can i get in with asthma?
Create Post

Smile can i get in with asthma?

ha ha ha sorry for posting this... i looked for asthma stories some helped some, didn't- anyway i had asthma from the time i was 11 till about now, i haven't used medication since i was about 14 (im 16 now) and run during the warmer months, winter i lift weights... and talked to a recuiter and he said if it isn't a problem then don't bother to make things harder for your self, just shut your mouth and get through it... i kinda like this and kinda don't, if the gas chamber hits my asthma then that would suck, but i want to serve and really don't have any other options... granted my asthma doesn't affect my performance but you never know... does anyone currently in the corps have asthma? thank alot guys!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It is a punish the masses kind of thing. You get one individual that uses asthama as a crutch and says I can not perform that task because I have exercise induced asthma and you end up with a blanket policy saying we don't want those kinds amongst us. In the long run the Marines don't want someone who will become a casualty before they even make it to the war.

You would have to demonstrate beyond doubt that you aren't a hump drop by entering a couple marathons and completing them or you name it physical demanding exercise without falling out. Then maybe possibly shadow of hope you could get in.

The PFT is a yard stick. To you it is a personal event but to commanders the average of the unit gives an idea of the over all fitness of the unit. If you are that guy that finishes the run in 27:59 and then has to go see the corpsman gasping for air then you are dead weight pulling the whole unit down and you really don't belong there.

Short answer ... No you can not get in if you have asthma.

In my opinion, you may want to have your user name changed since you're not a Marine and you're not in the 0300 field.
    You may also want to fill out all of yor profile so the Marines who are going to answer your questions, know who they are talking to. And read the rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums, also.

Do not lie about your asthma, because if you end up having an asthma attack after joining the Marine Corps, and you have a documented history of asthma from before you joined, that would be considered fraudulent enlistment and you could face very stiff punishments.

Don't even try to enlist out of respect for the Marine Corps!What if,one day,Marines are being killed while you're sitting gasping for air?Finding out, other Marines would most likely shoot you!

I got in having asthmea, I didn't run any marathons or do anything crazy. I just passed a pulmanary function test, it's where they have you breath into a tube to test your lung capacity. If it doesn't affect your performace, you should be able to pass it.

Quote Originally Posted by fespar View Post
    Don't even try to enlist out of respect for the Marine Corps!What if,one day,Marines are being killed while you're sitting gasping for air?Finding out, other Marines would most likely shoot you!
    Other Marines would shoot him if they found out he had asthma? I've known a few Marines who have asthma. They just brought their inhaler along on runs. I never once thought about killing them. Bit harsh don't you think?

A lot harsh me thinks. My husband has asthma and was a Marine. As long as it doesn't impeed PT and day to day activities there is a possiblility that you may be able to get in.

Asthma

Previously, any history of asthma was disqualifying, regardless of age. While medical waivers were sometimes possible, waiver approval usually required scheduling and passing a pulmonary function test. Under the new policy, Asthma is only disqualifying if it occurs after the applicant’s 13th birthday.

Medical record screening may still be required, depending on the applicant’s medical history. However, in many cases, a signed statement, attached to the medical pre-screening form, stating that the applicant did not have any type of asthma (including exercise induced, or allergic asthma) or treatment for asthma after their 13th birthday will be sufficient.
    Applicants who’ve experienced asthma or reactive airway disease after age 13 will require all medical documentation. Waivers may still be considered, depending on the applicant’s medical history and – possibly results from a pulmonary function test.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...y/a/asthma.htm

I'm not being smart or sarcastic by saying this....but I wouldn't count on getting a waiver approved for your asthma at this time, being that the Marine Corps is beyond their goals. The Marine Corps has higher standards now of who they want to recruit and would take any young man or woman who does not require any waivers of any type over you needing one for your asthma.

Waivers will still be 'considered'. That doesn't mean 'approved', and like WM says....

Don't get your hopes up. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try...but it's not a guarantee.

Thread Information