How to become Honor Grad?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

How to become Honor Grad?

What do you need to do to be selected as the Honor Grad/Guide from boot camp? I'm most-likely going to enlist in October this year, even though I really want to be an officer.

How about filling out all of your profile so the Marines who are going to answer your questions, know who they are talking to. And read the site rules in the poolee and the Ask A Marine forums.

OK, I'm curious, your occupation is a Battalion Commander? And I take it, you were born at MCRDPI being that your hometown is Parris Island?

And I wouldn't worry about how to become and Honor Grad/Guide from boot camp right now. See a recruiter first and take the neccessary steps on getting into the DEP.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I've already talked to a recruiter, and I'm a Cadet Major in my high school's Army Junior ROTC battalion. My parents won't sign for parental consent which is why I have to wait til October when I turn eighteen and why I'm not a poolie. So I still need to know how do I become honor grad?

The fact that your ROTC will give you a leg up in boot camp, train yourself to run a 300 PFT, Be a leader,team player,be motivated and always have a great attitude. If you can take on the responsibilities of being a squad leader and showing integrity, these are the types of things that will graduate you Honor Grad. Good Luck!!

But try not to be a dick who thinks he knows everything. Drill Instructors can identify those who are true leaders and those who are suck ups looking for attention. MAX PFT, Expert Rifle Range, Good Academic scores all count.

Quote Originally Posted by brian0351 View Post
    But try not to be a dick who thinks he knows everything. Drill Instructors can identify those who are true leaders and those who are suck ups looking for attention. MAX PFT, Expert Rifle Range, Good Academic scores all count.
    Semper Fidelis.

Quote Originally Posted by CMjrJBII View Post
    What do you need to do to be selected as the Honor Grad/Guide from boot camp? I'm most-likely going to enlist in October this year, even though I really want to be an officer.
    It really depends on your DI's, I have seen a guide last for 5 minutes.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Honor Graduate!!!

In Marine recruit training, there is hardly any time to prepare for what is being experienced, unless preparation begins before recruit training.

Lance Cpl. Dane E. Childs, Platoon 2078, Company E, a 19 year-old native of Springdale, Ark., attributes his success in recruit training to preparing for it an entire year before shipping to Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego.

"He was prepared to go into recruit training," said Denton Childs, his father. "He worked out everyday, read books, and knew what to expect."
    In addition to knowing what he was getting into, Childs knew why he was getting into it. He always wanted to be the best of the best and that is why he chose the Marine Corps over the other services, according to Denton.

"In everything I do, I want to do my best," said Childs. "That is why I didn't join the Navy or the Army."
    "He wanted as much of a challenge as he could get," said Denton.

With the challenge of recruit training in his sights, Childs knew the Marine Corps wouldn't be easy, according to Nereida Childs, his mother. He worked out, building himself physically and made a healthy diet high on his list of priorities.

His recruiters and fellow poolees in the Delayed Entry Program gave him the name "Turbo" for the amount of crunches he could pump out at the initial strength tests. According to Childs, he could do about 110-120 crunches in two minutes compared to his 167 crunches now.

The positive physical payoff of Childs' hard work prior to and during recruit training can be seen in his increase from 23 pull-ups to 29 pull-ups and the decrease in his three-mile run time from 22 minutes to 20 minutes.

Childs felt he was a weak swimmer, but applied his "be the best" attitude and ended up becoming a first class swimmer, one of only three out of his 54-man platoon. Childs excelled on the rifle range as well, scoring 237 out of 250 qualifying as an expert rifleman, even though he had never shot a rifle before.

"He always worked harder than everyone in sports," said his father. "He did it harder and got better than everyone."

On top of always striving to be the best, Childs has always helped others who were falling behind and stuck up for the underdog, according to his mother.
    This was displayed in recruit training by his ability to make his platoon work together to get the missions accomplished.

"I was put as guide for my pull-ups, and then I grew from there," he said. "I learned things and made the recruits work as a team."

Childs said he displays his leadership through his bearing and the example he sets.
    "I believe in giving 100 percent at all times," he said. "Even though it is not always easy."

It is a continuous cycle for this new Marine to look for tough challenges and complete them before moving on to the next.
    "I give until I know I can't get any better or give more," said Childs.
    Childs said he dreams of living in San Diego on the beach with financial stability and a beautiful wife.

His family and girlfriend visit him at graduation today as he crosses the parade deck one last time, ending his recruit training and earning the title, Marine.

Thread Information