I'm joining.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm joining.

Talking I'm joining.

hello everyone! My name is Tailor, and I've decided to take the journey and try to become a Marine. I took the asvab a few years ago and I talked the recruiter again today, but i do have to get within weight standards before i can sign. I'm definetly signing, and i'm extreamly excited. The recruiter said i can take a practice asvab and see if i should retake the actual test or just keep the score i have now. BUT does anyone have any advice for dropping weight fast yet healthy, that way i can expedite the process?`

Dropping weight 'fast' is never a good idea. It's very unhealthy for you.
    There are a few threads in the poolee forum on weight loss tips.
    Without being nosey, how much weight do you have to lose?

well technically i only need to lose 20 lbs, but that's just making it so I would like to lose 30 lbs

Like WM said, Dropping a lot of weight quickly is not healthy. Just do a lot of cardio, cut down on your calorie intake, go to a gym and use a steam room. Also, if you're feeling really motivated look into Crossfit. It's some of the most intense workouts you can do and will surely cut your weight fast but in a somewhat "safe" manner. Find out if there is a crossfit gym near your location, and get a membership. You wont regret it.

is having coffee allowed? i get iced coffe with a lil skim milk and 4 splendas, is that okay? or should i cut off coffee as well. cause other then coffee i only drink water.

If you eat right, exercise right and diet the right way, you can lose that 30 pounds in about 3 months. I know that may seem like a long time, but it's not. Either see if your recruiter can help you out with a exercise program, or check on the internet for an exercise program.
    I found a bunch of exercises that I started doing this past summer, and they helped. I was a little out of shape then, but not now. I exercise 5-6 times a week in my basement. I lift light weights, do a little bit of aerobics, ride my stationary bike 10 miles 3-5 times a week, and take my dog for a walk. And in the summer, I go over my neices house to swim and do some water aerobics.
    One thing to keep in mind while you do exercise and diet, drink plenty of water!
    Best of luck to you!

Cut the coffee out, and if you drink soda. I like to get the Gatorade Propel packets and Crystal Light packets and put them in a bottle of water.

Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    Cut the coffee out, and if you drink soda. I like to get the Gatorade Propel packets and Crystal Light packets and put them in a bottle of water.
    I would have to agree with WMarine here. I have been a wrestler for a very long time and coffee and soda is a big no no. Work out and run alot steam rooms help as well but I only use them for last min cutting. Eat right and stay moto and you should be able to cut the weight.

As a coffee fanatic, I'm gonna go against the previous two posters and defend it by saying that you dont have to cut out the coffee altogether, especially if you're using Splenda. I dont think coffee affects weight loss or weight gain one way or the other, it is the sugar and cream that can add calories.

However, the caffeine may act like a diuretic, so I wouldnt be drinking 4 or 5 cups before you go work out on a hot day. For one, you'll have to make quite a few pee stops, and two, you dont want to be losing all that fluid when you are working out.

On the other hand, I dont think you should be afraid of a morning cup of coffee either, just keep up the water intake. The key is keeping yourself well hydrated.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I lost 50 lbs in 1 month, no ill effects at all. Just goes to show not all is known.
    My son in law had to loose 20 lbs in 2 weeks to get into the Army. So I coached him.

When your young, things are easy.

you should coach me. lol

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailorie View Post
    you should coach me. lol
    I'll give you a hint. No starches. Not one. Now it's up to you to find all the hidden starches.

Caffiene wicks out the moisture in your muscles. Stay with the water. Water lubricates your muscles. You dont want to go through withdrawels in boot camp from caffiene.

It's caffeine that is proving to show health benefits according to recent medical research. So if it agrees with you and you prefer coffee as opposed to soda or other sugar charged Rockstars or Monster beverages, enjoy 'Until further notice....

I know elderly ranchers and farmers who drink a quart or more of coffee everyday since youth, that are reasonably fit and capable of physically and mentally out-working many of the pups. They just can't drink coffee in the latter part of the day or they'll never get to sleep because we know that caffeine sticks to us and can be released long after ingestion. Most notably in older folks.

A diuretic can also be good: releasing the bladder relieves pressure on constricted blood vessels, lowering blood pressure, hypertension etc...

People who live in regions that have the most 80, 90 and centenarians Per capita will pluck various herbs from their garden for the brewing of a daily tea. What this blend of herbs have in common is a diuretic effect, it makes them pee.

--->Dave

Coffee that's not loaded with sugar is not bad for you at all. On the contrary it's actually quite beneficial if you drink a cup before you do heavy excersize. It cuts down on muscle pain from lactic acid build up. I usually drink a cup before I go on a long run.

Thread Information