Corpsman in Denial!?!?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Exclamation Corpsman in Denial!?!?

Every third Friday, I attend a Corpsman/Medic group, at the V.A...Got into a discussion about battlefield wounds, last meeting. Out of 6 group members, 5 of us have combat experience.
    Wounds suffered by the men we were responsible for, were from one end of the scale to the extreme. After discussing wounds, ALL of the combat Doc's...me too....admitted that we had been wounded, and took care of them with the help of buddy's back at our Battalion Med's.
    Besides me, 2 other Doc's REFUSED their Purple Hearts....out of SHAME. Being in the wrong place, at the RIGHT time, got us hurt. Trying to shield our patients, and give aid, during a firefight....WELL....you get the idea.
    STILL...none of us want to be awarded P.H.'s for DOING OUR JOB!!! In ten to fifteen minutes of complete chaos, crap happens VERY FAST!
    Without a DOUBT, being a combat Doc, is the toughest, most heart ripping experience, ANYONE could go through. Now...THAT is the true meaning of SEMPER FIDELIS.....Doc Greek...

Semper Fi to our Devil Doc's. Keeping us alive.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

There's no doubt in my mind that the Corpsman, along with SOME of the chopper pilots, who took care of us irrespective of the chaos/smoke/lead/shrapnel/mortar fire that filled the air sometimes for hours were the UNSUNG HEROS of Viet Nam. Never, not once, did I see a Corpsman refuse to "make his way" to someone in pain shouting "Corpsman". How they remained so calm, cool, and collected was completely beyond me. Watching/helping them put someone back "together" while later heaving my guts out and up chuking was something I'll NEVER forget. I too received some shrapnel wounds to my face which of course bleeds like hell. The Corpsman who attended me also wanted to submit my name/Serial# for a PHeart and I also refused. That medal should only go to a soilder where actual damage was done. A couple little scars on my face ain't makin it. Again to all the Corpsman out there who took care of us, THANX YOU DESERVE IT!! I'd serve with you again anytime, anywhere! SF Airborne

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I like that response fasteropr.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Semper Fi Doc!!!

Semper Fi John, you should take the purple heart, anyway godbless you and all the combat doc.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Cool You ever have Too stop or Slow Your own Bleeding Down???

Who in their right Mind would want a Purple Heart "AKA.John Wayne Medal" all our Corpsmen were Dead in the NVA.Bunkers.My surviving Buddies patched Me up the best they could.I almost Bled out,thank God for the Heroics of The Purple Foxes they pulled Me up in a Basket Litter under Heavy Enemy Fire!!! S/F Heres too Ya' Sky Grunts

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It is something some want to award themselves and talk about in the shadey corner of the VFW. I skinned my knee while rushing to the chow hall while our mortars were giving a wake up call. I feel I am deserving of the purple heart because I missed lunch and scratched my arm rushing to the chow hall.

Anyone who claims to have seen action that deserves the purple heart and denied it should also go ahead and toss what ever ribbons else they have.

There are thousands of Marines on this site who got the purple heart the hard way, that would probably shed a tear at your pathetic attempt to award yourself one. Go see John Kerry.

Hey you go crazy see the VA ... you might just be the winner of a new house and corvette free of charge. La la la ... I'm freakin crazy give me money. I'm going to the VA to see if someone will actually buy my story about all them commies I killed and all the lives I've saved.

40 years ago for 4 days you walked behind a platoon of Marines so now you rate to say ohh rahh and semper fi.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Robert first of all Welcome Back on Leatherneck but I do not understand that how one minute you seem to be praising Doc and then in that last post a big cut down or that's how I see it. What's up with that?
    I didn't receive a purple heart and I'm thankful I didn't get any wounds
    I salute all you Marines that did receive Purple Hearts and earned them and for your service to our Corps and Country. Also a BIG Welcome HOME Marine
    I'll never forget that it took about 20 years for my first Welcome Hope Marine from anyone, and when I did get it I cried and so did he.
    I think the Doc's are a special breed and most I know would lay down there life for ours. All the Doc's I knew always put themselves last and always us first.
    Most Marines I know did the same always thinking of our buddies.

All you Marines on here are my friends on here but I don't like it when anyone puts down another. I try not to judge anyone until I've walked a mile in there boots and believe me there are allot of big boots on here to fill.
    Marines like Doc and especially Ken were in the Corps when it was a hard tough Corps not to say its not today but I do believe it soften up even when I was in Boot Camp in 68 compared to now. Ken was in Boot Camp the year I was born 49. We all could learn allot from these older Marines and they deserve our total respect. Don't know about all of you but I don't remember everything as it happened back then and try to forget and just remember the good stuff.

Again Doc thanks for your service and I think if your earned a Purple Heart you should have taken it. I think its almost a slap in the face to earn one and not receive it. I do understand your thoughts and its your right.
    All of us should always read what we post before hitting the send button. Things sometime don't come out in words like I meant for them to. Just like this reply I hope all of you take it as it is meant.
    Once A Marine Always A Marine and Damn proud of it
    I would have been proud to have served with any of you guys
    Nuff said for now and if your don't like my opinion just remember everyone has a opinion just like a ass hole we all have one but not the same. Hell sometimes I don't understand what I say.
    Semper Fi Redman

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    THANKS BUDDY. Should have NEVER have posted that if it offended anyone.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Doc,Semper Fi ! you earned it and my respect.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hey Doc don't ever worry about what you post just post what you feel and if anyone don't like it they don't have to read it.
    I enjoy reading about every-one's life and how they feel about everything, That's what brothers are for. Hell if for no other reason just let what you feel out and it will make you feel better. I know everyone don't have a Karen to share with and that's one reason were here for each other. Keep posting anything and be happy and remember you have allot of friends on here.
    Hope you have a good night and I look forward to seeing you post on Morning Zephyr about breakfast which always makes me hungry
    Sgt Jim hope you and Rose have a good night
    Semper Fi Redman

Ditto to you Redman. Come on men, WTF!! How often did we argue and get into each others face when we were in? How quickly it disappeared when we were on patrol. The rights we fought for included the right to say what you felt/think. More than once I got into trouble simply by doing exactly just that. I made PFC three times. Dont matter, I didn't go in to be a general. I DID want an Honorable Discharge however and I got it. I never got a Good Conduct Medal, and I don't miss it to this day. You can have all my ribbons and my shooting badges but you'll never take my wings till I'm dead. You're right, noones forcing anyone to read anything. Let us not forget they're simply words on a friggin screen. SF Airborne

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Unfortuneately I live on a military base and get to see on a daily basis Marines, Soldiers, and Sailors who wear the purple heart. Many are missing limbs, severely and permanately burned beyond repair etc etc. Pretty humble group that doesn't have to validate themselves. I know a few that would gladly give doc any sort of medal he wants in exchange for their hearing or site or arm or leg.

A lot of us have seen some really bad chit that we would like to skip over that chapter of our lives.

Kinda bothered me to read someone saying "I rate a PH but turned it down". I spoke my feelings about that.

Thread Information