question regarding MOS school and leave
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

question regarding MOS school and leave

Hi Marines,

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

My mom and I have been attempting to plan out (as much as possible since things change) how exactly to get ready for MOS school and things I need to take with me.

I haven't gone to bootcamp yet, I leave next month on the 22nd and graduate in June if all goes to plan. From what I've been reading I take my 10 days of leave, go to MCT and directly to MOS school without any more leave from that point.

Her question that I wanted to ask in her behalf and mine is during MOS school will I be allowed leave or is it only for special holidays like Christmas? I know we will have some liberty, but since I'm in California and her in Florida that might obviously be some what tricky for visits. I couldn't answer because I have no idea if it is different based on the school itself and the MOS you're in. I'm contracted as a 267X for Cryptologic linguist and wasn't sure if they were allowed different priviledges? Not sure if priviledge is the best word for that.

I know they will inform us of these things closer to time for departure, but she needed a heads up mainly because her and my step-dad spend their summer in NY and she wanted to be home for when I'm home and help me out with getting everything ready. They've put their lives on hold so much for me and I guess it's the least I can do to try to coordinate with them as much as possible haha.

Also, as for the 10 days of leave after bootcamp, I'm guessing obviously that is when you get everything you need and take it to MCT, then MOS school. Are there things we should/shouldn't take, or things that you wished you would have taken that you forgot? Lastly, if we need to ship anything are we allowed to ship things to our barracks or does that work differently?

I hope none of this is redundant and been asked before.
    Thanks again for any advice I'm extremely grateful for your time!!

Credits
    Savings
    Ok, so basically, the way it usually goes is you get your boot leave, then go through both schools, then at that point once you get to the fleet, you will take normal block leave with the rest of your unit until you deploy. Also, ONLY take the items issued to you in boot camp to MOS and MCT schools. obviously you can bring stuff like Ipods and phones...but computers always get broken or stolen...and dont bring TOO MANY personal things...they could get lost or stolen in these mass schools. Usually, you can buy whatever you need at these schools, electronics or personal wise, because you wont be spending that much money anyways.

Each MOS school has their own set of rules, you can't just up and go. If you're still at your MOS school around the holidays, they'll let you know if you'll be able to go home or not. Some MOS schools will allow weekend liberty that you can leave base within a certain mile(s) radius, and some will have you confined to base most of the time.
    As for what gear to take to MCT and your MOS school, everything that gets issued to you in boot camp, you take with you. Take some of your own clothing, not much. Remember, you have to carry all of this stuff with you. You can have some personal things sent to you when you get to your MOS school. If you're wanting to take your computer (laptop or desktop) to MCT, don't. There's no need for it there. I think you can take your phone, but it will have to be turned off and locked up until you get a chance to use it.
    My nephew just got done with his MOS school at 29 Palms a week ago. He took some of his own clothes with him to MCT and when he got to his MOS school, he had some other things sent to him, or he bought whatever else he needed at the PX.....like a laptop and a camera!

I hope this all helps you out some!

Sorry, but I have to disagree with boyletp. Take what you'll need at MOS school (at least somewhat important things that you can't get sent or buy there) with you to MCT. You'll be able to store them, and then you'll take all that stuff with you to MOS school. Your school is hella long, so you'd need to bring more to your school than say, someone whose school is only a couple weeks long.

Obviously of course, don't bring everything. If you can do without it for a little while, just buy it in MOS school or have it mailed from your home.

As far as leaving... you might be able to before you class up, depending on how busy your school is. If it's pretty full, you might be in for a good wait beforehand. After you class up though, probably only for holidays.

The one thing I would have personally brought myself would be a laptop. Both fortunately and unfortunately for me, I didn't own one before the MC, so when I got to my MOS school I bought one. Down side for that was that I had to borrow computers for like three weeks, plus side was there was no risk of it being broken in MCT and I got to buy a really shiny one with all that money I made from boot camp, haha. If you do own a laptop, there is a good chance it might be broken. Not a great one, but the chance is there.

Depending on how your school handles mail... you might be able to get stuff "sent to you" before you're even there. I know my MOS school had specific mailboxes for each person, but here at my unit it's only addressed to the division/section.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    Sorry, but I have to disagree with the above poster. Take what you'll need at MOS school (at least somewhat important things that you can't get sent or buy there) with you to MCT. You'll be able to store them, and then you'll take all that stuff with you to MOS school. Your school is hella long, so you'd need to bring more to your school than say, someone whose school is only a couple weeks long.
    True and true...however, i am only quoting my experience from ITB. never got the chance to experience MCT

Quote Originally Posted by boyletp View Post
    True and true...however, i am only quoting my experience from ITB. never got the chance to experience MCT
    Ah yes, that would explain it! You folks get the convenience of having your combat training and your school in the same place at the same time. Lucky you.

