The difference between Marine/civi life????
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The difference between Marine/civi life????

I normally don't post here because my recruiters usually give me a great answer (and one of my school teachers is a retired Gunny who was in vietnam) well this one question has just been bugging me and it seems everyone has very different answers.

How big of a diffrence is Marine life from my life in the civilian world????? I'm asking because I graduate on May 21st and ship out on june 155th (03xx oh yes!!!) and this question has been bugging me. I asked my recruiters and they said its the same thing except for you wear uniforms, PT, discipline and deployment (there mostly airwing and Motor-T excpet my recruiter hes a Feild radio operator with a CAR and two deployments) and then the Gunny at my school tells me its totally different. I asked my SAI and AI (senior/army instructor) but I'm not told on there answers becaseu there retired Army (my AI was infantry for 21 years though). I would also like to know how different infantry life is different then regular Marine life.

I just grad on Feb 12 ...your life changes allot im adjusting to it right now people move way to slow for me . I have a hard time relateing with my friends too I feel like I could talk to my fellow Marines forever but I cant talk to my friends like that its kind of weird. My life is def going to be diffrent but I like the change every body experince will be diffrent just embrace it.

lol i forgot about ist and ship date prob should remove that

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I can only tell you how it was and is for me now.

Once I became a Marine my so called High School Friends became only My Acquaintances.

Once I left Active Duty I found out that I didn't have Much Tolerance for those people in Life that were not Marines.

I remain as Cordial as I can be with everyone because I am a Gentleman but still conduct myself in a Marine fashion in all aspects of My Life.

Once a Marine, Always a Marine........

Life in the Marine Corps--------Most everything and every thing you do is regimented for you. You are told constantly what you can do and what you cannot do. The Marine Corps is organized and you will not have to worry about it going bankrupt. The Marine Corps takes care of it own.

Civilian life on the other hand is one big Chinese Fire Drill. Nothing is organized in the civilian world and if you have a job that requires you to empty a waste basket, since nothing is organized it might sit there for a week and be overflowing before it is emptied.
    That will never happen in the Corps. The last thing is that you will always be looking over you shoulder at the bulliten board to see if the company has went belly up yet.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The difference between infantry Marines and non-infantry Marines is mainly in the nature of the jobs. The job of an infantryman is, at it's essence, very simple: to seek out, engage with, and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver. Non-infantry Marines exist to support the infantryman. Period.

You hear that grunts are the tip of the spear. This is true. The rest of the Corps is the pole the spear point is attached to, supporting and backing up the point.

However, non-infantry Marines are also trained to be infantry if the situation requires it and it has many times in Corps history (read up on the Battle of Wake Island for a good example of air wing turning into infantry).

The Marine Corps views war as serious as a heart attack. Mainly because it is.

RhodeIsland is right about your high school friends. If they don't go into the Corps too, you will probably drift apart. I have no contact with any of my high school friends and have not for decades. You will no longer have common life references, especially if you see combat.

Currently, most of my friends are former military, mostly Army and Navy (not too many Marines close around here for some reason), or cops. I still keep in touch with a few Marines I served with. And this mob too, of course.

You said the only differences are the uniform, discipline, deployments, PT...LOL thats a pretty big ****in difference.

Credits
    Savings
    Join me in the Infantry and ill show you

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member

Where would the Marine Corps be?......

If the grunt did not have the support of the machine gunner and mortar man? It is a very pretty sight to see a tank sitting behind your line to be called upon if needed. I cussed the supply man a many times because they wanted to give my men raggedy gear, but I also praised them because I needed to have them with 782 gear and flak jackets and helmets. And in the end they always came through. If you get in tight you may get a can of coffee or two. Some of that gear saved a many life. Couldn't get along with out them C-rats either.

Arty was always very loud, but when the FO called in a grid, they always came through, and took out the target. Couldn’t have called them if it wasn’t for the radioman and the wireman to keep that lines open. Even as shiat was hitting the fan. Thank God we didn’t have to send smoke signals or beat on drums. As a grunt you mostly hump and dig in and then hump again Hurry up, wait, hurry up, move out. But, Motor “T” was always a blessed sight, even if ya were herded into a cattle car, or in the back of a cold bumpy 6x6. That’s where the meat wagons come from too! Historically it is said the grunts and wing do not get along. Again count your blessings for the wing, when you need to make a tactical insurgent 40 miles from your starting location into a hot LZ.

Very impressive sight when you see 8 choppers in the sky bringing you reinforcements, water bulls, mules or a jeep. Hungry call the wing, they will drop the C-Rats by the pallets for you. The wing saved many a life by ferrying the wounded to ships offshore or to a field hospital. Remington Raiders, get a bad rap. But without them your pay and leave would not be. Keep a check on them though, because they are only human.

Cooks, God bless them! Try to cook for hundreds and not have a complaint. Get up at 0330 and sometimes don’t leave until 1900.Gotta love it!

How about them corpsman, do the same thing as the Marines and save lives too! All the “S” shops and HQ’s provide ya with mail, Intel, an azz chewing and a good laugh now and then.

I could go on and on, but by now you should understand where I’m coming from. I love the grunts; I wouldn’t have wanted to do anything else. I found it to be very rewarding. Every Marine is a rifleman. But it couldn’t be done without all of the Marine Corps MOS supports. Semper-Fi!

As far as high school friends go I have to agree with the others.....if you do run into them.....time has drifted apart......and they don't know the difference between the army and the Marine Corps.

They can still be your friend.....but over your Marine Corps hitch or career they will most likely turn into your acquaintances.

Credits
    Savings
    Everyone wants to be the hero...and i don't blame them at all. However every Marine helps in the accomplishment of the assigned mission, and you are 100% correct. And always give credit where credit is due. I attempt to still talk to old friends from back in the day, but you will come to find out there deficincies and weeknesses brewing in there life, and how much better your life is in the Corps. You will come to realize things and start to distance yourself almost completely from everyone you knew. You will never do it on purpose...but you will see, it will only take once or twice hanging out with old friends...and you tell stories that are hillarious to you, but they will never understand them. This isnt bad at all...it is just out Corps.

Thank you MArines for your responses, I really apprecite them. I know what you mean baout your friends, even know when I'm just DEP'ed in its hard, they don't understand that I want this and that I'v enot been brainwashed. I get a lot of flak from my JROTC buddies though (they are Army split-op soldiers) they always say "Hahahahhaah Cagle didn't even join a branch he joined a branch within a branch". I know when june 15th rolls around I'm not going to talk to them anymore.

Thank you again Marines for your answers.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Drill for life View Post
    Thank you MArines for your responses, I really apprecite them. I know what you mean baout your friends, even know when I'm just DEP'ed in its hard, they don't understand that I want this and that I'v enot been brainwashed. I get a lot of flak from my JROTC buddies though (they are Army split-op soldiers) they always say "Hahahahhaah Cagle didn't even join a branch he joined a branch within a branch". I know when june 15th rolls around I'm not going to talk to them anymore.

Thank you again Marines for your answers.
    They're just jealous they don't have the guts to join the Marine Corps and at least try to earn the title.

At least you aren't wearing a beret.

Where's WMarine? He said Gunny!!!! :-P

I'm sorry Sergeant, I meant to say Gunnery Sergeant. He lets us poolees call him Gunny.

Thread Information