Regarding College Credit
Create Post

Regarding College Credit

I'd like to start out by thanking everyone in the military for their continued service to our great country. I have a few questions that I'd like to ask and hopefully someone would be nice enough to answer them.

I dropped out of highschool when I was 16 because I was stupid. I'm 22 now. I made a mistake and now I have to deal with it. Now, for the past year I've been working with 2 different recruiters. I started with a Marine recruiter that told me that I would need 15 college credits. We went to my local community college and I enrolled. I didnt have a GED, but that didnt seem like a problem. The only problem that did come up was that I needed $1500 to pay for these classes and I wasnt employed.

Around this same time I started talking with an Army recruiter that told me I didnt need the college credits or the GED because the Army was starting a new program. This program would send me to get my GED and then to bootcamp. I told the Marines recruiter about this and we parted ways.

I took my ASVAB and I scored a 61 I believe. Now, I know thats not the greatest score, but 50 is the lowest I can get with a GED. So I was good. I went down to MEPS and passed through everything until they weighed me. I was 2lbs overweight I believe and they sent me back to my recruiter. So we waited a week and went back and that program that would accept me without a GED was closed.

The Army recruiter told me to just wait it out because the program would open up again in a few weeks. 2 months passed and when it opened back up again I was 15lbs over my weight limit. So yeah I screwed myself there.

After that I kinda lost hope I guess and lost contact with my Army recruiter. I'm really not doing anything here and I want to serve, but I have no idea where to start now. I really dont want to play this game anymore with this program that likes to open and close at random. I've also had time to do alot of research and I think I'd rather be a Marine.

So I took the first step and looked for some GED preperation classes to make sure I was ready to take the test. Now theres only 2 programs that I could find in my area and I cant reach the one and the other is booked until Summer.

My question is now do I need the GED or would the 15 college credits be enough? I was able to enroll last time in the community college without the GED and I probably could do so again. Of course, I would need to come up with $1500 which may still be an issue.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just kind of hitting a brick wall here. Like I said I'm already 22 and I'm not getting any younger. Not that I'm that old, it's just I know I'm going to be in bootcamp with a bunch of 18 year olds lol. Thanks in advance, I felt like I just needed to tell somebody my situation.

You took the time to make the post, now take the time to fill out all of your profile so the Marines who are going to answer your questions know who they are talking to.
    Also, read the rules in the poolee and the Ask A Marine fourms.......and try using the search bar. You'll find that this topic has been covered and that there are plenty topics on GED's and college credits for getting into the Marine Corps here on Leatherneck.

Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    You took the time to make the post, now take the time to fill out all of your profile so the Marines who are going to answer your questions know who they are talking to.
    Also, read the rules in the poolee and the Ask A Marine fourms.......and try using the search bar. You'll find that this topic has been covered and that there are plenty topics on GED's and college credits for getting into the Marine Corps here on Leatherneck.
    Ok I will thanks for the response.

You will need the credits plus GED.

As far as cost, the college you enroll in will have a financial aid department that helps out with class payment. Unless you make a good bit of money you should be eligible for a grant through FAFSA. Check out their website (google FAFSA) and see if you meet the requirements. They will pay for your tuition and give you a little bit of extra money each semester for "expenses".

If for some reason you can't get financial aid look into enrolling in an online college that will be cheaper than 1500 per class and get a loan to pay for it. You can pay the loan back over time.

You need to get yourself physically conditioned. Gaining 15 pounds in 2 months while you were waiting to enlist? That's unacceptable. Go running, swimming, play basketball...something to stay active.

Lastly, you're 22 years old. Get a job.

Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    Lastly, you're 22 years old. Get a job.
    You're hillarious BR, straight to the point.

No I have a job now I just cant afford to shell out $1500 for classes.. I was in between jobs at the time though.

Is it 1500 per class, or 100 per credit hour?

Fill out your profile.

Thread Information