Motivational Article - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks Tom,

I went back to PI for the first time just a few months ago. I believe it has changed just about as much as I have. I have always wanted to visit Oyster Bay. I guess it is just the name the that catches my fantasy. Back when I had occasion to travel, I did get to New York City a couple times. Didn't really see anything there that made me want to go back, buy Oyster Bay sounds different.

If you were in Monroe, I would probably see you frequently. I am currently living in an assisted living facilities, and these people send me to the emergency room at the drop of the hat. I am on medical therapy for my heart and take 38 pills a day (heart, Parkinson Disease, seizures, low blood pressure, high blood pressure, and you name it.) Recently my cardiologist has finally decided I am over medicated and has begun to reduce my medication. Despite all this I am still ambulatory and get around well on a cane. (Will not mention this again.)

I say without hesitation, the Marine Corps is my motivation. My outlook on life, I acquired from the Corps.

I spend more time on the computer than I should, but I don't really have anything that demands my time. I enjoy it, particularly since I have begun to talk with you guys.

Tell me about Oyster Bay some time.

Bob,
    I have to agree with Tom, you Marines of WWII set the bar for all future generations of Marines. All of us view what you went through as truly heroic, and you have our deepest respect.
    Thank-you!

Quote Originally Posted by stratienko View Post
    To Bob Allen: Lt. Clark King was my late father. Thank you for writing about him. After the Marine Corps, Dad went on to coach football at VMI. After several years he earned his Phd from the University of Virginia and spent almost forty years teaching at VMI. I will share your story with my brother, sister and children.

Lisa King Stratienko
    Lookout Mountain, TN
    stratienko@aol.com
    Lisa,

I just now came across your post. I am sorry to hear about the loss of Clark. He must have been a wonderful man. In the late 1990s I was in contact with him several times, but then lost contact with him. At the time I was doing research on the First Battalion of the 28th Marines.

I would certainly love to hear about you and the rest of his family. I have had a wonderful life. I lost the light of my life last year after 59 years together. I have two girls, one with nine children and the other with two. A few months ago one of my grandsons chose the Marine Corps instead of college. I hope he didn't make a mistake. Both of my girls are school teachers, one chours and the other theatre. They both have good husbands and have good lives.

East Ridge is full of my relatives.

Keep in contact.

WHITE CROSSES AND STARS OF DAVID

At 0730 Monday, March 26, 1945, 395 battle-weary Marines from the First Battalion of the 28th Marines, left Kitano Point for the Fifth Marine Division Cemetery to bid 225 intimate friends and comrades a final farewell. As they approached the cemetery entrance, the men instinctly straightened their shoulders and took on the air of Marines in review. Tears flowed freely. Occasional sobs penetrated the sound of crunching black volcanic ash under the marching feet of the surviors. Unconsciously, the men marched in unison. As they passed through the hallowed archway entering into the cemetery, an endless field of stark white crosses, with intermittent Stars of David stared back at them.

After a brief memorial service paying homage and respect to those making the supreme sacrifice in the taking of Iwo Jima, the men dispersed among the markers to find the graves of their fallen buddies. An occasional gasp or "Oh no!" broke the silence as men discovered crosses or Stars of David bearing the names of comrades they thought to still be alive. Soon the milling stopped and small groups of Marines knelt by white crosses or Stars of David.

Following tearful good-byes, the men retrieved their gear and somberly proceeded to the beach to embark. As they silently marched away, grief-stricken individuals glanced over their shoulders toward a particlure white cross and Star of David for a final glimpse.

At 1535, 395 of the 1,195 Marines who fought with the 1st Battalion of the 28th Marines began boarding the USS Zeilin for their long voyage back to Hiwaii. During their thirty-six days on Iwo Jima, the men of the battalion had spent twenty-nine days on the front lines. Many of the 395 men had been wounded during the battle and had returned to the front lines for the taste of final victory. The cost of conquest for the battalion had been great.

Thread Information