A Wee Bit Of History....
Create Post

A Wee Bit Of History....

There is an old Hotel/Pub in Marble Arch, with the gallows adjacent. Prisoners were taken to the gallows (after a fair trial of course) to be hung. The horse drawn dray, carting the prisoner was accompanied by an armed guard, who would stop the dray outside the pub and ask the prisoner if he would like ''ONE LAST DRINK''...
    If he said YES it was referred to as “ONE FOR THE ROAD”
    If he declined, that prisoner was “ON THE WAGON”
    So there you go.

More bleeding history...

They used to use urine to tan animal skins, so families used to all pee in a pot & then once a day it was taken & sold to the tannery. If you had to do this to survive you were "Pizz Poor". But worse than that were the really poor folk who couldn’t even afford to buy a pot they "Didn’t have a pot to pizz in" & were the lowest of the low.

And that's the truth...Now, whoever said History was boring ! ! !

Very interesting. I've always wondered about the "I dont have a pot to pizz in" saying. I've always wondered why anyone would need a pot for that anyway haha. Now i know, thanks.

Platoon Leader Platinum Member jinelson's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Good job Chuck! Do you think thats why they gave us pots for our gourds?

Jim

No better friend/No worse enemy

Them old steel pots came in handy for allot things....

Maybe when we didn't the supplies we needed...when we needed them...we was "Pizz Poor."

Thunder Muggs!

PB, you've got to wake up, in the middle of the night, with the Temperature at - 20% outside, and not a hell of a lot warmer in the house. You reach under the bed, and pull out that Little ceramic jug, lift the cover, and on your knees, pray you don't miss. Then you know what true relief is. S/F Ken

Thread Information