Confused at Infantry and Lateral Move to Recon/etc
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Confused at Infantry and Lateral Move to Recon/etc

I'm going in as an Infantry 3011. I plan to do a lateral move into Recon. 0321 or HUMINT 0211 after a couple year.

What I'd like to know is if it's possible to retake the ASVAB again once you're already in for a higher score to meet the requirements for the chosen PMOS?

Here's an outline of where I hope to go.

I love computers. I love programming. But I'd like to go Infantry to be on the front and experiencing life. I chose the MOS since it's 'in-the-field' work. I expect to learn a lot, like serving a country, harshness of reality, life in afghan or wherever I'm shipped, discipline. A job that puts me in the front while helping others.

I've started learning my 3rd language, which is one of the reason I happen to choose RECON AND HUMINT. I heard I will be able to receive official training in specific languages but unlike linguist, I won't be bound by only interpreting and translating. When I get out, I like to apply for computer security. Of course not right out of the Marines. I'm going to have to do a lot of catching up, reading textbooks, and hands-on security programming and MUCH more. FBI and CIA are also choices.

College is not a choice. I have enough money for college but I won't be independent. I'd have to live with my family. Dealing with family problems most of the days, I'll be drained to be able to study. "If you had to take care of 6 children, depression, and received no support whatsoever in life, then that's how it will feel like," a counselor once told me and her word rings true. I want a change of environment. Not one that's envelops you in negativity. So in choosing military life, I'll be able to be more independent and at the same time, draw in real life experiences and sort things out -- or develop individually over time.

So what would be the very possibly best choice if I wanted to approach military life in the Marines and accrue skills that will help in cyberwarefare, FBI, CIA.

My recruiter told me I should just go in as Infantry, then lateral move to RECON OR HUMINT. I only have a permanent resident card. SO my final question is, should i join after getting my citizenship or get it after basic training? Thanks!

Since you took the time to make a long post, and there's nothing wrong with that, how about taking the time to fill out all of your profile so the Marines who are going to answer your questions know who they are talking to.

Ask your recruiter if they are still doing UZ Recon contracts. You may want to check with the FBI/CIA regarding a college degree, because I'm pretty sure you need one to be in either. As far as your citizenship, I can't offer any guidance other than if it is a long or complicated process, I would get it taken care of before you enlist, cause you won't have much time after.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    What MOS is 3011 never heard of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    What MOS is 3011 never heard of it?
    I think it's a grunt with dyslexia.

If you have that kind of scholastic background...Infantry will be a waste! You won't be able to "lat" move generally until you re-enlist. What happens if 4 years down the road you don't care for the Marines and get out? Then your just a smart grunt.

You know what smart grunts do when they get out...same thing as dumb grunts. Security, Police or hope to then start your 4 year degree. I was in the same boat. Joined the Infantry with high Asvab scores. It wasn't until 5 years after I got out that I was able to move into my current career in computers. And in that case it was the TS clearance I got from MSG duty that got my foot in the door. TS clearances are generally NOT given to grunts.

Don't go infantry...use your brain.

Wow... That chart just blew my mind.

Before making it though, you probably should have visited the employment section of the FBI and CIA websites, where it lists the prerequisites for being hired, and a college degree is plainly listed as one of them.

No biggie though, it just means you've got to go to school...

As for your Marine Corps career, however, I wouldn't plan on lat moving prior to your second enlistment. I believe the minimum is two years, but I've never heard of anyone getting it that early.

One last tidbit to share: if you'd like to do infantry and intel, make sure to do it in that order. From what I understand from my friend at intel school right now, once you go 02xx, you're ineligible to serve as a grunt afterwards, because you become a liability if captured.

Any saltier Marines care to confirm that one?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You can be a regular grunt as a permanent resident. You will not be able to be recon or HUMINT (i.e., counterintelligence) until you are a citizen due to the security clearance requirements. CI means a top secret clearance with the attendant single scope background investigation. A family full of non-citizens will not be helpful here.

However, you cannot enlist straight into CI. That is a lat move MOS only and you have to be a Sergeant upon completion of the school. Believe it or not, infantry is a good MOS to have before going into CI as CI types are in the field a lot running around with grunts. I knew a bunch of CI types who were highly decorated Vietnam vets. Most got their decorations for valor in firefights, not doing the secret squirrel stuff. Plus, intimate knowledge of the infantry trade gave them a very credible cover story in case they were captured.

