DEP at 17 or Join at 17 ?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member MrDemyan's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

DEP at 17 or Join at 17 ?

Hey Marines i was just curious on if i should should the Marine's when i'm 17 or should i do DEP ( Delayed Entry Program ) and then officaly join when im 18 ? and another question, in DEP what do you usualy do on a typical day and when do you go like how many days out of the week? and if you join at 17 when do you go to boot camp etc. ?

Thank you

First at 17, you need your parents signature....18 on your own.

These sites might help answer your questions.....

What the Recruiter Never Told You
    Part 2 - - Meeting the Recruiter
    http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joini...recruiter2.htm

Part 3 - - Enlistment Process and Job Selection
    http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joini...recruiter3.htm

Part 4 - - Enlistment Contracts and Enlistment Incentives
    http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joini...recruiter4.htm

i entered the dep program when i was 17 and turned 18 in bootcamp, why wait? in the dep we went once a week to work out. you should still work out on your own though.

Marine Friend Free Member MrDemyan's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Ok thank you for the information but i got two questions even though i am probably going to end up doing DEP before i sign up for boot camp but is DEP worth it ? and what is your MOS in the Marines?

The DEP is a 'holding status' while you are waiting for your scheduled shipping date to Marine Corps boot camp. It's not like you sign your contract, go to MEPS and your off to boot camp. There's a process to go through.....ASVAB test, if you have any weight to lose, an (IST) initial strength test, medical and criminal background checks, whether you require any waivers or not, what MOS you want......just to name a few. It all takes some time.

your going to have to go into the dep program no matter what. its just how long you have to stay in it, is the thing sometimes people are able to leave right away some have to wait. its the needs of the corps

Quote Originally Posted by wiley View Post
    your going to have to go into the dep program no matter what. its just how long you have to stay in it, is the thing sometimes people are able to leave right away some have to wait. its the needs of the corps
    So when you say "...it's the needs of the corps..." what you really meant to say is, "...it's the needs of the President of the United States, Congress, DoD, and the federal executive department." correct?

The Corps doesn't decide it's own end strength resulting in ship cuts/increase and fluctuation in DEP time.

Everyone has a boss, I'm tired of seeing the phrase "Needs of the Corps..." as the answer for everything because it's NOT.

Thread Information