A few questions regarding Marine Officers
Create Post

A few questions regarding Marine Officers

I am currently working in Japan and will be trying to go to OCS upon return to the US.

I had a few questions about being a Marine officer that I haven't been able to find the info for yet (I tried the search function)

1. I love and live for physical training, this is one thing that attracts me to the Marines over other branches. How much freedom of designing one's own personal training program is allowed as a Marine Officer? How about during OCS? I understand that PT is required during OCS but will there be any opportunity to insert personal training plans? Are Marine officers required to PT daily upon assignment of their MOS?

2. When I return Stateside I will not have a home and I will not be "moving" into a place anywhere until I get the opportunity for OCS. Rather, I will stay with my brother in Toronto to train and prepare until the time comes. During the Candidate Screening process, how often will I need to check in or meet with my recruiter? My recruiter is in San Diego so its helpful to be able to guess around how many trips to plan for.

3. I've read much about the conflict between going Enlisted before trying for a comission versus going straight to OCS from college. The biggest issue I see is respect Enlisted Marines will have for you as an Officer. As someone who wants to be a leader in the most effective military branch on Earth having the respect of any soldiers I will lead is extremely important. What mentality will help me build that repoir with Enlisted soldiers even though I haven't been through their ranks?

I apologize in advance if any of this has been adressed before or if my questions seem to suggest I've gotten ahead of myself as I truly expect to accomplish my goals.

Thank you for any answers or advice you can provide MARINES

1 more thing,

M recruiter told me that I should prepare letters of recommendation before meeting with him in San Diego.

Is there an official form or will any style of letter do?

Credits
    Savings
    1. Don't worry about implementing your own personal training programs in OCS/TBS because you won't have time. After that you will be able to PT on your own whenever you want.

2. I have no idea about that, but I saw my recruiter weekly for almost a year before I shipped. Maybe you can talk to a recruiter in the Buffalo, NY area to cut down on travel time/ expenses.

3. No of us are soldiers we are Marines, the first thing you should know is to not ever call any one of us by any other title and you will have a good start. Know your job, take care of your Marines and actually care about your Marines and their problems/issues and the respect will come easily.

4. No there isn't a form, pick a few people that have known you for a decent amount of time (preferably people you respect that are leaders) and just have them write a letter about why they think you would be a good leader of Marines.

Lastly use all the resources that you can (including this site) to prepare for the challenge of getting a shot at leading the most elite Warriors this world has ever seen.

The only thing I can comment on is how to gain the respect of the Marines you lead... my one tip for you would be to not act like you know everything. Don't try to lead by yourself because you don't know what it's like for us unless you've done it. Instead, when you get to your first duty station lead alongside the SNCOIC. As an officer you will of course be "in charge"... but know that if you're a LT fresh out of OCS and you **** off a SNCO you're probably going to regret it.

The responses and advice is much appreciated. My apologies for the use of "soldier" I'll correct that from now on.

Thank you MARINES

Thread Information