New Here
Create Post

Thread: New Here

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

New Here

Hey everybody,

I'm brand new to this foum, so if this is posted in the wrong place I appologize. I am a junior in highschool, and for as long as I can remember I have wanted to join the military. I just recently in the last couple of months however have decided to join the Marine Corps.I am interested in becoming an officer, and I have a few questions I am hoping you guys can answer for me. In route to becoming an officer, I am stuck between the NROTC Marine Option and PLC. PLC definately interests me more, since it doesn't interfere with school, and you only have 12 total weeks of training while you are in college. However, it looks like you gotta be pretty qualified to get into the program. I am not saying I'm not qualified, it just seems kind of like a gamble because if you don't get accepted, and you are not enrolled in NROTC at the time, you are kinda out of the loop in regards to becoming an Officer. So, here are my questions.

1. If anyone has gone through either of these programs, what was it like? Would you recommend one over the other?
    2. If I do not enroll in NROTC with hopes of getting into PLC, and I do not get accepted into PLC, can I still decide to join NROTC at the beginning of my junior year, and commission as an officer upon graduation? I assume I will have to do some kind of special sumemr training which is fine.
    3. What kind of SAT score, GPA, and extracurriculars do you need to have to be competitive for PLC?
    4. At what point do they let you know if you got into PLC? Do they look at your freshman year of college grades, or highschool grades?

I am going to talk to my OSO in the next month, so if you do not know the answers to some of these questions it's alright. I am just trying to find out as much as possible before I go see him.

Thankyou.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by connormerwin199 View Post
    Hey everybody,

I'm brand new to this foum, so if this is posted in the wrong place I appologize. I am a junior in highschool, and for as long as I can remember I have wanted to join the military. I just recently in the last couple of months however have decided to join the Marine Corps.I am interested in becoming an officer, and I have a few questions I am hoping you guys can answer for me. In route to becoming an officer, I am stuck between the NROTC Marine Option and PLC. PLC definately interests me more, since it doesn't interfere with school, and you only have 12 total weeks of training while you are in college. However, it looks like you gotta be pretty qualified to get into the program. I am not saying I'm not qualified, it just seems kind of like a gamble because if you don't get accepted, and you are not enrolled in NROTC at the time, you are kinda out of the loop in regards to becoming an Officer. So, here are my questions.

1. If anyone has gone through either of these programs, what was it like? Would you recommend one over the other?
    2. If I do not enroll in NROTC with hopes of getting into PLC, and I do not get accepted into PLC, can I still decide to join NROTC at the beginning of my junior year, and commission as an officer upon graduation? I assume I will have to do some kind of special sumemr training which is fine.
    3. What kind of SAT score, GPA, and extracurriculars do you need to have to be competitive for PLC?
    4. At what point do they let you know if you got into PLC? Do they look at your freshman year of college grades, or highschool grades?

I am going to talk to my OSO in the next month, so if you do not know the answers to some of these questions it's alright. I am just trying to find out as much as possible before I go see him.

Thankyou.
    Have you used the search function yet? Just yesterday there was an excellent post on the Poolee forum by a Marine Captain discussing many NROTC/PLC options. Give the search a try.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I apologize for not reading the rules. I didn't even know about the search tool, and now I know where it is. Sorry again, and I will follow the rules now.

Thread Information