Quitting Smoking?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quitting Smoking?

I was wondering if any poolees had any advice on quitting smoking before boot. Any and all help will be appreciated.

When I was at the bank a few weeks ago the branch manager was talking to me about her son (who's in the Marines. He's currently stationed in Okinawa, Japan. He used to smoke, but she told me that once she got to Parris Island, they had him put his cigarettes on the table and they told him "You just quit"

I don't know if this is true or not, but I wouldn't doubt it..Just try patches or gum and hopefully those will help. Not sure what else to tell ya

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    From what i understand when you get there you won't even think about cigarettes much less want one. then hopefully after you graduate you will just be able to kick it.

i wana try the gum but its just so darn expensive. And kyle im trying to quit before boot camp so im not worried about it at all while im there lol.

btw sokal this is off topic but how do you get an uploaded picture to show? I uploaded one of myself but i can't see it when i post.

You can get free patches and gum through some program. Try to google it.

Smoke a half a cigarette everytime youd normally have one, eventually youll be able to skip one of the cigarettes you'd normally have/go longer between smokes. Keep progressing with that until you're done, that worked for me.

Keep this in mind: If you dont want to legitimately quit you probably wont, it's all about willpower(even with the gums/patches).

That is true. From everyone I have know who quit you have to want to quit.

Quote Originally Posted by TKOTapout View Post
    btw sokal this is off topic but how do you get an uploaded picture to show? I uploaded one of myself but i can't see it when i post.
    go to my info -> edit avatar.. the avatar is the picture underneath your name

i quit cold turkey two weeks ago..i can already feel the difference in my lungs and feels alot better when i run!

and quitting cigarettes is mostly MENTAL! you have to want to quit like bombard said..getting thru the first 3 days is the hardest. after that theres no tobacco in your system for the most part and then u just have to work on the habit of having one in your hand. at least that how i experienced it

You dont have a choice, you will not be able to smoke at boot camp. Might as well quit now and make it easier on yourself..

instead of smoking cigarettes. dont smoke cigarettes. worked for me

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    cold turkey is the only way. your body is not as good at weaning itself off of nicotine as you might think - no matter when or how you put nicotine into your body (patch, gum, cigarette), your body is only going to want more. i used to smoke well over a pack a day for a few years. cold turkey baby. it's plenty SIMPLE to cut cigarettes - don't smoke them - its just DIFFICULT as balls.

Thread Information