Post 9/11 Gi Bill
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post 9/11 Gi Bill

Alright here I go, first off i'm full time student that qualifies for 100% of the new post 9/11 gi bill. Thus I should be getting e-5 bah but only got 858 bucks today. Now in order to figure this chit out i have to talk to someone at school but that takes months to get in, is there any way I can just go to the VA and talk to a vet service rep and they could look up my stuff and explain? Basically I'm asking is there any number i can call or a person i could see at the va that could help me understand other than the vet rep at school? Thanks devil dogs.

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Did you look the BAH rate (single) for your zip code?

It's a pain in the ass for sure. I sent my stuff off last AUGUST and just got my certificate of eligibility YESTERDAY.

oh yeah i did and its 1660 so i don't know what the hell is going on.

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    The VA rep at your school would be your best bet. You won't talk to anyone on the phone at the VA regional office right now.

I find it odd, it takes you months to get in to talk to the VA rep. I attend a university with 40,000+ students and around 500 vets, and I walk in every time, rarely waiting more than 10 minutes without any prior planning. The ones at my school are not very good at what they do. I would start there but it sounds like it is more of a VA issue (them not issuing you the correct amount.) The VA reps at MSU seem to do and care about only one thing, and that's certifying that you are enrolled at the University. Good luck!

VA Disability Compensation

Hey, don't you think it's about time that the VA "thought" about increasing
    monthly service-connected disability rates ? I mean, there was a study group that worked on that over a year ago and they did come back with a recommendation of at least a 25% increase in the monthly monetary SC disability payment. It was "back-burnered", or just completely ignored
    by the VA, Congress and all of the political hacks that COULD HAVE done
    something positive for a change. I have been receiving a monthly SC disability payment since 1968, and other than the pathetic COLA increases we have received (none for this year, just a paltry "good faith" $250.) there has never been any increase in the actual basic rate. I think it's
    about time "somebody" took the lead and give all veteran's receiving compensation for a service-connected disability something that could give them some quality of life.
    "Semper Fi"

Last edited by Jeff2336255; 02-01-10 at 11:36 AM. Reason: amendment to statement

I just got my payments for the fall and spring terms plus BAH. It took more than 5 months after certification but better late than never.

Quote Originally Posted by AAV Crewchief View Post
    Did you look the BAH rate (single) for your zip code?

It's a pain in the ass for sure. I sent my stuff off last AUGUST and just got my certificate of eligibility YESTERDAY.

It isn't your zip code taken into account, it's the zip code of the school you are attending. If the zip for your school only does give 858, you'd get more money with the chapter 30 gi bill, as opposed to the 33 your using right now.

I just took a really in depth class on this and I'm writing a PowerPoint about it to give a class on now as well. I just want you to be rich though butler.

Does my monthly amount I get for BAH depend on the amount of credit hours I am taking?? Or is it a flat amount

Quote Originally Posted by WKranz View Post
    It isn't your zip code taken into account, it's the zip code of the school you are attending. If the zip for your school only does give 858, you'd get more money with the chapter 30 gi bill, as opposed to the 33 your using right now.

I just took a really in depth class on this and I'm writing a PowerPoint about it to give a class on now as well. I just want you to be rich though butler.
    hahaha, yeah well my school does fall into my zip, and I figured it all out man. Everything is peachy now. OOHRAH!! Oh and when you finish that power point send it my way man.

Hate to dig up an old thread but I don't want to waste space on a new one of the same topic. Does the Post 9/11 GI Bill reimburse you if you have to pay your tuition fees because your benefits haven't been activated yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Integrity57 View Post
    Hate to dig up an old thread but I don't want to waste space on a new one of the same topic. Does the Post 9/11 GI Bill reimburse you if you have to pay your tuition fees because your benefits haven't been activated yet?
    GI Bill comes in a check form brother you will get it from the first time you call it in, or go online and certify your attendance for that month. As far as getting back pay for months that you went to school, but were not certified under the post 9/11 GI Bill yet. I would say no, the VA won't give you money unless your school notifies the VA that you attended that month, and you called it in to certify it. Sorry bro its how the VA system works man. No back pay on GI Bill, hell I still owe them $600 bucks on an overpayment last year from my last semester. They keep sending me a letter, I'm waiting for a new rating decision under Comp, If I get it I'm going to have theml take what I owe on Comp back pay. Thats a different subject though.

I got a letter from the VA today stating that they had received my application for my GI Bill benefits and they were deciding my case and blah, blah, blah. Anyone else get a letter like that after applying for their Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits?

Quote Originally Posted by Integrity57 View Post
    I got a letter from the VA today stating that they had received my application for my GI Bill benefits and they were deciding my case and blah, blah, blah. Anyone else get a letter like that after applying for their Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits?
    Yes, they like to keep you informed.

Thanks Sgt, just wanted to make sure I wasn't special haha.

Thread Information