In case you Marines haven't checked the OP profile out, she's a female and doesn't have to go to ITB, MCT yes, but not ITB.

Credits
    Savings
    definately too much work for me.....

Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    In case you Marines haven't checked the OP profile out, she's a female and doesn't have to go to ITB, MCT yes, but not ITB.
    I knew that based on the fact that the OP is a contract 267x, which is definitely not infantry.

When you get out of boot camp, your 10 days of leave will actually put you in the hole as far as leave days earned. By the time you get to MOS school, your leave balance should be back to zero. Your school might allow you recruiter's assistance if you will be there for more than 30 days before your class picks up. Once you do pick up though, there will not be an opportuinity to go on leave. If you are there over a long holiday period, they may authorize you to go out of bounds, provided you are flying, however, that is up to the CO. Some schoolhouses have a liberty phase program, where depending on which phase you are in determines any liberty restrictions you may have. I would'nt count on going to FL or NY.

You may or may not get recruiter's assistance right out of boot camp. As for MCT, like everyone else said take everything you got in boot camp (though if you can condense things and avoid redundancy to shave weight, it would be good), a couple sets of civvies for liberty (if you get any) and if possible take with you a few things you'll need at MOS school.

Each school does have different rules but I imagine once you get to Monterey your parents will have no problem shipping you additional items.

As for a laptop; I took mine to MCT because I knew I would be waiting a number of weeks before I picked up into a class. I was there during the holiday season and there was pretty much nothing to do during the days but crack open the laptop or read a book. I kept it locked in my wall locker during training until we were allowed to use them on weekends but I made sure to mitigate any potential loss (ie, backed up data offsite and brought the cheap laptop, not an expensive gaming system). If someone had broken into my locker I would have lost a lot more in hving my deuce gear stolen than the machine itself.

The one thing I wish I'd had at MOS school was a better cell phone plan. T-Mobile is pretty much useless in Meridian, MS.

Do not count on getting leave while you're in school. Yes, it's a long school and chances are you'll have some time but it's no guarantee. Even if you do get it there's no guarantee that you'll be able to use it when you want. Or that you or someone else won't get in trouble and have your entire class restricted to barracks. You're far more likely to visit with your mom if she comes to see you for a weekend but plans for going home on leave are in the air until you're actually on a plane.

edit: last but not least, don't buy a laptop from MOS school or MCT. AAFES/NEX/MCXs are a complete ripoff on computers; a little research online will get you a much better system for less than anything they have on display. same goes for any computer store out in town near a military installation. they know you have money to blow so they will find a way to rip you off. always always always buy your electronics after researching online retailers

last but not least, don't buy a laptop from MOS school or MCT. AAFES/NEX/MCXs are a complete ripoff on computers; a little research online will get you a much better system for less than anything they have on display. same goes for any computer store out in town near a military installation. they know you have money to blow so they will find a way to rip you off. always always always buy your electronics after researching online retailers
    Pretty much true for anything expensive. Cars for example too. Video games/consoles are usually a safe bet though.

Administrator Platinum Member Rocky C's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Michelle, Hear is a good Heads up for you!!!

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/educa...dliarticle.htm

- .... . / ..-. . .-- --..-- / - .... . / .--. .-. --- ..- -.. --..-- / - .... . / -- .- .-. .. -. . ... .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.-

All Marine, All The Time...

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    Pretty much true for anything expensive. Cars for example too. Video games/consoles are usually a safe bet though.
    I've seen some decent deals on TVs and such but they count on the average Marine knowing jack squat about computers to sell them something so overpriced and underpowered it would make Gateway blush.

To answer your questions with a recent stand point on the issue...
    You will have time to take leave or recruiters assistance before you start your class. Your first 21 days you will be restricted on base during weekdays until Friday, then you must be back on base by Sunday. After that you are on full liberty whenever you please as long as you are not supposed to be somewhere else. At DLI you will have plenty of time to do lot's of things, but I wouldn't suggest getting computers and etc. while at MCT. Wait until you get to DLI and buy things or have them sent. You will have a mailbox and mail room that will accept packages for you. If you have any more questions about MOS school you can PM me.

Thread Information