Deployment question for Marines....
Create Post
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Deployment question for Marines....

I suppose when most folks think of Marines being "deployed" these days, they assume the Marine will be shipping-out to either Iraq or Afghanistan.

However, I understand there are also MEU's (Marine Expeditionary Units) that the Marine could be attached to.....

Reason I ask...my son is with 3rd Recon in Okinawa and word is they could be sent to either Afghanistan or "do a pump with 31st MEU" for their deployment.

I would appreciate any info from Marines as to what exactly takes place during an MEU deployment. From the bits and pieces I have heard, it sounds like the deployed Marines are on-board large, Navy Ships like aircraft carriers, etc. But do they ever make port-of-call or have any land-based actual combat during a deployment with an MEU?

Any info much appreciated!

The 31st MEU is a little different but his might give you a little more information

This information is taken from the 22nd MEU's official website.

What is a MEU?
    As a powerful, mobile force deployable from self-contained floating sea bases, the MEU is uniquely equipped and forward-deployed to respond to any threat, protect any American or ally, or squash any menace at any place in the world, often within hours. With its complement of fully-integrated air and ground forces, working closely with its Navy brethren, the MEU is a powerful, expertly-trained, and superbly-equipped force that has proven itself time and again in recent years.

The MEU is composed of four basic elements:

Command Element - Serves as the headquarters for the entire unit and allows a single command to exercise control over all ground, aviation, and combat service support forces.

Ground Combat Element - Provides the MEU with its main combat punch. Built around a Marine infantry battalion, the GCE is reinforced with tanks, artillery, amphibious vehicles, engineers, and reconnaissance assets.

Aviation Combat Element - The ACE consists of a composite medium helicopter squadron containing transport helicopters of various models and capabilities, attack helicopters and jets, air defense teams, and all necessary ground support assets.

Combat Logistics Battalion - Providing the MEU with mission-essential support such as medical/dental assistance, motor transport, supply, equipment maintenance, and landing is the mission of the MSSG.

The MEU consists of approximately 2,200 Marines and Sailors embarked aboard several amphibious ships. Prior to deployment, the men and women of the MEU undergo a rigorous 26-week training program designed to prepare them for any eventuality.

Some, but not all, of the missions the MEU can undertake while deployed are:

- Peacekeeping/Enforcement

- Humanitarian/Disaster Relief

- Security Operations

- Noncombatant Evacuation Operations

- Reinforcement Operations

- Amphibious Raids/Assaults/Demonstrations

- Tactical Deception Operations

- Airfield/Port Seizures

- Show-of-Force Operations

- Reconnaissance and Surveillance

- Seizure/Recovery of Offshore Energy Facilities

- Visit, Board, Search and Seizure of Vessels

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks much, Cudadad.....very detailed info!

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Great Info!!!

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

31st MEU is a little different than all the other MEUs. It's considered more of a "training" MEU as opposed to the other MEUs. Mainly, 31st is involved with exercises in Southeast Asia (and Australia, if you catch it on the right year), and humanitarian efforts in the same regions. They were the guys that went to the Philippines at the end of last year.

Based on his unit, he'll most likely be put on the USS Essex for his floats. My platoon usually stayed right next to all the recon guys in the berthing. It's a large ship, kind of similar to an aircraft carrier, but a bit smaller and has a hole in the back for amphibious type operations. You can Google it for more information.

The places he'll most likely end up are Thailand and the Philippines. There's quite a few other countries they go to, but those two are pretty much the definite ones every year. They went to Australia in 2009, so they won't go again until 2011.

Can't really say exactly what he'll be doing, but most likely he'll be doing "recon stuff" for about two weeks, at some points probably working with the Marines of whatever country he's in. Chances are he won't participate in "real" combat but it's always a possibility. Afterwards he'll get about 4 days of liberty somewhere in the country. (Pattaya is common for Thailand, whereas Subic Bay is the common destination in the Philippines).

I had a blast on the MEU but it's something that you'll either love or hate, there's not really any middle ground.

Credits
    Savings
    Once again, you have proven to be a wealth of great info, TinDragon!

After 6 months deployed even on a ship as large as the USS Essex, do some of the Marines start to feel a little claustrophobic? Or did you make port and get off the ship often enough for that not to become a problem?

I assume a SEAL Team is aboard, also? I can just picture a SEAL Team and a Recon Team squaring-off to decide who the biggest badass's are! Ha!

One other "Recon dad" I have e-mailed with said his son told him that most of his teammates spent a lot of time lifting weights and getting bigger/stronger because there wasn't much else to do when the ship was underway at sea....

It does get a little bad sometimes. The berthing is a lot more cramped than a squad bay is, and there's really nowhere else to go but the chow deck and the gym. Chow deck's usually closed unless it's actual chow time, and the gym is usually packed, even at 3 in the morning.

You will get off the ship for the exercises and libo, and the way we did it (which is not the way it's always done, we just had good timing) was that after every country we went back to Okinawa for about a month before setting out again.

A good way to keep occupied on the boat is with a computer, either by watching movies or playing games. (And I dunno whether Recon has nerdy folks as well, or whether they just got that bored, but there were a few that played Starcraft with us.)

I never saw a SEAL team (though it doesn't mean there wasn't one). Usually the only purpose of the Navy on a MEU is to get us Marines where we need to go, so they don't really need their own... combat unit, I guess? I honestly have no idea what SEALs even do.

hey Hawker - my son's in Okinawa - 5th ANGLICO, have you mailed your Marine anything? I send pkgs out almost every week loaded with goodies but I dont know if hes gotten anything. Hes very busy, im sure so i dont expect him to acknowledge every piece of mail, just wondering what your experience is with mailing stuff there?
    Thanks
    Patty

Credits
    Savings
    gijimsmom,

Nope, I haven't tried to mail/ship him anything yet, so I don't know what the process is on that. We have been keeping in touch with e-mail so far, until I can get Skype set-up on my end....

Take care,

HawkerDad

Im finishing up a rotation with the 30 worst as we speak. Make sure to send him serious care packages if he dips/smokes. The ship I was on would always run low and twords the end they stopped stocking dip altogether. If he does go on the MEU tell him to stay sharp and decently sober in pattaya beach, Thailand. I know one or two Marines on this float who got into a compromising circumstance that they will forever be ridiculed by us for. Lets just say the ladies....arnt always ladies. Im sure his command will brief him on it but a little reenforcement never hurt anyone.

oooppppss! hope i didnt misrepresent situation, my son is actually still in Oki.

for a visual look of what a MEU is the Marines have a new video

www.marines.com/sixhours

I believe this is a new TV commercial yet to air
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciLST5zeMWE

Thread Information