Confused at Infantry and Lateral Move to Recon/etc - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by brian0351 View Post
    If you have that kind of scholastic background...Infantry will be a waste! You won't be able to "lat" move generally until you re-enlist. What happens if 4 years down the road you don't care for the Marines and get out? Then your just a smart grunt.

You know what smart grunts do when they get out...same thing as dumb grunts. Security, Police or hope to then start your 4 year degree. I was in the same boat. Joined the Infantry with high Asvab scores. It wasn't until 5 years after I got out that I was able to move into my current career in computers. And in that case it was the TS clearance I got from MSG duty that got my foot in the door. TS clearances are generally NOT given to grunts.

Don't go infantry...use your brain.
    I used to think the same thing about Marines getting out of the Corps. They become Cops and such. Thats because they settled for something. I had the great pleasure of serving for over 20yrs as a grunt and I don't have a college degree. I had offers for law enforcement from all over but that wasn't exactly what I was looking for. I didn't want to just settle for a job right out the gate. Ended up with a good job with great pay and I work for the DOJ. Sure the DOJ is law enforcement oriented but there are plenty of jobs within the DOJ that aren't law enforcement oriented and don't require a degree.

To many Marines use pizz-poor-prior-planning when they are getting out of the Corps. They wait till the last minute and then start looking for a job. Thats why they settle for the first thing they are offered. I started 6 months before retirement and had this job secured a month before I retired. I had to wait till my retirement was offical before starting this job but that was cool with me. Gave me plenty of down time while on terminal leave to just relax and clear my brain-housing-group.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    yes, i kept that in mind. i know that will eventually happen but for the time i'm not activated, i'll have time to study.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy1980 View Post
    yes, i kept that in mind. i know that will eventually happen but for the time i'm not activated, i'll have time to study.
    I need to stress this point: You might get activated in the middle of a semester. Luckily, most colleges these days are allowing cost free withdrawals for military people even after the drop period (or at least the refund rate in effect at the end of the drop period), so you can save some of your tuition cost.

Make sure your college is one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by 0331 2 0369 View Post
    I used to think the same thing about Marines getting out of the Corps. They become Cops and such. Thats because they settled for something. I had the great pleasure of serving for over 20yrs as a grunt and I don't have a college degree. I had offers for law enforcement from all over but that wasn't exactly what I was looking for. I didn't want to just settle for a job right out the gate. Ended up with a good job with great pay and I work for the DOJ. Sure the DOJ is law enforcement oriented but there are plenty of jobs within the DOJ that aren't law enforcement oriented and don't require a degree.

To many Marines use pizz-poor-prior-planning when they are getting out of the Corps. They wait till the last minute and then start looking for a job. Thats why they settle for the first thing they are offered. I started 6 months before retirement and had this job secured a month before I retired. I had to wait till my retirement was offical before starting this job but that was cool with me. Gave me plenty of down time while on terminal leave to just relax and clear my brain-housing-group.
    Gunny,

You make a great point about the planning. I got out in 2000...and that was back before the internet became the staple of information there is now. Suppose I am jaded at the "Getting out" process because I literally was told at my SEPS brief to look at law enforcement or the post office!

Now there is a world of information available to Marines getting out.

Quote Originally Posted by brian0351 View Post
    Gunny,

You make a great point about the planning. I got out in 2000...and that was back before the internet became the staple of information there is now. Suppose I am jaded at the "Getting out" process because I literally was told at my SEPS brief to look at law enforcement or the post office!

Now there is a world of information available to Marines getting out.
    I agree. The information age is wayyyyy better now than before. Those "people" (trying to be nice) don't know their arse from a hole in the ground. They are there to draw a paycheck. They could do a lot better at helping our young Marines transition to the civilian world. I was lucky enough that when I retired, I was in the Norfolk area. I went through SEPS on a navy base. They have all their ducks in a row. Great information and they even have employeers come in and review your resume if you take their resume writing class. Some people where even hired right there in the classroom. Our young Marines of today definitely need to start planning at a minimal of 6 months out. Go to every class they can so they can take advantage of the services that are actually in place that no one really knows about.

Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    One thing you missed about the Reserves: Sometimes they activate you for a deployment when it isn't very convenient for you. You don't hold the reins.
    The Marine Corps definitely depolys you at their convenience. If you're planning to be in the infantry, plan on doing that and that only. College classes are not on the menu for a boot in an FMF Unit. To me, it seems like you're trying to do too much at once. You'll learn a lot about yourself in the infantry, but if you have some decent choices based on your ASVAB, you need to look a little deeper. I had an 86 on the ASVAB and still decided to go infantry. I was somewhat fortunate that I was offered the 0313 MOS (LAV Crewman) when I got to SOI. I dont regret it, but you're limiting yourself on what you can do after the Marine Corps. I figured out that I can sell, but you dont impress people when you say you can dig a mean fighting hole on an interview. Explore your options.

