How do I explain to a 4 y/o Daddy is leaving for a bit?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do I explain to a 4 y/o Daddy is leaving for a bit?

I'm heading to San Diego on March 9th, and I've learned a lot from this site. What I'm presently struggling with is how to explain to my little girl that I will be gone for Boot Camp, MCT, and MOS School. We have talked about it, but I want to make sure that she understands what's going on when I head to Kansas City on the 8th. Any advice from anyone that has been in this position before would be greatly appreciated.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Where you are going you will need to keep your mind on your boot camp training and put your heart and soul into it to become a Marine.

Make sure before you leave that your spouse and daughter are taken care of financially and with a backup plan in case of Murphy's Law.

For your daughter....I didn't have this probem....about boot camp....however I made allot of pumps and deployments and was gone more than I was home on training and workups.

Explain the best you can.....that you will have to be gone for awhile......on her level.....but truthfully.

Do some special things with her and as a family....shortly before you leave.

When it time for you to graduate boot camp and you actually know you will...maybe your wife can start a calender that your daughter can mark off the days until you will be home or that she will see you.

Get a special mugshot of you in a small frame that she can keep with her in her room....

In boot camp write her special letters.....that is about all you can do until family day.

In MCT and MOS school call and talk on the phone when permitted to use the phone after training.

Don't sweat it...... and don't dwell on it ......keep your mind on the mission at hand.

In actuality a four year old has no concept of time.....there is not much you can do.

Your real problems will be when she is of school age and you are deployed overseas to a hotspot.....then you will need to explain and console.

Good luck to you!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sorry, couldn't help myself,,,,,,

Actually I'm adopting her when I get finished with MOS school. Her biological father is not interested in being a part of her life, and I've been around since she was 14 months old. I'm the only Daddy she has known and before she starts school it will be legal.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Ok,,,, I'll work on removing my boot from my mouth now,,,,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    I thought it was pretty funny, Sergeant.

I am in the same boat as you McAnally. I have a 4 yr old boy (will probably be 5 by the time I can ship out, if my waiver goes through), and I spend quite a bit of time thinking about how I am going to explain everything to him. I definitely feel for you, brother!

Sparkie.....no reason to remove a boot. It was actually kinda funny. McAnally-I can't add anything the SSgt didn't already say. Just keep your eye on the prize and everything will work itself out. Good luck!

just tell them you're training for a new job and you'll be back from that training in 6 months with a few stops back home to see her. She'll not really notice the time go by and she won't recognize you when you get back from boot camp so don't run to her, let her come to you.

spend LOTS of time with her on boot leave then when you goto your MOS school you probably won't pick up right away into your class so you come home on recruiters assistance and spend lots of time with her then goto school and then move her out to your new duty station. you'll have time to reconnect fully then.

it's the way of the warrior guy, enjoy it or not it's going to happen eventually.

Not at all Sergeant. It was very funny! The fact that it's true just makes it that much funnier in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by McAnally View Post
    Not at all Sergeant. It was very funny! The fact that it's true just makes it that much funnier in my opinion.
    good sence of humor will get you through anything. everything Phantom said is correct! when it comes to Senior Drill Instructor Square Away Time, write her a letter a couple times a week! your little girl will love them. I know when i was in Iraq, I wrote to my son twice a week for 7 months and he didn't let the letters out of his sight till i was home with him!

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    To add a little more to what SSGT Petz said.

My family practice shingle is weathered,cracked and slightly off its hooks tilting slightly....but from the way I remember....although a different situation.

When you come home from boot camp day let your daughter approach you as stated...also..

The time that you are home remember that your wife has been holding down the fort/home front for the time your were/are in recruit training....she has been filling the two roles of the family....so bend a little and ease slightly into your role in the home.

It is easier with younger children...since there is very little going on with them.

Pre-teen and teenagers can be a little more difficult.....not always the case...but could be....since the spouse left behind is the one doing all the mother/father roles....with discipline,school,chores,activities etc.

Cherish the moments and the days ......but remember even though you are the Marine....the Marines wife has a tough job.

If and when you are deployed keep in mind....but try not to dwell....that war is hell on the home front too.

Again good luck....shingle retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Petz View Post
    just tell them you're training for a new job and you'll be back from that training in 6 months with a few stops back home to see her. She'll not really notice the time go by and she won't recognize you when you get back from boot camp so don't run to her, let her come to you.

spend LOTS of time with her on boot leave then when you goto your MOS school you probably won't pick up right away into your class so you come home on recruiters assistance and spend lots of time with her then goto school and then move her out to your new duty station. you'll have time to reconnect fully then.

it's the way of the warrior guy, enjoy it or not it's going to happen eventually.
    My son recognized me at our moto-run/family day thing. He was also 4 when I left. I stood there in formation, facing the bleachers, just him, my mom, and my wife in the bleachers already. My mom and wife sitting there watching us do the gay MC stretches. He was running up and down the bleachers making a terrible racket. Still makes me smile thinking about it.

My mother didn't recognize me though, imagine that.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sorry, couldn't help myself,,,,,,
    I spewed again man! You got to quit that funny stuff!

Thread Information