Prior service/OCS/FLEP
Create Post
    Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries

Prior service/OCS/FLEP

I'm an 8 year Marine veteran. I am 32, and left the Marine Corps in Jan 2005. I've recently finished my MBA, and am thinking that law school is the direction that I would like to take. I've been reading into what options there are in the Marines to receive a commission and complete law school, somewhat simultaneously. I understand that I am pushing age limits or commissioning, but I can't get a solid answer as to what my drop dead date is for receiving a commission. I've read that the max age for prior service is 32, but I've also read that the age limit is adjusted according to the amount of active duty time I've already served. IF that were the case, 32-8=26. It's not clear to me what the guidelines are.

Also, are there any other guidelines when taking the law route?

Maybe SSgt Petz could help you out, Semper Fidelis.

There've been SSgt's/GySgt's who went to OCS, so I wouldn't doubt you could. I would try asking on MarineOCS.com, though. There is a alot of officer Marines on that forum and help others wanting to get a comission.

I knew a Gunny that went officer, he was old as dirt and by no means even close to 32, hell he only made it to Capt by retirement.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    Thanks a lot guys. I have the entire family ready to go back, and I don't want to dissapoint them.

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by EasyJ View Post
    I'm an 8 year Marine veteran. I am 32, and left the Marine Corps in Jan 2005. I've recently finished my MBA, and am thinking that law school is the direction that I would like to take. I've been reading into what options there are in the Marines to receive a commission and complete law school, somewhat simultaneously. I understand that I am pushing age limits or commissioning, but I can't get a solid answer as to what my drop dead date is for receiving a commission. I've read that the max age for prior service is 32, but I've also read that the age limit is adjusted according to the amount of active duty time I've already served. IF that were the case, 32-8=26. It's not clear to me what the guidelines are.

Also, are there any other guidelines when taking the law route?
    EasyJ, I'd recommend speaking to your local OSO. I am not sure of the exact guidelines regarding age, but 32 is close. Nevertheless, there is definitely the possibility of a waiver. A friend of mine was I believe 30 when he went through OCS. He is now a JA. If I can remember correctly from hearing previous discussion on this, then the key is to have a good PFT score. A solid PFT score (I'd say at least 280) with your prior service will look real good to get an age waiver. Best of luck.

As far as different regs for the law contracts, I am not sure. As far as I know, it is the same for the ground or air contracts. I could, however, be wrong which is exactly why it would be a good idea to talk to an OSO.

V/r

Last edited by Geagle05; 01-13-10 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Additional Info

Thread Information