Advantages of Marines over other services. - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ask someone from the Army to tell you the history of the Army and see what you get most do not know it then ask a Marine for the history of the Marine Corps and prepare for a history lesson also ther are alot of former Soldiers and Sailors and Airman but no former Marines. When you join the Army your first day you are Soldier you are not a Marine till you finsh Boot Camp 3 months later and are one till you die

"I like Marines, because being a Marine is serious business. We're not a social club or a fraternal organization and we don't pretend to be one. We're a Brotherhood of "Warriors" -- Nothing more, nothing less, pure and simple. We are in the a$s-kicking business, and unfortunately, these days business is good."

Colonel James M. Lowe, Commander, Marine Corps Base Quantico, 2004

"I come in peace...I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuvck with me, I'll kill you all." General James Mattis, Commanding General, 1st MarDiv, Fall 2003, to Iraqi military leaders in his area of operations.

The man who will go where his colors go, without asking who will fight a phantom foe in the jungle and mountain range, without counting, and who will suffer and die in the midst of incredible hardship, without complaint, is still what he has always been, from Imperial Rome to sceptered Britain to democratic America. He is the stuff of which legions are made. ...His pride is in his colors and his regiment, his training hard and thorough and coldly realistic, to fit him for what he must face...and his obedience is to his orders. He has been called United States Marine.
    T.R. Fehrenbach, This Kind of War

Here’s to the drunken Marine
    With beer in his canteen!
    You’ve heard of the Unknown Soldier
    But, never an unknown Marine!
    —An old toast oft repeated by Col John Ripley, Navy Cross, RVN.

I joined for the great chow

The best answer I can give you is, As far as myself I never quit anything and neither have any Marines. You also join the most tight knit group of people on the face of the Earth. Here it is 30 years later and still whenever I meet a current or past Marine even if we've never met before we become friends. Bottom line it's not a job for 4 yrs or however long you stay in, It's a lifetime experience.

We do have the best uniforms.

Credits
    Savings
    i agree with WMarine's first post, if you really have to post about WHY you should choose the Corps over another branch, then you should probally look into another service. Do reseach and find out what will best suit you and you life. GOOD LUCK!

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post

The man who will go where his colors go, without asking who will fight a phantom foe in the jungle and mountain range, without counting, and who will suffer and die in the midst of incredible hardship, without complaint, is still what he has always been, from Imperial Rome to sceptered Britain to democratic America. He is the stuff of which legions are made. ...His pride is in his colors and his regiment, his training hard and thorough and coldly realistic, to fit him for what he must face...and his obedience is to his orders. He has been called United States Marine.
    T.R. Fehrenbach, This Kind of War
    Nice

Thanks for all the replies guys! From what you all have said about your expierences in the Corps I'm really liking the idea of being a Marine and joining you. The Espirit-de-corps you gave have is amazing. Plus you do have the best dress uniforms and your camo works.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray94
    Thanks for all the replies guys!
    How about saying....thanks for all the replies Marines, not guys.

Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    How about saying....thanks for all the replies Marines, not guys.
    Sorry, thanks for all the replies Marines! I really appreciate them.

I joined because I heard I get free meals, and a friendly camp counselor to tuck me in at night and tell me bedtime stories. They told me that the camp counselor loves to be called Drill Sergeant and if you are on his good side, you can call him Sarge, or "hey you". Also, on the back of all mail, make sure your family writes "Bends and Thrusts", "Mountain Climbers", and "Foot Locker Rifle Drill".

All kidding aside, you will be joining a brotherhood of Men and Women who you will have an instant kinship. You will do things that most kids your age will not experience in a lifetime. You will remember the day you earn the title like you will remember the birth of your kid and getting married. It is not as glamourous as you think, but you will be a part of the most prestigous outfit in America. Honor, Courage, Commitment, Loyalty, and Integrity will be forged in you like a Damascus Steel Sword is as it is created. Go for it kid.

Hmmmm...good question. Well do the Marines have the best barracks? Nope. Do they have the best chow halls? Nope. Do they have the best and newest equipment? Nope. Do they let you pick your exact job out when you sign up? Nope.
    What they do is give you muscles so sore you want to puke...and you will love it. They make you push yourself beyond anything you have ever experienced...and you become proud of yourself. They give you and teach you more intangible traits than any other branch. Traits like "work ethics," "pride," "leadership,""esprit de corps," and "Honor." These things stay with you until the day you die. They also offer a chance to be a part of the most esteemed brotherhood in the world....he brotherhood of United States Marines. Something NO ONE else can ever give you. There are two types of people in the world: Marines...and those who WISH they were Marines...
    General Lejune said it best: "Of all the honors, postings, promotions, and medals I have received, the one I take most pride in is to be able to say "I am A United States Marine!"

Quote Originally Posted by firedog974 View Post
    Hmmmm...good question. Well do the Marines have the best barracks? Nope. Do they have the best chow halls? Nope. Do they have the best and newest equipment? Nope. Do they let you pick your exact job out when you sign up? Nope.
    What they do is give you muscles so sore you want to puke...and you will love it. They make you push yourself beyond anything you have ever experienced...and you become proud of yourself. They give you and teach you more intangible traits than any other branch. Traits like "work ethics," "pride," "leadership,""esprit de corps," and "Honor." These things stay with you until the day you die. They also offer a chance to be a part of the most esteemed brotherhood in the world....he brotherhood of United States Marines. Something NO ONE else can ever give you. There are two types of people in the world: Marines...and those who WISH they were Marines...
    General Lejune said it best: "Of all the honors, postings, promotions, and medals I have received, the one I take most pride in is to be able to say "I am A United States Marine!"
    I'm going to have to disagree with you on that lol. I've seen the new barracks they are building on Pendleton and they are by far better than what I or anyone before me had! The Equipment is getting better and better. you should see the new M-ATV, believe its to replace the Hummer in the field. And i can agree about the chow halls the Private contractors need to go and they need to bring the Marines back into the Kitchen!

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    just reading the responses in this thread brings a tear to my eye and makes me proud to a Unites States Marine....:bawlingeyesout:

Quote Originally Posted by Komenko View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree with you on that lol. I've seen the new barracks they are building on Pendleton and they are by far better than what I or anyone before me had! The Equipment is getting better and better. you should see the new M-ATV, believe its to replace the Hummer in the field. And i can agree about the chow halls the Private contractors need to go and they need to bring the Marines back into the Kitchen!
    I am glad to hear the barracks living is improving. It is well deserved. When I lived in the barracks at K-Bay, it was in a building that probably should have been condemned. No A/C...just jalousie windows that let in the cool night air. It was great. The hot water only worked half the time, and my room-mate and I had bunk beds and linens that were probably older than us. And ironically, some of my best times in the Corps were when I lived in the barracks and was a lance..... You can't tell recruits why this stuff is great, they have to live it! We do more with less, and it breeds more pride and camaraderie than any other service will ever know.

Thread Information