Open Contract as Condition of Enlistment?
Create Post

Open Contract as Condition of Enlistment?

Good afternoon, Marines. I brought quite the baggage with me when I finally was able to enlist back in November. When my recruiter and I sent in for a waiver, the application said that I would accept an open contract if the waiver was approved. Now, this isn't a big deal either way, since I don't have a preference as to what I do in the Corps. I will say that if there was one I could pick not to do, it would be 03XX (I know, contrary to basically 90% of the other wannabes on the forum), although I would accept it for the challenge that it is if it were assigned to me at the end of boot camp. My question is, if someone was to drop out right before shipping and I were to take his spot, would I be able to pick up his mos if it were available and I qualified, or am I still in fate's hand no matter what?

The reason I am asking the forum is because I don't want to appear ungrateful to the NCO's that have worked just as hard as I have to get me to the brink of walking those yellow footsteps. This is more a matter of curiosity and I am 100% committed to shipping out May 17 open contract or not. Thank you ahead of time for the always timely responses.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanS View Post
    Good afternoon, Marines. I brought quite the baggage with me when I finally was able to enlist back in November. When my recruiter and I sent in for a waiver, the application said that I would accept an open contract if the waiver was approved. Now, this isn't a big deal either way, since I don't have a preference as to what I do in the Corps. I will say that if there was one I could pick not to do, it would be 03XX (I know, contrary to basically 90% of the other wannabes on the forum), although I would accept it for the challenge that it is if it were assigned to me at the end of boot camp. My question is, if someone was to drop out right before shipping and I were to take his spot, would I be able to pick up his mos if it were available and I qualified, or am I still in fate's hand no matter what?

The reason I am asking the forum is because I don't want to appear ungrateful to the NCO's that have worked just as hard as I have to get me to the brink of walking those yellow footsteps. This is more a matter of curiosity and I am 100% committed to shipping out May 17 open contract or not. Thank you ahead of time for the always timely responses.

Have you asked your recruiter this question? If not, he's the person to ask.

Talk to your recruiter.

Like they said, talk to your recruiter... but you should be able to sign a new contract with no problems, long as the MOS is open.

Thread Information