Right Approach? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Right Approach?

If I may - my son wanted 0861 badder ( hope you dont mind my grammar) than anything else - that was in April of 2009. I am SOO proud to say he is 0861 today - just joined his unit in Okinawa.

Proud Marine Mom of PFC (meritorious promo) Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by newskate9 View Post
    Well gang, that sound you hear is the "ball rolling". We pushed it over the edge last night!

Son and Mom/Dad went to recruiter and after a half hour conversation or so he picked his physical date and "signed in". Now it's paperwork, forms, records....... you know the drill.

He had invited Mom to go along - I told him "big mistake" - you'll see why.... As he and I started asking questions Mom, who doesn't wait for anyone or anything, went into Mom mode and started her own line of questioning. I must say while she was looking for guarantees where none existed for her youngest son, the Marines were about as respectful and engaging as two people could be. After a bit, my son asked Mom to turn it down a bit and we were ok from there.

Before we left I asked one more question: I showed my Army key chain, jacket pin and told them I need some Marine stuff and I need it now! They both laughed and opened up the closet, telling me to have at it. They welcomed my son to the process with a final handshake saying, "Welcome aboard, brother". Overall a great experience.

So, I'm scared to death. Nervous some detail will get over looked that will prevent my son from realizing his dreams and goals. And of course there is that shooting thing. But..... I've read enough and talked enough and know enough Marines, to know he's in good hands. If he does his part, the rest will take care of itself. God Bless you all, and God willing, seems like I'll be around a while to keep you updated.

I don't know if its protocol for a noob Dad to say, Semper Fi, Marines. I'll just say I could feel the bonds between my son and those young men growing already. And my wife is already order "Mom" stuff online when we got home, so that must count for something?????
    Thanks for keeping us updated. I enjoyed reading about your visit to the recruit office and I understand Mom completely. It's just a thing we do.

The 10th of this coming March will be two years since my son left for bootcamp and I've come to realize that he is in very good hands. I've also realize that the core values I worked so hard to teach him as a child have been strengthened now that he is a Marine. I know too that I said goodbye to a child the day he left for boot camp and embraced a man on Graduation.

I believe this process ... the letting go ... is a both a difficult but prideful one for a Mom. I would think that it is not that different for a Dad.

Keep us updated!

The very best to you all.

Quote Originally Posted by usmcdanno View Post

I don't think the Marine Corps guarantees that you will be one of these MOS's.

The Corps can't guarantee these MOS's because the schools for them are few, very tough, have an very high attrition rate and take months upon months to complete. They simply can't take new young guys off the street and guarantee that they will have a "special operations" MOS.

Good luck!
    Gunny, you're absolutely correct; I was a "guaranteed recon" guy, (all I really wanted was 0311) so I asked "what happens if I dont make the cut"?, "well, you'll be a regular grunt then", 6 months later.... Im in Camp Lejune attending school for logistics. It has never once mattered, I AM a Marine!!! And when I went to Iraq, guess what, I went out with the grunts... Wierd how things work.

Good job in being supportive for your son, keep it up. He'll will need/thank/appriceiate, you it later for it.

Quote Originally Posted by zx6rdr View Post
    Gunny, you're absolutely correct; I was a "guaranteed recon" guy, (all I really wanted was 0311) so I asked "what happens if I dont make the cut"?, "well, you'll be a regular grunt then", 6 months later.... Im in Camp Lejune attending school for logistics. It has never once mattered, I AM a Marine!!! And when I went to Iraq, guess what, I went out with the grunts... Wierd how things work.

Good job in being supportive for your son, keep it up. He'll will need/thank/appriceiate, you it later for it.
    Orahhh ZX. The sooner some folks listen to good counsel and have a little common sense, the better off we'll all be. Semper Fi young man, keep your head up (or down sometimes).

S/F, Gy Danno

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by zx6rdr View Post

To save the disappointment and anger for not getting what you want, go open contract. That's just about what you are doing anyway.

Thread Information