Amplification To The Marine Corps Tattoo Policy - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    When we pulled into singapore there was a standing order to not get any tatoos there. A Marine in my unit defyed that order and went and got a big pair of marylyn monroe lips tatooed on this stomach. Couple weeks later he asked me if his eyes looked yellow. He had gotten hepatitus and his liver was already shutting down. If he had followed orders he would probably still be alive today.

Wow!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84 View Post
    (I wanted my butt to get as wide as it was ever gonna get before I slapped that Ordnance stamp on it and copyrighted it).
    Did you put the pic in the tattoo photo thread?

get all the tattoos you want on your arms ---that opens SDA for Marines that follow the rules

you can be a boot CPl.
    you can be a boot Sgt.
    you can be a boot SSGT.

guess you are just a boot///or even worse you are a shower shoe from afghanistan,,,,have you ever walked to the head in shower shoes in afghanistan--they get destroyed real quick

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Great profile, Howie!!!.......and you're STILL a FVCKIN' POSER!!!!

This really doesn't bother me at all. Personally, I would rather not have a tattoo that is visible outside of a standard T shirt, for a number of reasons. My great grandfather was almost arrested because a man who looked like him robbed a bank, but that man had a tattoo on his forearm. Because he didn't he was cleared. That and my tattoos are personal, I didn't get them for anyone else, I got them for me.

Plus, if I get one where it doesn't show, I can get whatever the **** I want, I'm the only person that see's my shirtless(usually, I have some questions about my room mate...)

Quote Originally Posted by DocGreek View Post
    Great profile, Howie!!!.......and you're STILL a FVCKIN' POSER!!!!
    Got to agree with Doc about this loser!

Yeah tats can be seen as a tradition but you didn't see Marines with full sleeves or tats on their necks, etc back in the day. Leadership saw it was getting out of control (their belief not mine) so they overreacted.
    BTW I saw a memo where the Army high command is debating following the Marines lead on tats.

To me I think it is all BS, if I want to get tattooed all over my arms so be it. In what way does it affect my my ability to do my job? If I can't get commission or reup becuase of the tattoos that I have already or the ones I am going to get, then it will be time to go to a different branch.

I disagree with a lot of the arguments Marines are making. When we enlisted we all became subject to the mercy of the Marine Corps desires, and any one who thought different is naive. If you think you have a RIGHT to get tattooed your sadly mistaken.The problem I have with the new tattoo policy the restriction it places on Marines who already have tattoos. I got a sleeve as a LCpl back in 2005 and was 100% in accordance with the regulations at the time. In 2007 when the tattoo policy came out i was dissapointed, not only because i liked tattoos myself but i was also working part time at a tattoo parlor in town. I didnt like the new policy but that is life. When that policy came out i got pictures taken of all my tats and was told it would not affect my career. From that point i have not received a single new tattoo, and now that the newest policy is out my ability to advance in the Corps is extremely hindered. I cant grasp why the new CMC would want to halt the success of Marines who are tattooed and did so when it was in regulation. And what about already Commissioned Officers who have sleeves? Will they be eligable for promotion? If the CMC decides he wants no more tats in the Corps I will support him 100% but i dont enjoy having my career **** on because he wants to change policy.

Follow the rules or get out. Its that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Menso View Post
    To me I think it is all BS, if I want to get tattooed all over my arms so be it. In what way does it affect my my ability to do my job?
    Well, for one, you won't be able to do your job if the Corps ad seps you for getting "Immabadass" or "IdowhatIwant" tattooed on your forehead.

But if you think you're above the rules/regs of the Marine Corps go on and do whatever you want. Good luck with that. Let us know how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson07 View Post
    Well I personally don't agree with it. It will also play a large part in my decision to re-enlist or not. The Army is sounding pretty nice. Actually current Coast Guard regs even allow their officers to have full sleeves.

As for OPSEC, when I am in an enviroment where I don't want my tattoos seen I wear long sleeves. Problem solved.

I understand many have differing views, but that is just my two cents.
    I hear you, I know a kid who couldn't get into the USMC because part of a tattoo poked out further than is allowed, so he said the USAF will take him....that would mean the USMC has the toughest anti-tattoo policy in the Military...?

Daaaaaang.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    When we pulled into singapore there was a standing order to not get any tatoos there. A Marine in my unit defyed that order and went and got a big pair of marylyn monroe lips tatooed on this stomach. Couple weeks later he asked me if his eyes looked yellow. He had gotten hepatitus and his liver was already shutting down. If he had followed orders he would probably still be alive today.
    How long ago was this, 20 years ago? In Singapore? ooookaaaay.

Is this supposed to be the Marine Corps or the girl scouts ? I think the GSA must have sent some of their troop leaders over to take charge in the Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner 0313 View Post
    Is this supposed to be the Marine Corps or the girl scouts ? I think the GSA must have sent some of their troop leaders over to take charge in the Corps.
    Seems like more PC crap, Kelly.

Thread Information