Afghan Care Packages
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Afghan Care Packages

Hey guys, my girlfriend's daycare got together and they have roughly about 50-60 lbs of material to send to Afghan. I just called a local UPS store and they don't ship to APO's, and they only option they had was USPS Global, at a rate of over $800 to ship.

What's the best way to ship this stuff? I also need boxes, if anyone has ideas. It's suppose to go out soon...still trying to figure out if it's APO/FPO, and the city.

Thanks and Semper Fi

USPS Flat Rate. They give you the boxes too. For like the 10"X10"X5" boxes, they're like $13.00.

Go to your local post office. You can also get free boxes sent to you for free online on their website.

https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/sto...WT.ac=10001233

They are free Priority Mail APO/FPO Flat Rate Boxes and it costs $13 to send out each box. And don't forget your customs form for each box.

https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/sto...WT.ac=10000266

Sweet thanks. I called the local USPS store.

Semper Fi

Oh, and this is going to a unit in 1/3 if anyone cares. I think they're in southern Afghan.

Semper Fi

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I called my local recruiting office a few months ago, and was told we can drop anything off there. A company comes every 2 weeks or so and takes care of shipping the care packages overseas.The recruiters are obvioulsy busy, but the company handles everything - the office is just a drop-off site. My wife and I try to bring supplies there every other week or so, as money allows. Maybe you can call her local area recruiting office and see if you can drop the packages there. They could possibly handle all the shipping. However, I know it is a charitable organization that picks up the supplies and ships them, so this might only work in my area. Good luck, and thank you for your service.

Thanks for the offer, but I don't think anyone around here does that. Plus, this is going to an individuals platoon.

Ok guys new problem...the boxes I picked up yesterday are the large flat rate boxes. After building one, it's just not going to work. They are way too small. We have food, towels, baby wipes, etc. I'm going to call my recruiter and see if he has any thoughts. I need to send this stuff out but frankly can't afford to ship all this in those small boxes!

Semper Fi

polizei,

Flat rate boxes are not always the least expensive way to mail to APO addresses. Depending where the APO address is will determine if it is worth using the Flat Rate box.

... For example, my son's APO zip code begins with a "9" and since I live on the West Coast it is actually cheaper for me to ship in just old plain boxes. I learned this when I had packed 18 flat rate boxes at $13.00 something each with friends during the holidays.... and when I took them to the Post Office the clerk there said I was spending way too much to ship the 18 individual boxes. She told me to get two big boxes and put everything into two boxes. So instead of $234.00 dollars for 18 individual boxes I paid under $40.00 for two big boxes. If my son's APO zip code had started with a "0" (east coast) then maybe the Flat Rate boxes would have been helpful.

... so keep in mind what the APO zip code is and where you are shipping from.... a Postal worker should provide you with this information...

Hope that was helpful .... any other questions just let me know ... I also know a Marine Mom who is a postal worker.

Credits
    Savings
    Polizei,

What is the shipping rate? My company would be happy to make a donation to help with shipping the care packages to the 1/3 Marines.

Its the least I can do.

IDontWheeze, that would be fantastic. I'm not 100% sure on the rate, because I'm still trying to figure out the best way to ship it.

This is the address I have:

SPO AP 96607-4010

I'm not even sure what that means, but the girlfriend of the Marine who is in 1/3 says thats what she puts on the label (obviously with the 1/3 and unit number as well) and it gets to him.

Foreverproud, do you know if USPS ships big boxes not are not USPS boxes? IE. like you said, I won't have a problem getting a few big boxes locally, but will they also ship them?

Thanks everyone, this is a bit frustrating lol.

you also can take a big packing tub and send it. but no likie a plane brown box you can use. also if you want you can ask people to donate too.

Credits
    Savings
    Well just let me know when you figure it out, and I will take care of it. PM me your address and I will mail you a check. I've been reading alot about the 1/3 Marines over there, and I would be proud to help out in anyway I can.

One thing - I am getting married, and the funeral is on Sunday . I leave Tuesday for my honeymoon. If you can get me the info by Monday, I can mail you the check before I leave. Just PM me your name and address, and I will mail the check to you (I will overnight it if you want to get the stuff out fast). You can just cash the check and pay for the shipping. Just try to find the best rate you can.

Thanks again for your service. My family sleeps safe at night because Marines like you are willing to stand guard.

Thanks. Yea I'll try and figure it out by Monday. I want to get the things sent out fairly soon. I don't have too much info, I just know they're in southern Afghan (I think Helmand Province) which is one of the worst places right now. Trying to get much needed supplies to them, as I'm sure I would also like stuff if I was over there.

Credits
    Savings
    Okay. I just need to know the how much you need by Monday. Otherwise, I won't be home until next Saturday, and I'm sure you want to ship the packages ASAP. Worst case, I guess, is we have to wait until next Saturday. Just send me the info when you get it.

Thread Information