Any regular job with the FBI or CIA requires US citizenship as it comes right back to the security clearance requirements. Any job of the type you are thinking of with the FBI or CIA will also require, at minimum, a bachelors degree. If you are looking into some kind of computer security thing with them, your degree will need to be in computers. The FBI prefers applicants with degrees in computers, law, or accounting.

Being bi-or tri-lingual is always a plus in the intel or law enforcement community.

BTW, codeman, I did a lat move with a re-up at two-years. I was a Sergeant by then. Of course this was in 1973, so I don't know about these days.

Credits
    Savings
    If I join the Infantry, active duty, then that would be 4 years active and 2 reserved. From what I'm hearing, active duty Marines (0311) don't have much time to study.

After reading the very much appreciated responses, the message from it is to become a citizenship, finish college with a bachelor, then join INFANTRY/RECON/or HUMINT.

I hope to hear more opinions from MARINES. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy1980
    I only have a permanent resident card. SO my final question is, should i join after getting my citizenship or get it after basic training? Thanks!
    The Marine Corps has boot camp/recruit training. The Army has basic training.

United States Military Enlistment Standards
    Do You Qualify to Enlist in the United States Military?
    Number of Dependents
    Credit and Finances
    Single Parents
    Applicants Married to Military Members
    Education
    Drug/Alcohol Involvement
    Criminal History
    Sexual Preference
    Height/Weight Standards
    Medical Physical
    Miscellaneous Provisions
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...lstandards.htm

hahaha.....really? You're gonna call this kid out for saying basic instead of boot? Good lord. This website gives me a lot of laughs.

Listen brotha, focus on being a good grunt before you worry about Recon or Human intelligence. Most kids who go in with Recon contracts winde up not even wanting to to do it once they find out that the Marine Corps isn't necessarily like COD Modern Warfare. Get some experience in the regular infantry before you start wanting to be all High-speed, low drag.

Credits
    Savings
    I have all the requirements, I am positive I will pass all drug, medical, and criminal screening. The only thing is deciding getting my citizenship before entering or while I'm serving. And would it be better to finish 3 more years of school for my bachelor's degree or get it after serving active duty? That's one of the decision I'm trying to assess given where I'm aiming for.

@Smitty Puffs, yeah. Infantry would probably be first on the list.

US Military Enlistment Standard
    Citizenship

In order to join the US Military, you must either be a US citizen, or you must be a legal permanent immigrant, physically living in the United States, with a green card. The US military cannot and will not assist with the immigration process. If you are not a US citizen, you must legally and permanently immigrate to the United States first, via the regular immigration procedures and quotas, establish a residence, and then (if you meet the other qualifying criteria), visit a military recruiter's office and apply for enlistment.

For enlistment purposes, citizens of the United States include citizens of: Guam, Puerto Rico, The U.S. Virgin Islands,The Northern Marianas Islands, American Samoa, The Federated States of Micronesia, and The Republic of the Marshall Islands.

Not all legal immigrants may be eligible to enlist. Applicants who have been residents of countries considered hostile to the interests of the United States require a waiver. See your local recruiter for the most current list of countries considered hostile to the interests of the United States.

While non-citizens may enlist, they will find their job choices extremely limited. DOD policy prohibits granting security clearances to non-U.S. Citizens. Therefore, non-Citizens. who enlist in the United States military will be limited to those jobs which do not require a security clearance.

For legal immigrants who do enlist, there are accelerated citizenship procedures for non-citizens on active duty. For details, see our article, Becoming a Citizen in the US Military.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...enlcitizen.htm

Check the following link out.........

Becoming a Citizen in the U.S. Military

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theor...itizenship.htm

Credits
    Savings
    I've been focus on joining active but as I read into this more, I'm finding that maybe this isn't the best choice. With reserve, I can volunteer to go on tour and become active if I wanted. So given that reserve requires drilling 1 weekend per month, I can study and go active whenever there's a chance.

Any guidance? I want to make the decent choice at least if I get some insight.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy1980 View Post
    I've been focus on joining active but as I read into this more, I'm finding that maybe this isn't the best choice. With reserve, I can volunteer to go on tour and become active if I wanted. So given that reserve requires drilling 1 weekend per month, I can study and go active whenever there's a chance.

Any guidance? I want to make the decent choice at least if I get some insight.

One thing you missed about the Reserves: Sometimes they activate you for a deployment when it isn't very convenient for you. You don't hold the reins.

Thread Information