Education Requirements
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Education Requirements

Hello, I dont want to take up to much of your time gents but.

I talked to the recruiter the other day and I was told that my diploma was B-S. He said I needed 15 college credits from a class room enviorment.

My question is instead of payin $1000 and goin to my local community college, can I, and will, the Marines accept an adult high school diploma from the commuinty college, which is a classroom enviorment.

I transferred from my traditional high, to a B-S online one when I only needed two more credits to graduate. Stupid I know, I guess I didnt want to stick around for another year when all I needed was 2 credits. I would ask my Recruter but it is a Sunday, and the questions going to bug me all day.

Thanks for reading, Keep your head low.

Well, it's going to bug you all day, because the only person who can really answer is a recruiter. I love how all these poolee's and wannabe's come on here asking all these recruiter questions...

While there are some, most of us are not recruiters, and don't have specific information, especially that's up-to-date.

Now, what I've been hearing is that the quota has been met, and they really aren't taking that many more people, even with traditional HS diplomas. You might be out of luck, but you need to talk to a recruiter.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the response. Yea the recruiter said the next fiscal year starts in October. Most every job will be availble then. 0311 is what I am intereted in so far, he also said thats the most wanted. I just want to get this education stuff delt with asap because he said I can take a pooles place who messes up, (like that guy in another post who got punched in the face). I already went to MEPS 3 months ago and passed and my ASVAB is good. Also MEPS test is only good for 6 months I think. I dont want to go through that mess again. What ever it takes tho.

Thanks again for the response.

My best guess is that you are looking at a year more like two before you can enter the DEP. Go to college and get your points if you really want this. The cold hard fact is that you will most likely not be accepted soon. Do the right things and keep moving forward. How important is this to you?????

Credits
    Savings
    Good point. This is very important to me. 15 college credit hours takes about 4 months. Adult highschool would take me 1 month. Problem is I work split shifts five days a week as a Forklift Operator for Fedex, I average 6 hours asleep a night, school will be tough but do-able. Regarldless I WILL be ready by October. Horrible job is my motivation. Make maters worse my old man was a Colonel and is contracted in Iraq right now. He is tired of me being a civilian. Sooner the better, all I cna do is be prepared.

Also its frickin awesome you guys answer posts regearly on the site, tells me I picked the right branch. Good lookin out guys.

Yes, this does bug the crap out of me......try saying Marines, not you guys.

Education
    For enlistment purposes, the military breaks education into three overall categories: Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3:

Tier 1 - High School Graduate

This means a diploma, not a GED. It also includes those who have completed at least one semester of full-time college (defined as 15 semester credit hours or more). The vast majority of enlistees (well over 90 percent) fall into this category.

• High School Diploma: Based on attendance and completion of a 12 year or grade day program of classroom instruction; issued from the school where the individual completed all the program requirements.

Adult Education Diploma: Secondary school diploma awarded on the basis of attending and completing an adult education or diploma "external" program, regardless of whether the diploma was issued by a state or by a secondary or post-secondary educational institution.

For adult education diploma holders to be categorized Tier I high school graduates, their educational program must include attendance which is comparable to that of traditional high schools. Diploma holders possessing attendance not deemed comparable, and/or have been credited attendance based on some form of test-based credential, are usually classified as Tier II status.

The Army allows applicants who is currently enrolled in an adult education or college program, and who further is expected to graduate or attain the required credits within 365 days may to enlist in the Delayed Enlistment Program (DEP).

Completed One Semester of College: A person who attends a college or university and successfully completes at least 15 semester or 20 quarter hours of college-level credit. "Successfully completed" means that the individual earned college-level credits (level 100 or higher) toward a degree in higher education from an institution listed in the degree granting section of the current version of the Accredited Institutions of Post-secondary Education (AIPE), published by the American Council on Education for the Council of Post Secondary Accreditation. NOT all institutions listed in the current AIPE are considered as offering college-level credits. The credits must have been earned through actual classroom participation at the institution awarding the credits.
      Note: For the Army, completion of college courses below the 100 level will be accepted for enlistment if the course is clearly identified as a college level course and credit will be recognized by the college towards graduation and degree completion requirements. An original letter on the college letterhead stationary is required to verify the status of courses completed.
    Note: Under a special test program, the Army is treating home school graduates as Tier I. See Home School Program article for more details.

Tier 2 - Alternative Credential Holder
    The services limit the number of Tier II candidates it will allow to enlist each year. In the Air Force, the limit is less than one percent each year. In such cases, the applicant must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT to qualify (Note: The "AFQT" is the overall ASVAB score).

The Army will allow up to 10 percent each year to be Tier II candidates, but they must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT.

The Marines will only allow about 5 percent each year to be Tier II, and the Navy about 10 percent. Like the Army and Air Force, Tier II recruits must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT to qualify.
    The Coast Guard only accepts Tier 2 candidates if they have prior military service, and even then requires them to score higher on the AFQT (50 for prior Coast Guard Service, 65 for prior service in other branches).

The following programs are considered to be Tier 2 Education credentials:

• Test-based Equivalency Diploma Graduate: An applicant who possesses a GED or other test-based high school equivalency certificate or diploma. This includes, for example, statewide testing programs such as the California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE), whereby examinees may earn a certificate of competency or proficiency. A person who subsequently obtains a local or state-issued diploma solely on the basis of such equivalency testing is not considered as a Tier I high school graduate for the Marines, Army and Navy, but may (depending upon State laws) be considered as Tier I for the Air Force.

Certificate of Attendance. An applicant who possesses an attendance-based certificate or diploma. These are sometimes called certificates of competency or completion, but they are based on course completion rather than a test such as the GED or CHSPE. A person who subsequently obtains a local or state-issued diploma on the basis of an attendance credential is not to be considered a Tier I high school graduate in the Navy, Army and Marine Corps, but may (depending upon State laws) be considered as Tier I for the Air Force.

