Marine who has been very actively supporting veterans for years has an opportunity to speak for two minutes soon, and submit supporting documents.

I'm a dummy in this area. If there are specific examples of current VA shortcomings, or specific corrective actions, PM or email me and I'll make sure he sees your input.

This 1st ANGLICO Marine is Capt. Jeff Estep, who served during the 80's.

Credits
    Savings

I can help too...

I was just thinking of making a thread for this as well...

I am quite versed in the VA and their processes...

Story: Got out in 2000 w/ service connected disability of 50% (non-combate related)

In 2 years, I was re-evaluated (by my request) and they said I only qualify for 50%. I appealed and after waiting another 1.5 yrs was upgraded to 70% (comp. retro)

I also used Voc Rehab...and the GI bill...

Some states also over service connected benefits

The info is all out there but sometimes it's hard to find or ambiguous...

**For those still in or going in...get EVERYTHING that is wrong (illness, injury etc) documented in your Med records...The USMC WILL NOT take care of you out when you get out. The gov't will...to a certain extent if you are documented. ..."No pain, no gain, suck it up, etc"...is B/S...you owe it to yourself to get what you deserve...**

S/F

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Have him join this Forum.
    That way he can ask away.

What's with the PM or email thing ???

You Know you posted a Thread in the Veterans Affairs forum Right???

I can barely get Jeff to get on the ANGLICO forum

He not only does a lot of volunteer work for disabled veterans but he has a sizeable business to run. One difficulty with some forums is that the members are pretty much anonymous. That's good for protecting personal information, but not of much use if he needs specific, documentable examples.

Jeff can't be everwhere and run a business, and prep for this hearing, so I'm just trying to locate some examples that he can review, and pick some to use in the hearings.

I run the ANGLICO website/forum, and I've met Jeff personally at the 2008 ANGLICO reunion at Quantico. He's a great guy.

S/F

Vance Hall

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Oh, Ok Brother.

That's a Great Service you are doing for him.
    I have no complaints.
    I've been with the VA for almost 30 years, I am Thankfull for what I receive and I see the VA Heading in the Right Direction.

I post Threads in the Veterans Affairs Forum Weekly with Updates for all My Brothers and Sisters here and for those who stop by to read.

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

From the inside looking out..............

Rocky,

what do you see as improvements that would
    1. ensure that imposters who want a free ride are weeded out
    2. improve the timeliness and effectiveness of the system for the legitimate veterans
    These are my questions, not Jeffs. I'm not sure what his perspective is, but I think he want's Congress to provide more resources, especially internet related.

As for me, I've only contacted a regional center once. It wasn't to get benefits for me, it was to get some advice for a project I initiated to assist some veterans. But, the experience gave me some insight. I think the folks that answer the phone in this particular center aren't qualified to do much of anything. I have met one of the supervisors at a MCL meeting and he was pretty sharp. I wonder if the salary scale is so low that applicants for the front-line public interface positions are just not up to snuff. That's from the outside looking in, I have no way to assess the problem. All I know is that I could barely communicate with the folks there in the King's English, and I just got passed from one person to another until I wound up with the person I began with. I know they are well-intentioned, and it is no fault of theirs that they were never taught to speak the same version of English that 90% of us speak. But I couldn't communicate with them.

In a similar situation, with certainty, I can say that some of my friends with PTSD issues and a short fuse would have said "F-it" in short order and never called back. They'd rather just die and go away than put up with the frustration.

Is the problem the budget that Congress allocates to the VA and the resulting salary scale for entry-level employees? I have other friends who work for State veterans organizations who, like you, are very concerned and go overboard to help veterans. I just don't have the experience to assess the overall situation.

Any insight would be helpful. What does the VA need in order to become more effective?

Credits
    Savings
    That's a million dollar question there pal...I have no idea what to say. ...I've just about always have have had a good experience with the VA (all dept.'s)... and it's eerily similar in a lot of ways to some large corporations that I work with...

what can be done? hmmmmm....

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Once again,

I have no Complaints with the VA.
    Top Notch in my opinion.

Maybe someone else will come along with some insight for you.

Good Luck.

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Thread Information