MOS Selection Question
Create Post

MOS Selection Question

My recruiter informed me today that my first choice of rifleman 0311 was rejected and I received my third choice of engineers assistant 1361. The point of being a rifleman was to be able to try out for reconnaissance man 0321. As far as I have heard, being an engineers assistant and trying to be moved to try out for recon is damn near impossible. ASVAB was a 97 and I have passed all my ISTs.

Anything I can do?

only thing u can do is keep bugging your recruiter about getting your job but since your leaving in less than a week you could always get out of the dep and wait till a infantry job to pop up but that could take awhile

Maybe go for open contract and hopefully an infantry job will open up before you go.

From what I have heard from my recruiter, anybody can try out for MARSOC. If this is the case, make sure you have a killer pft and do really well on the range.

There is a poolee at my station who has something like Tank crewman for a job, but really wanted infantry so he could go recon. My recruiter (who was a PMI at MCRDSD for a few years) said that there is a GySgt at the range(don't know how often), observing recruits quietly, if he sees potential, he'll walk up to you and give you his card, and which you go from there. Apparently he's a MARSOC recruiter.

I don't know if my recruiter was just trying to calm the poolee down and re-assure him or what. But that's what he said. From that, make sure you excel at everything and you might still have a shot

Edit: oh and make sure you fill out your profile some more. It's kind of a big thing around here.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    How could he tell you what your specific job is? Did he say you would be an engineers assistant, or that you would be in that field. You dont get your specific job until the end of boot. Right now you should only know your field

Dude if you have an asvab score of 97 I would get out of the DEP and wait until there is a job that you want available. With that score you will get offered any job you want if there is an opening. Now that all depends of course on how long you feel like waiting. Me personally I wanted infantry and I wanted to leave as soon as possible after me DEP enlistment.

Quote Originally Posted by joshpike4 View Post
    Dude if you have an asvab score of 97 I would get out of the DEP and wait until there is a job that you want available.

Leaving the DEP would be the wrong choice. He probably wouldn't get back in.

I dont know much about leaving and coming back but im sure it would be difficult. But I would fight for the job that you want. Especially with such a high score.

Thread Information