Alternative/Continuation High School. Those applicants who do not meet the Tier I criteria as described above.

Home Study. An applicant who earned a high school diploma or certificate awarded by a state, based upon certification by a parent or guardian that the individual completed his/ her secondary education at home. (Note: In the Air Force, many home study programs are considered Tier I graduates, depending on state law).

Under a special test program, the Army is treating home school graduates as Tier I. See Home School Program article for more details.

Correspondence School Diploma. An applicant who earns a diploma or certificate upon completion of correspondence school course work, regardless of whether the diploma was issued by a correspondence school, a state, or a secondary or post-secondary educational institution. (In the Army & Air Force, such diplomas (issued by a State) may be considered Tier I, depending upon the laws of the State.
        Occupational Program Certificate (Vo/Tech). An applicant who has attended a vocational/technical or proprietary school for at least 675 classroom hours and possesses a certificate of attendance or completion indicating such. Correspondence schools offering vocational certificates are not included.
    Tier 3 - Non-High School Graduate.Individuals who are not attending high school and are neither high school graduates nor alternative credential holders. The services almost never accept a Tier 3 candidate for enlistment. (Added Note: March 14, 2005 -- I've been informed that the Navy Reserves is currently accepting Tier III applicants).

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...tandards_4.htm

Look, my man. I wish you the best of luck. You got troubles. Guess what? 90% of the people don't care and the rest are glad you have them. The Marines here told you what they think. Do it or not?

wmarine you are like herpes, the gift that keeps coming back................... embark tape back on..............

Quote Originally Posted by SP00N View Post
    Good point. This is very important to me. 15 college credit hours takes about 4 months. Adult highschool would take me 1 month. Problem is I work split shifts five days a week as a Forklift Operator for Fedex, I average 6 hours asleep a night, school will be tough but do-able. Regarldless I WILL be ready by October. Horrible job is my motivation. Make maters worse my old man was a Colonel and is contracted in Iraq right now. He is tired of me being a civilian. Sooner the better, all I cna do is be prepared.

Also its frickin awesome you guys answer posts regearly on the site, tells me I picked the right branch. Good lookin out guys.

If you really want it keep on pushing!

Credits
    Savings
    I want it. I'll get it. Im like a bullet, nothings goin to stop me except the target. All I can do is take in all of your advice and make the best possible decision. My next step is to check out if my community college qualifys. Then while im there check out the 15 credit program. This is my only issue, I know i can overcome it.

Thanks Marines, good advice I REALLY appreciate you all taking the time to give advice.

That's BETTER!!! Go for an associates degree, not just fifteen credits, make the best of your time.............
    And aces your PFT!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SP00N View Post
    I want it. I'll get it. Im like a bullet, nothings goin to stop me except the target. All I can do is take in all of your advice and make the best possible decision. My next step is to check out if my community college qualifys. Then while im there check out the 15 credit program. This is my only issue, I know i can overcome it.

Thanks Marines, good advice I REALLY appreciate you all taking the time to give advice.

Quote Originally Posted by DADDYMAC34 View Post
    wmarine you are like herpes, the gift that keeps coming back................... embark tape back on..............
    Enough already, OK! You don't like what I post, then don't read and don't reply to it.

Look. you WERE a PVT with 1 yr in before you got out. YOU READ LIKE A WET MOP OUT OFF THE CRAP HOUSE! There are WM's on this site with more salt and integrity then you! And you demand respect! You are an embarrassment to the Corps!!!!!! I have sat back and watch a supply pvt beat up kids long enough. You do not know jack ****!!!! Zip IT!!!!! You washed out!!!!!! Your time is gone. Don't go away mad, just go away.........
    Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    Enough already, OK! You don't like what I post, then don't read and don't reply to it.

Why I got out of the Marine Corps as a PFC is none of your business.
    I never said I knew everything, so I don't know where you got that from.
    Every once in a while, you follow me around the boards and post uncalled comments towards me. Does it make you feel like a big macho man for you to say the things you do towards me?
    Look.....I'm not bothering you, so don't bother me. You have anything else to say to me, say it in a PM, not on the boards.
    And I DO NOT plan on going anywhere. I'm here to stay, so get used to it!

Credits
    Savings
    WOW. lol, Yea I just got word that when I enroll for the 15 credits, (or more(daddymac) ; )

I can go back to meps swear in and go on delayed entry and get a ship date in October. So as soon as I enroll I can swear in. That gives me plenty of time to get in perfect shape, maybe get that p90x.
    O yea I go in as a PFC, 6 classes of JROTC. Thanks again, keep your heads low.

You bother me - because you bother KIDS that are looking for advise!!! You have nothing to offer to (my option) 99% of these kids. As far as why you were sent packing from the USMC, may be we can end some speculation. For better or worse, yes or no. In the words of Seinfeld episode,"not that it matters to me" was it the homosexual policy? I have nothing against it, but put your cards on the table. I'll do it first. I am not a homo sexual. I have nothing against homosexuals. We post rank, we post almost everything. I mean no disrespect and will think no less of you. But, if you are going to run your mouth, these kids need to know what kind of Marine they are getting it from....................... And I am not going away either..... Marines love a fight....................

Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    Why I got out of the Marine Corps as a PFC is none of your business.
    I never said I knew everything, so I don't know where you got that from.
    Every once in a while, you follow me around the boards and post uncalled comments towards me. Does it make you feel like a big macho man for you to say the things you do towards me?
    Look.....I'm not bothering you, so don't bother me. You have anything else to say to me, say it in a PM, not on the boards.
    And I DO NOT plan on going anywhere. I'm here to stay, so get used to it!

Thread Information