Thoughts from a prospective marine
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Thoughts from a prospective marine

Hello everyone, first of all let me offer my thanks all of those here who have sacrificed so much to serve our country. I am currently in my sophomore year of college, and for many months now I have had a strong desire to join the Marine Corps when I graduate. Part of it stems from the fact that I am very undecided when it comes to what I want to do with the rest of my life, however that is not the only factor that is contributing to my consideration to join the military. I have always felt that life is too short and you should do as much as you can with the time you have on this earth and make the biggest difference you can. I have always loved America dearly, having lived in a small town in Scotland for a good portion of my youth, I've realized the opportunities that this county offers is boundless.
    I've always loved working out and staying in shape, and I hate the thought of of getting a job in the future that has me sit at a desk and have my body slowly deteriorate. In my consideration of joining the military, there was no doubt which branch I wish to enlist in. I hope to push my body to the very gates of hell, and come out the other side knowing I achieved the impossible.
    My question to you is, I will graduate college at 22, which I assume is not too old to join the Corp. Having earned a 4-year degree, I will be eligible to enlist as an officer...however I yearn for the struggle to fully prove myself worthy of the title of a Marine and go through basic as a grunt. Is this practical? Is it common? What would you guys recommend?

EDIT: I apologize, I posted in squad bay, for marines only...this was my first post...need to learn my way around.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Your post will likely be moved, don't worry too much.

Lets see, grunt or Officer,,,,,,ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

Credits
    Savings
    If you earn the title of Marine and also earn the rank of an officer I would say you excedded your goal of earning the title.
    Go for it !
    Semper Fi

22 is NOT to old to join enlisted, I went to bootcamp with a guy that turned 31 while we there and graduated a PVT.

First off..."Grunt" is a term of endearment used by the infantry and infantry only. Calling us "Basic" is tantamount to an insult because there is nothing basic about being Infantry.

Second, I would recommend learning about the Marine Corps. There are many websites out there to help you.

Third, you are going to graduate with a Degree...so I would recommend using that key in order to become an officer. However, Officer training and Recruit training are polar opposites in terms of training and responsibility...but the end result is you being a Marine. Again, alot of your questions could be answered by googling "USMC Boot Camp" or "Marine Officer Training (OCS)"

Officer or enlisted?

Radioclash,

Congratulations on your decision to earn the title!

You wrote: "My question to you is, I will graduate college at 22, which I assume is not too old to join the Corp. Having earned a 4-year degree, I will be eligible to enlist as an officer...however I yearn for the struggle to fully prove myself worthy of the title of a Marine and go through basic as a grunt. Is this practical? Is it common? What would you guys recommend?"

I spent my first 14 years as an enlisted Marine, so I can tell you that both routes offer different challenges and rewards. Most struggle with either route at one point or another, and I’m sure you will not be disappointed either way if a challenge is what you seek. If you decide to go the enlisted route, there are a number of competitive enlisted-to-officer commissioning programs you can investigate down the road if you change your mind.

In making your decision, you might think to the future, beyond your time in the Corps, to which route would best prepare you for your future goals.

Best of luck to you!

Capt Tausch

Thread Information