Why did you join the Corps? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I live in NYC, remember leaving school and seeing two stacks of smoke instead of the towers that belonged there. Also I know I'm good at stuff when i apply myself, but i mostly don't. I also love challenges, never had anything come easy in my life it keeps me interested i guess. My parents also come to America from Bangladesh, I became a citizen 2004, and i don't think i have seen a Bengali Marine yet so when i become a Marine Ill be extra proud. Those are my main reasons.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Honestly, I'm out there because the type of warfare that's being waged on us today scares the **** out of me. Let's be honest. We're not joining the Corps to travel around the world and meet interesting people. We're joining to travel around the world, meet people, interesting or not, and kill them. POG or not, you're there to kill. All your training is to desensitize you to killing. It's funny, because most people who know me know that I'm fairly liberal, and associate that label with anti-war groups like Code Pink and other people. It's whatever. I wasn't down with Iraq or what was going on there from the very beginning (no, i didn't hop on the bandwagon halfway through the war), but i ALWAYS thought Afghanistan was where we should have been. So as soon as we started escalating our troops and talking about pumping Marines into Afghanistan, I was there in a second because if I'm gonna be out there in the ****, I'm damn well gonna have the best training there is. The challenge, the comraderie, all the traditional stuff that goes along with the Corps - I really didn't join with those at the front of my mind. The way I thought about it was, only Marines know ANYTHING about that feeling of brotherhood, and everyone else is just talking about their ass about it - you'll know what it's like once you're in. I joined because I think the job I'll be doing is going to better the world. Killing can be used for good. And it can be used for peace too, believe it or not. Not everyone willing to kill prays that we'll always be in a war.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulls View Post
    Honestly, I'm out there because the type of warfare that's being waged on us today scares the **** out of me. Let's be honest. We're not joining the Corps to travel around the world and meet interesting people. We're joining to travel around the world, meet people, interesting or not, and kill them. POG or not, you're there to kill. All your training is to desensitize you to killing. It's funny, because most people who know me know that I'm fairly liberal, and associate that label with anti-war groups like Code Pink and other people. It's whatever. I wasn't down with Iraq or what was going on there from the very beginning (no, i didn't hop on the bandwagon halfway through the war), but i ALWAYS thought Afghanistan was where we should have been. So as soon as we started escalating our troops and talking about pumping Marines into Afghanistan, I was there in a second because if I'm gonna be out there in the ****, I'm damn well gonna have the best training there is. The challenge, the comraderie, all the traditional stuff that goes along with the Corps - I really didn't join with those at the front of my mind. The way I thought about it was, only Marines know ANYTHING about that feeling of brotherhood, and everyone else is just talking about their ass about it - you'll know what it's like once you're in. I joined because I think the job I'll be doing is going to better the world. Killing can be used for good. And it can be used for peace too, believe it or not. Not everyone willing to kill prays that we'll always be in a war.
    Same.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Because the USMC is one of the last bastions in American culture where a person can go and prove to himself, his family, his country, and his world that he or she is ready to stand up and state that they believe. The USMC is a place where you stand up and state that you believe in your country and what it stands for, its leaders (regardless of petty partisan differences), and the common things that make us all Americans.

I've wanted to join the military ever since 9/11. I was in 4th grade when that happened, and once I got older, I realized the Marines were the best branch.

Quote Originally Posted by zak1716 View Post
    Because the USMC is one of the last bastions in American culture where a person can go and prove to himself, his family, his country, and his world that he or she is ready to stand up and state that they believe. The USMC is a place where you stand up and state that you believe in your country and what it stands for, its leaders (regardless of petty partisan differences), and the common things that make us all Americans.
    Great post!

It cant always be someone elses' child.

I had been talking to an AF recruiter for 2 months, looking at their pararescue and combat controller jobs but it wasn't going anywhere. I was starting to get disinterested.
    My buddy was leaving soon for USMC boot camp and I got to thinking I might be interested in something in this branch. Maybe even the recruiters will show a bit of interest in getting me to go where I need to go.

I'm where I'm at now because I want the biggest challenge I can possibly get. I want something life changing that makes me the best person I can possibly be in the end and that makes me not take so many things for granted. I want something that makes me feel respected and allows me to respect myself. I want to know what I do can make a difference on any single day.

I stepped into the recruiters office on Wednesday, November 4th; turned in my paperwork the following day; was on a shuttle to MEPS on the following Monday.
    At that time I wasn't 100% sure that I wanted to be a Marine, but I did know I wanted everything that the Marines had to offer. Now, I couldn't be more excited to be one of the best and to be surrounded by the best. I know I want to be a Marine and that nothing will stop me from claiming that title.

For family, for friends, for country, for challenge, and because I don't know how not to do the right thing.

Ill be the first in my Family to join the Military. I want to start a tradition in my Family and why not start it with the best branch, The Marines. I want to be one more Marine fighting in the war and help relieve those that been there for months/years. Even though people don't understand why i choose to become a Marine, there is never a reasonable answer for them because the only people that understand what it is to be a Marine is Marines themselves and the enemy.
    My Bachelors Degree might as well be nothing to me if i don't earn that title. Nothing will get in my way to earn it!
    and lets face it the uniforms are awesome

I joined because there's Marines and Soldiers putting their lives on the line each and every day while I sit here safe at home, and that's unacceptable. I want to be out there doing my part.

I joined because I f***** in school.
    Always admired the marines, since 9'th grade.
    I'd like to attend college on my off duty.
    Would be proud of wearing the uniform
    and the uniform's are awesome.
    experince in the military would help me get the job I want in the real world.
    This is why I joined.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Poolee Lekas
    Ship Date 20100419
    MOS- Mechanic 3426
    IST
    Pull Ups- 5
    Sit Ups- 74
    1.5 Mile Run- 11:00

I joined the United States Marine Corps, to help establish myself in the world as one of the best. All my life I've wanted to be better then the person standing next to me. I know I will never ever have this problem now. I alos joined the Marines to help me build a stable career and support my future family.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I grew up without a real family feeling so I enlisted for the brotherhood also because i wanted to push my self and i wanted to become one of the best (A.K.A. The Marine Corps)

I joined for the respect and honor that a Marine earns. I would give anything to be apart of the Marine brotherhood. Marines are like knights in modern armor, the other branches are just regular soldiers. Counting down to my ship date is like counting down the days till Christmas as a child. Cant wait for the chance to earn the title.

Thread Information