Question for Infantry Marines
Create Post

Question for Infantry Marines

Good afternoon Marines.

I am soon to be leaving for recruit training, and then I have a Infantry MOS. I know that recruit training is 3 months and SOI is 3 months, but I am curious to how long after I receive my assignment location I can expect to have before I am deployed. Also, what has been the average time you were gone while on deployment. My wife is curious to know.

Anyone with recent experience with this, please feel free to post. Thank you.

There's a lot of info here on Leatherneck about infantry and deployments. Try using the search bar, as this topic has been covered before.

In short, units rotate, so you'll probably have a little notice before you go. And typical deployments are 6-7 months.

Thank you polizei.

The rotation "usually" is 6 months float prep (In the field most weeks), 6 months deployed and 6 months down time. Rinse, Repeat. Not counting emergencies or other random small deployments at a company level.

Where you will fall in that depends on the unit you get. I've seen boots come in a week before deploying and I've seen some arrive the day we all went on leave after a 6 month deployment.

Well, I see for the most part THAT particular pattern hasn't changed any from 10 years ago.

IF you are given a choice when you check in to your first base (sometimes this happens believe it or not) your BEST bet is to take a unit just beginning it's 'workup'. That way, the Marines IN it get to know you, and you them. By the time you deploy, you'll have 'bonded' with some of the Salts or at least, you won't be the FNG Boot who just blundered into a unit that's been together for months or years.

Thank you Sergeants.

I am sorry, the question was for "INFANTRY" Marines.

EMBARK TAPE BACK ON

Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    There's a lot of info here on Leatherneck about infantry and deployments. Try using the search bar, as this topic has been covered before.

Agree 100%

IF you are given a choice when you check in to your first base (sometimes this happens believe it or not) your BEST bet is to take a unit just beginning it's 'workup'. That way, the Marines IN it get to know you, and you them. By the time you deploy, you'll have 'bonded' with some of the Salts or at least, you won't be the FNG Boot who just blundered into a unit that's been together for months or years.[/quote]

Aren't the assignments still handed out at the end of SOI? Or do they divide you up at receiving? From what I remember you would never even get a chance to ask for a unit because they just assign you.

My assignment was completely random. I was one of 2 who went to 1/2. Everyone else went to 1/8. I don't know how they figured that.

My orders were for the 3rd Marines. When I got to K-Bay I was assigned to 2nd Battalion. Who were manning up for deployment. If I remember right 3/3 had just got back and 1/3 was deployed. Marines were requesting to bounce to a battalion that was deploying. I do not think you could request out of a deploying battalion though.

Thread Information