DEP for Non-High School Seniors? How long?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DEP for Non-High School Seniors? How long?

Let me start out this statement by saying that I had tried to use the search function and for some reason it does not seem to be functioning. Is anyone else having troubles with this part of the site?

I was meeting the SNCOIC of my RSS and while we where talking to be he asked about ship dates. I had informed him, as I had with my recruiter, that being a sophomore at a local community college I wanted to ship out to MCRD San Diego late May in the IIAD program as part of the SMCR. He said that only High School Seniors could stay in the DEP for one year. Since I was not a High School Senior I could only be in the DEP for 250 (that number might be off a few days I can’t remember the exact number) days. I when down the MEP for my ASVAB and was told that I can not enlisted if I want to ship in May after I finish school until late Aug early Sept.

My question is, is this true? I was searching over a number of MCO’s and could not find any references to how long a non-high school senior can stay in DEP. Does it matter that I am a student just not a high school student? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Any help, advice or guidance would be great, thank you!

Well, first of all, despite what anyone else says, your recruiter probably isn't lying to you, especially seeing as it was the SNCOIC and a MEPS liaison (I'm assuming it was the USMC liaison) backed up the story. Anyway, my advice to you would be either wait one more year or take a term off if it's possible and go through the whole training process during that time. Or, just stay in school and go officer. I mean, everyone has their reasons for doing things, but to me, going officer, especially when you're already in college would be the smarter choice. Tell your recruiter to get you hooked up with an OSO and use this next year to build your PFT and prepare yourself for being a leader of the Few and the Proud.

Of course, that's only if you want to go officer. Like I said, everyone has their reasons, but to me, that would be the smarter choice.

Oh I did not think her was lying I just wanted to know what MCO or MARADIM detailed the rules for how long I can be in the DEP. Also I though he might may missed that fact that I AM a student just not a high school senior and if that mattered or not.

The Master Sergeant was the SNCOIC of my RSS not a MEPS liaison. Just to clear that up.

You can stay in the same amount of days as a high school student. It was 365, now I've heard it's bumped up. So I'm not sure what it is. But it's the same amount whether high school or college

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Just to set the record straight everyone that joins the Marines is in DEP! Contrary to some beliefs, you can't enlist and leave on the same day! I was a recruiter my last two years active duty, but that was 1986 when I got out. Used to be that DEP was for up to 365 days, in my day, however I understand that in some cases you can be in DEP up to (and I could be wrong on this) 450 days (don't hold me to this).

I suggest you talk with your recruiter again, make sure he/she understands your situation. If you are not happy with that response, request to speak with the NCOIC, or Commander, of that RSS.

The Marine Corps is Looking for a FEW Good Men and Women, I think that, if it is possible to work with you, they will! I know I never turned away an enlistment! Not if I could swing it any way at all, legally of course! After all "a bird in hand is better than two in the bush"!

Like I said, I have been out since 1986, and I have no way of keeping up with current regulations. I hope this helps you out. I know this may be contrary to these EXPERTS that have posted thus far, but for what it's worth...........and I want you in my Corps.........you decide!

Good Luck,

Dave

I was in the DEP for 2 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by davblay View Post
    Like I said, I have been out since 1986, and I have no way of keeping up with current regulations. I hope this helps you out. I know this may be contrary to these EXPERTS that have posted thus far, but for what it's worth...........and I want you in my Corps.........you decide!

Good Luck,

Dave
    Sorry Corporal, I didn't mean to sound like I'm talking from experience. I was just relaying what other Marines have said about trusting the recruiters and putting in my two cents on becoming an officer if he so pleases.

As told to me by my area USMC recruiting headquarter Executive Officer, a poolee may stay in the DEP program for 410 days. This was 3 weeks ago.

I'm a believer the only officer's worth a crap were enlisted for their first 4 years though

come on, give a boot a$$ 2nd or 1st Lt to a command, and what he says goes for the section, I'd eat him up, if not me, my SNCOs will,

I have alot more respect for captains, and officers that were once enlisted

That’s why it is my plan to go 0311 with the 2/24 Golf Co for 5 to 6 years before seeking my commissioning.

After SOI I will be volunteering to serve in a tour. Thank you to those of you Marines that are over there and those that have served in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by njchristian View Post
    I'm a believer the only officer's worth a crap were enlisted for their first 4 years though
    I would watch what you say in front of poolees about Officers of Marines. That 2nd Lt worked his ass off to get that commision. Have some respect.

Quote Originally Posted by njchristian View Post
    I was in the DEP for 2 weeks

2 weeks...lol try signing papers on Monday and leaving Tuesday......

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Auwe76 View Post
    As told to me by my area USMC recruiting headquarter Executive Officer, a poolee may stay in the DEP program for 410 days. This was 3 weeks ago.
    Thanks for the update, I called the local RSS and that's what they told me as well! So DEP goes up to 410 Days in some cases.

Dave

Thread Information