Navy liaison voliated hipaa?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Navy liaison voliated hipaa?

This may be in the wrong area, but i wasnt able to post in the poolee section. But my sons mother has a stepdad who is a navy liaison down at MEPS. After i went through my physical, i had a situation that required a consult. Since im not joining the Navy, i didnt believe he had a reason to look at my results or my records. Well i got a text from my sons mom asking me about it. I aksed her how she knew and she said Nick is a recruiter, he knows everyone there. Hes not a recruiter, thats just how she worded it. Now if im correct, this is a clear violation of my rights?

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Medical is covered under the Privacy Act....so the laison is in the wrong....

Depending on what you want to do and have proof of and how far you want to take it you can file a formal complaint.....with MEPS.

Regardless of who you know....it should not be a topic of neighborhood gossip....the laison is clearly in the wrong.

Credits
    Savings
    hoestly, the only proof i have is of her texts she sent me. If i where to file a complaint, the only thing i see happening is a slap on the wrist.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    A slap on the wrist is better than no slap at all.....

Can you get or print out copies of the Text messages?

You will need some proof other than he said she said.

But regardless of what doctor you go to see....it is private...unless a certain person in the chain has a need to know.

or if a communicable disease that is detrimental to your health or someone else's.

Just because I have a SIL who is a registered nurse...she cannot decipher my medical history and explain it in layman terms to my wife unless I give permission and only for the said ailment.

Seems like to me if the liaison knows someone else going through the MEPS that he can also pass on the information to someone that is not privy to such...

A complaint will at least put the matter to the managerial people so they are aware.

Patient privacy is a concern...it is not bullhorn therapy.

It is not in his job description to give personal information to family members without signing a Release of Information.....if he is not a doctor and it is not an emergency or critical to your health.

Credits
    Savings
    unfortunately with my phone, i dont have the ability to print texts. I can only show the actual texts

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Save them and go back to MEPS with your complaint.

Credits
    Savings
    I think i might, but he is a semi decent guy though, thats where its kind of a noral dilemma

A Clear HIPPA violation. Use the proof you have. How many other people's health care is being dicussed besides you?

Quote Originally Posted by Waveslide View Post
    A Clear HIPPA violation. Use the proof you have. How many other people's health care is being dicussed besides you?
    WRONG! The Armed Forces are not HIPAA-covered entities. Not HIPAA-covered, no HIPAA violation.

Sorry.....

Skip. I beg to differ. A person's medical record, albeit active, retired status remains covered under HIPAA. All individuals must comply with privacy regs. Ref: Within the DoD, DoD 6025.18-R prescribes the uses and disclosures of protected health information (PHI) in accordance with HIPAA (see www.dtic.mil/whs/directives). PHI is “individually identifiable health information” that is created or received by a health care provider, health plan, or employer; that relates to a person’s past, present, or future physical or mental health condition, the provision of health care to a person, or the past, present, or future payment of health care; that identifies the person; and that is transmitted or maintained by electronic or any other form or medium (see DoD 6025.18-R, paragraphs DL1.1.20 and DL1.1.28).

Yes, what happened was a HIPAA violation but should complaint be filed? As an "incident" maybe if a pattern of behavior on the part of the offender can be established; otherwise outside of personal satisfaction, no. One incident will not warrant a Health & Human Services (HHS) or DoJ investigation. On the other hand, illegally soliciting and using private medical information will definitely bring the arm of justice down. One must weigh the effort vs benefit of a complaint. In this case I submit, inform the offender by letting him/her know what happened was a federal offense "punishable by up to 5 years imprisonment."

Thread Information