Credits
    Savings
    well, i have a few backup plans. i translate stuff frequently from 2 language; 2 target language to english, self taught. For one of the target language, you could say I have a certificate that's comparable to cambridge's advance english.

My question now is, I will be going active, and when I'm deployed, how much estimated peak time do you get to read magazine, books? I hear people get some time to their self but how long? It would be great if in those free time, I can retain my fluency by read materials in those target language and improvise.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy1980 View Post
    well, i have a few backup plans. i translate stuff frequently from 2 language; 2 target language to english, self taught. For one of the target language, you could say I have a certificate that's comparable to cambridge's advance english.

My question now is, I will be going active, and when I'm deployed, how much estimated peak time do you get to read magazine, books? I hear people get some time to their self but how long? It would be great if in those free time, I can retain my fluency by read materials in those target language and improvise.
    Sure, why not? You have down time that during which you can read.

Heck, I had a large library while I was in the Corps. My last company commander would borrow one of my books every week during barracks inspection, and leave the last one he took with a note telling me which new one he borrowed. Funny aside: He forgot to return a book one week and when he returned it the following week, he left a quarter for the "overdue fine."

Out in the sand box, your library size will have to be limited, but nothing stops you from sending old books home (or sharing them around) and having family send new books out. My oldest daughter has regular books and a Kindle for reading while in the 'Stan. Her husband and I both have stacks of books set aside ready to ship when she wants them.

Credits
    Savings
    alright! that's what i wanted to hear. if i can maintain these skills and explore other areas of life as an infantryman then, and improve on another, that would be the best. i don't expect to get a several hours a day, a couple or one less is fine if i can review what i've learned. so i won't forget.

What is your ultimate goal? If you want to be a Marine first and then later on lat move into something of a bit higher echelon, that's a solid plan, assuming you meet the requirements and are mentally capable of handling the rigors- which if you speak 3 languages you can.

Everyone on here is going to pimp the Marines like it's cool, but you need to look out for yourself. Decide what your goal is and follow that path, if your ultimate goal is the latter of what you say, then enlisting in the Army as a 35M is going to be your best choice. Don't let the pride of just being a Marine cloud your decision, because that is stupid and you'll end up regretting it. You can go directly into the Army as a 35M and be operating overseas in less than one year, as opposed to waiting at least 4 years if you go the Marine route. Seriously man, with your qualifications and everything else you need to go to the Army, because you'll be wasted in the Marine Corps. That's the truth no matter what anyone on here is going to tell you.

Credits
    Savings
    I'm not in any hurry. My ultimate goal is to jump at every opportunity that presents itself while perhaps in Infantry.

I want to make sure my chances of doing a lateral move is there, and how long does it usually take. I know that ASVAB score plays an important role. I'm looking for insights like yours, Accord, which helps a lot. That's why I'm reading up on about.military and Army 35M you suggested.

@Accord, and one of the trivia reason I'm joining is for the challenge as an Infantryman. It would've been a tough decision if I didn't have certain skill that when I get out, I would be drained and left with nowhere to go, as some had put it.

I have dreams of managing a business that's physical (everyone does, right?) and not just an eCommerce, but maybe that's where we're headed in the future.

You're not going to have ANY opportunities within the infantry, period. I don't care what anyone tells you. You may get send to Corporals Course if you become a CPL while a grunt and various other little B.S. that doesn't matter and no one cares about. You're going to do predeployment training workups, deploy, go on leave, predeployment training workup, deploy, etc. for 4 years. That's it. Don't just join the infantry to be a grunt... nobody on this earth cares that you're an 03 except for other 03's. And this is coming from a former 03. Don't waste your skillsets in the infantry, regardless of branch.

Cpl, I am to short on time tonight, to give examples. But, you/we have learned a great deal from the grunts. I'll post up tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Accord View Post
    You're not going to have ANY opportunities within the infantry, period. I don't care what anyone tells you. You may get send to Corporals Course if you become a CPL while a grunt and various other little B.S. that doesn't matter and no one cares about. You're going to do predeployment training workups, deploy, go on leave, predeployment training workup, deploy, etc. for 4 years. That's it. Don't just join the infantry to be a grunt... nobody on this earth cares that you're an 03 except for other 03's. And this is coming from a former 03. Don't waste your skillsets in the infantry, regardless of branch.

Credits
    Savings
    Another insightful post! I'm looking more into HUMINT straight when I join. I'll need a year to qualify for it. Thank you for another eye opener even if it didn't seem like it. This kind of experience and opinion helps a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Accord View Post

You're not going to get HUMINT straight when you join. They only take Marines with "experience" for the most part. The only people I've seen go into Human Intelligence are people who asked for it after re-enlisting or were offered it after a few successful years in the corps.

Thread Information