Paper Help-Patriotism
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Paper Help-Patriotism

Hello All Marines and poolees!
    I already posted the question to pooles in the poolee hall but then remembered Ill probably get more out of the Marines here. So Im currently writing a paper for my english class final. I am doing the topic of Patriotism. I was wondering if any of you knew of any peices of qaulity literature (ie: quotes, poems, letters, novels, plays) that expressed that topic.

Thanks all in Advance!
    -Poolee Jacobsen

Just to let you know, the purpose of the the Ask A Marine forum is to allow those who are aspiring to join the U.S. Marine Corps the chance to ask questions regarding this career choice.
    Your question has nothing to do with wanting to become a Marine or boot camp, and you double posted, which is a no-no.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hope this Helps.
    Good luck with your paper.

http://www.americanpatriotweb.com/patriotic-quotes.htm

One of my favorite quotes:

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country."

John F Kennedy, Inaugural Address, Jan 20, 1961

Okay Im sorry I didnt think it would be an issue beacuse I was just trying to get some ideas and help from other people. The reason I choose that topic was beacuse of my desire to be a Marine.
    And also thank you Marine, thats a good list of quotes!

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ajacobsen19 View Post
    Okay Im sorry I didnt think it would be an issue beacuse I was just trying to get some ideas and help from other people. The reason I choose that topic was beacuse of my desire to be a Marine.
    And also thank you Marine, thats a good list of quotes!
    Your Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country."

Ha Thats my speeches opening quote! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ajacobsen19 View Post
    Ha Thats my speeches opening quote! Thank you.
    LOL, great minds think alike.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thats an excellent choice, provoke your audience to search their souls to answer that statement. I would love to be a fly in the room and read the me generations minds.

Jim

Here is one from Sir Winston Churchill, the Prime Minister of England during WWII. This quote is extracted from his speech to the House of Commons, June 4, 1940 after the Dunkirk evacuation. It reflects his patriotism to his own country.

Here is the common quote:

"We shall not flag nor fail, we shall go on to the end. We shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air...whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in streets and on the hills. We shall never surrender."

Here is the same quote in it's proper context:

I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our Island home, to ride out the storm of war, and to outlive the menace of tyranny, if necessary for years, if necessary alone. At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of His Majesty's Government-every man of them. That is the will of Parliament and the nation. The British Empire and the French Republic, linked together in their cause and in their need, will defend to the death their native soil, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of their strength. Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.

You should google "forefathers quotes" or something similar. I'm sure those guys said some profound things about patriotism.

Can't really fill your paper with quotes though so think of what else are you going to write. Also, remember to properly cite all sources.

If you have time, check out JFK's book "Profiles in Courage"

Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post

That is my favorite too, Semper Fidelis.

There is a TON of info I've ran into by reading books about the war in Iraq/Afghanistan. You can get a lot of valuable info by picking up a book or two and just see what/how the Marine Corps does things in country, and some of the things they go through, say, and do.

I can recommend reading:

Flags of Our Fathers by James Bradley (about Iwo Jima)
    Shooter by GySgt Jack Coughlin
    From Baghdad, With Love by LtCol. Jay Kopelman
    From Baghdad, to America by LtCol. Jay Kopelman

I would start with those.

Thank you Marines!
    Yeah I have some letters during the wars, and A few poems in this too.
    All of your help is greatly appreciated

Thread Information