15 College Credits??? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    K thanks but I might just join the army and then later I can re inlist into the marines right?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretticus
    K thanks but I might just join the army and then later I can re inlist into the marines right?
    Why spend four years in the Army? Sounds to me like your ultimate goal is to become a Marine. You can spend a few months in school or a few years in the Army. You do the math.

take it from a GED graduate.

i dropped out of highschool to work 2 jobs and support my family,worked for a year,got a car...signed up for GED classes,went to classes for 3 months (tuesdays and thursdays 6-9) then i took the GED,passed all but the math portion (4 years of highschool math in 1 test..aint fun) had to re-take that portion,passed. i went to the recruiter "I want to be a Marine!" ok well you need 15 college credits to bring to tier 1,i went to MEPs they saw i had 6 college credits(from a previous semester),said "you MUST have 15 before you ship,or its a no go" i signed up for classes 4 classes each at 3 credits a class.i had to pass 3/4 of the classes,that was this semester...worked HARD,tutorting,staying after and talking to my teachers (two of which are former Marines) i now have 15 and am leaving febuary 25th for Parris Island.

all of that while working 25-30 hours a week,keep the g/f happy and paying my bills.it is COMPLETELY DO-ABLE GUYS AND GIRLS.

the program WILL work with you money-wise either through payment plan or a loan (if your attending a college)

any questions,PM me.

In some states you only need 12 credits. This is because states will differ on the amount of credits awarded to classes. Example: Minnesota awards 4 credits to a class, where North Dakota and Colorado only give 3 to the exact same class.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The Marine Corps has long had the toughest educational standards for enlistment. Each year, the Corps enlist approximately 40,000 recruits. Of this number, less than two percent are allowed to enlist with a GED as their sole educational credentials. The means roughly 800 GED applicants are enlisted annually. Now, if you take those 800 allocations and divide it by the 50 or so recruiting stations nationwide, that yeilds 16 slots for GEDs each. Each Recruiting Station (RS) has 10-12 Recruiting Substations (RSSs). This means your recruiter (at the RSS level) may only have the ability to enlist one or two GED applicants per year.

Additionally, recruiting directives state that the GED applicant must have completed the tenth grade in a traditional school before leaving to pursue a GED. Also, GED applicants must score above an Armed Forces Qualification Test (AFQT) score of more than 50 (AFQT 50 or above).

Fifteen college credits in academic studies listed in an accredited institutions course catalogue of 100 or above (i.e. English Composition 101) is seen as work/education equal to/greater than a traditional high school diploma.

Bottom line: You stand a better chance of getting in with the college credits. When you joined the DEP you knew a HS diploma was required to ship. Without a HS Diploma or College credits, you are basically saying, "take me as I am even though I understood I needed to meet your established education requirements." That is why the Corps is not just shipping you to training, because you failed to keep your end of the enlistment/DEP agreement. A GED also requires a waiver and this process is even more difficult for someone who was in the DEP and failed to graduate.

I hope this sheds light on your situation.

Credits
    Savings

Nothing to do with college credits... Just need help

About a year and a half ago I had signed a contract while in DEP for 8 years with the Marines.... It has been over a year now and all that should be dropped.... I am trying to join the Army and wanted to know if it would cause a code red or if I can get in without any problems. Please help me out

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Dep Discharge

When you failed to ship for the Marines, the command should have initiated a DEP discharge letter to notify you and the MEPS that you were not going to be shipping to training for the Corps. You can process for enlistment in another branch once the DEP discharge is posted by MEPS. This process then allows the next branch to have access to your ASVAB scores and physical results. You may be required to retake the ASVAB or a physical if these have expired.

Processing for another service should not be a problem once you are discharged from the USMC DEP.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretticus
    About a year and a half ago I had signed a contract while in DEP for 8 years with the Marines.... It has been over a year now and all that should be dropped.... I am trying to join the Army and wanted to know if it would cause a code red or if I can get in without any problems. Please help me out

I'm sure if you asked your Army recruiter, he will have the answer to that right away. Just a thought.

Credits
    Savings

Help

If I finish school can i join even though i have a felony 4th degree arson charge?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cariboulu151 View Post
    If I finish school can i join even though i have a felony 4th degree arson charge?
    No profile-no answers.

Credits
    Savings
    I thought my profile was finshed. How is it not finished?

Credits
    Savings

GO ARMY!!!!

I see everyone is saying that college credits will help your chances... but I also know that they will help you in rank.

I finished high school and then did two years of college, so I have like 64 credits. And my recruiter told me that if you have at least 15 credit hours, then you will get out of boot camp a PFC. So some college has it's benefits.

Good Luck

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I thought my profile was finshed. How is it not finished?
    It wasn't finished when I posted - I checked first. See the post by bigal for the answer to your question regarding a criminal record.

Credits
    Savings
    I was told that i could get a waiver if i finshed school. Is that true?

Thread Information