Help Marines..
Create Post

Thread: Help Marines..

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Help Marines..

I cant decide what MOS I want!!! There are so many choices. I wanna do aviation, or intell, or a scout sniper, but you have to go infantry for that, and I just dont know. Since I want to go through NROTC, does your MOS carry over? or will it change when I become an officer? (Also do you have to have a bachelors degree for an officer? ) I'm just really dissapointed I didnt realize there was this many jobs! I'm starting to think I should of scored lower on the asvab, I wouldn't have as many choices..

Can I go dual, or tri, or even quad on it? it would make everything alot easier. lol

You want to enlist and then try to go NROTC? Yes, you do need a 4 year degree to become an officer.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    no your MOS will not carry over, and yes you will get a new one when and/if you get a commission

yes you have to have a 4yr bachelors degree in order to earn your commission as an officer

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by rufio14 View Post
    You want to enlist and then try to go NROTC? Yes, you do need a 4 year degree to become an officer.
    rufio, I am planning on going into reserve and then using the GI Bill to help pay for college, do most people not do this?

Also, my recruiter said to go on the 92 day program. But here is what concerns me, If I am in college, after the first full year, because I think I will be going to MOS school next summer, then if my unit gets deployed, I have to jump ship and leave school, and my GPA will go straight down the crapper. Thats gonna be real fun coming back from a nine month deployment or something and having that mess to clean up.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bquick13 View Post
    rufio, I am planning on going into reserve and then using the GI Bill to help pay for college, do most people not do this?

Also, my recruiter said to go on the 92 day program. But here is what concerns me, If I am in college, after the first full year, because I think I will be going to MOS school next summer, then if my unit gets deployed, I have to jump ship and leave school, and my GPA will go straight down the crapper. Thats gonna be real fun coming back from a nine month deployment or something and having that mess to clean up.

Most colleges are very up-to-date on handling military reservists who get called up and have to leave school in the middle of a semester. After all, it has happened at least a few times in the past nine-years. Most will give you an Incomplete (instead of a Withdraw or a failing grade) and allow you to retake the course later with no penalty to your GPA.

Some colleges may even give you a refund on at least part of your tuition, although that is entirely up to them.

Check the policies of the colleges your are interested in attending and see how they handle these matters.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bquick13 View Post

you would not be going on deployment at that point, as far as I am aware you are not deployable until you go to SOI/MCT and MOS school

Also check to be sure you are eligible for the GI and/or tuition assistance under the 92 day reservist program. I know there are a few reserivist contracts that aren't eligible.

If you are interested in the NROTC, then you can apply for the 4,3 or 2 year scholarships depending what point in school you are. If you are determined to be a Marine first before working towards your commission then enlist in the reserves and apply for it when you return home. Most likely you will be discharged from your reserve unit and sworn in as a Midshipman in the NROTC.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks Marines, I am also kinda starting to get nervous about 'signing the line'.. I'm excited, but I'm nervous.. Is this normal?

Thread Information