Marine Corps Lacrosse
Create Post

Marine Corps Lacrosse

This thread is for anyone that maybe interested in a "Marine Corps Lacrosse" team. Past, present and future. I have search from time to time and there is not a lot out there. But, this morning I stumbled on this article. So, in an effort to provide some info for any Marine or poolee that might have an interest. I started this thread. I will continue to search for more. Please, if you have any information, thought and or ideas, jump in. Thanks to the Marines that have PMd me in the past. If anyone knows this Marine, Christopher R. Castleberry, let me know!

S/F Matt

http://www.marines.mil/unit/mcasmira...imedreams.aspx
    Little known lacrosse team has big time dreams

12/11/2009 By Lance Cpl. Manuel F. Guerrero, Marine Corps Air Station Miramar

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION MIRAMAR, Calif. — The Marine Corps currently sanctions 23 All-Marine teams ranging from basketball to chess, but not for the oldest Northern American sport created. More than 20 Marines from military instillations across Southern California meet aboard Marine Corps Air Station Miramar every Saturday morning and Wednesday afternoon to practice lacrosse.
    The team started four years ago when Christopher R. Castleberry, team captain, started recruiting Marines interested in the sport. Marines interested can join anytime as long as they have gear for practices and scrimmages.
    In the past five months, the team has seen an influx of Marines interested in joining the physical sport, which has helped them get recognition.
    “Marines are always approaching us during practice all the time,” said Nicholas S. Samaras, a midfielder for the squad. “It’s encouraging to see people interested.”
    The bid to make the team an All-Marine team has not come without work. Members of the team play against college and semi-professional teams, and they competed in the 2009 Hawaii Lacrosse Invitational. They are also slated to host a Wounded Warrior tournament next year, bringing top lacrosse competition to the air station.
    Some members of the team have had dialogue with Headquarters Marine Corps regarding how to make lacrosse an All-Marine Sport. The progress has been slow but everything they do is geared on recognizing them as All Marine, commented Castleberry.
    “We’ve pushed it pretty hard,” said Castleberry, who hopes to have an All-Marine lacrosse team by next year. “We’re staying with it and doing the right things to get recognized.”
    Since the team has expanded recently, members can now focus on building team camaraderie and playing the game they love.
    “We’re definitely starting to get more of a bond as a team lately,” said Brian J. Foersch, an attacker for the team.
    The fast-paced and physical game of lacrosse is played on a 110 yard-long field with four quarters ranging from 10 to 15 minutes. Teams play 11-players deep with four key positions: goalie, defensemen, mid-fielders and attackers.
    Although the team does not have a set name, members know that if they stay the course, they will have an All-Marine team when it’s all said and done.
    -30-

I knew they'd have something. As far as I know, the Marine Corps has a team for almost any sport, I'm on the Paintball team and my SSgt is on the Football team.

I'll be looking for you on ESPN 2 - that must be a blast!! Keep us posted...

Quote Originally Posted by StoneTheWeak View Post
    I knew they'd have something. As far as I know, the Marine Corps has a team for almost any sport, I'm on the Paintball team and my SSgt is on the Football team.

Im Sgt Castleberry and I will be the POC for anything lacrosse related for MCRD San Diego, MCAS Miramar, Camp Pendleton, and beyond.

Feel free to contact me directly at; 951.897.7556 or via email to USMCASTLE@YAHOO.COM

Semper Lax,

Castle

Thread Information