7 second phone call - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I remember being so flustered that I don't even dial a number to anyone, just pushed buttons. I just said into the phone 'Hi I made it, I'm safe, love you, I got food' then just hung it up and the DI was never the wiser.

We had a surprising amount of time for our first phone call. We did it in waves, so my guess is that one recruit was having a hard time getting ahold of anyone so they rest of us just kept talking. I got my mom's recorder and just kept talking.

A week or so later, we also signed a form letter saying we were safe that was mailed home giving our platoon number, etc. I kept every letter written or received during bootcamp and transcribed the voicemail I left for my mom, so I remember all of it.

I was writing a book awhile back about my experiences using my letters as a day to day update, but a computer virus destroyed several hundred pages. I'll have to do it again one of these days.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Cant wait til i get my 7 second phone call haha

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeIsland View Post
    Phone Calls???
    We didn't in 1977 Parris Island.
    I'm with you Rocky, 1975 3rd Bn no phone call.

I had integrity and let the DI know that nobody picked up my phone calls. It was frustrating and they kept bugging me to keep calling them every day until somebody picks up... too much of a hassle. I guess they're only doing it so they don't get phone calls from worried families every damn day.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    My son left yesterday at 12 noon for Parris Island and i received my phone call at 12:14 a.m. he sounded awesome and did not hear the DI in the background. he must have followed his directions pretty well hope he keeps it up

Quote Originally Posted by momreigle View Post
    My son left yesterday at 12 noon for Parris Island and i received my phone call at 12:14 a.m. he sounded awesome and did not hear the DI in the background. he must have followed his directions pretty well hope he keeps it up
    Ah, but the fun has only just begun. Give it a couple weeks

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by tdrt View Post
    Ah, but the fun has only just begun. Give it a couple weeks
    oh i know!! i'm just hoping he does good

He won't. No one does. But then again, in recruit training, 'good' is somewhat relative. He WILL screw up, he WILL get thrashed and he WILL lather, rinse and repeat. But as long as he learns as he goes and doesn't repeat his inevitable mistakes, he'll be fine.

Oh, momma, your baby is going to do just fine. But just know that it really doesn't matter how well he does, he will get his ass chewed for just breathing. It's inevitable. It's just part of the making of a Marine.

In 1992 3rd. Bn. PI we did not get a phone call. But someone called to say we've arrived safely, (from MEPS or recruiters office??) but my parents DID get a call, just not from me. They did have us send off postcards with our contact info only, right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracylaud83 View Post
    Quote "Thissss is RECRUIT Laudenslager, Don't send breakables or parishable, I have arrived, ahhhhhhhhh, (Yelling the background, sounded like D.I. was on the line yelling). pause, I'm alive, I'm fine, letter will be recieved in 7 days." CLICK

My wife look concerned, I doubled over laughing.
    The tears were from the thought that I will NEVER see my baby boy again. Next time it will be as a FELLOW MARINE.........
    Man, that must be a total trip! My wife and I are just now talking about kids...I couldn't imagine what it would be like to have a kid, let alone one that becomes a Marine. Best of luck to him!

BTW, no one was home for my call, I got the answering machine and basically left a sarcastic message (parents didn't own cell phones), which I got yelled at for doing.

No phone call either for me in 1975 3rd Bn PI. We did write a short note mailed the day after arrival. My head is still spinning...lol

i went to hollywood to get my eagle globe and anchor in 75 we had a call not quite sure what i said i did make a call the beginning of the fun and games

Phone call?! hell we'd only been away from home a short while

Thread Information