Re-join after 14 yrs.
Create Post

Re-join after 14 yrs.

Hello Marines,

I am seeking advice and or guidance in making my decision in an attempt to re-join the Marines. I am a former active duty 0311, E-4 who left active duty in Oct. 1995. I am now 36 years old, in decent physical shape, meet height and weight standards, and have established myself in a 12 yr. law enforcement career as a police officer/detective. I am financially secure, have a wife and three children I also served two short years in the Nat. Guard, which was a complete joke and an insult to my own pride. The only good thing about the guard was I was smart enough to only enlist for 2 years.

I have given much thought to re-joining the Corps.. however, in a Reserve capacity. I have spoken with a recruiter in the two weeks, who has given me advice over the telephone up this point. He informed me that it is not impossible for me to re-join. However, I will obviously be an age waiver and will more than likely be at the mercy of a commanding officer somewhere. I have already faxed him copies of my DD-214 and other information in order to start the process, and hopefully now that the holidays are over, I will be getting an update on my status soon.

I have only been able to look up brief descriptions of MOS's and requirements on the internet and discussion forums. It is difficult to locate information about similar circumstances of my situation.

The MOS's I am now interested in are, Intelligence and Military Police /investigator/NCIS. I am curious to know if my current civillian experience, as well as personal maturity would be beneficial to the Corps. I would like to be able to compliment my civillan career with my military career of possible. I am seeking advice about any of these MOS's and or opportuniies that might be available to me regarding Rank, schools, education, training or anything in general. I am also curious to know how the drills, training, and deployments work. I am also curious if the Corps., in general is receptive to the idea of bring back former older marines, and how reserve units would look at someone in my situation.

I am also interested in advice of negotiating the terms of my enlistement with the recruiter, and questions I might ask and info I should be aware of. I am targeting the New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Mississipi, Alabama and Pensacola areas of where I will want to join a reserve unit. I loved the infantry when I was 19, however, I want to be sensible when figuring my age (36) into the factor.

Please accept my thanks in advance for any advice I might receive. I look forward to hearing some good news soon.

Thanks,
    P8400

First things first, profiles area big thing around here. We get a lot of posers so filling out your profile so we know exactly who we are talking with is your next sep.
    Secondly I attempted to join a reserve unit in Memphis when I was 35 and was turned down, unofficially. The CO basically told me that I could put in the paper work but he could guarentee it would be shot down. Thus the reason I joined the Guard. But this was my personal experience 2 years ago, so good luck.

My apologies, I am new to the Leatherneck website. I will attempt ot fill out my profile ASAP..... I only read the Leatherneck magazines 15 years ago.......Jeez maybe I am getting old.....Thanks for your input, and I will take this into consideration and prepare myself for the possible rejection.

Off-Contract Reenlistment

P8400,

I am in a similar situation. What I was told by the PSR is that you have to find a drilling reserve unit that is under T/O for your rank. So that somewhat limits your choices. Also, you may elect to take a reduction in rank to widen your possibilities if you do not have too many years of service already. The PSR said that the whole process would take about 3 months to put together the packet and submit it. But from what I have read on here, the process could be somewhat protracted.

Good Luck,

Quote Originally Posted by flyby View Post
    P8400,

I am in a similar situation. What I was told by the PSR is that you have to find a drilling reserve unit that is under T/O for your rank. So that somewhat limits your choices. Also, you may elect to take a reduction in rank to widen your possibilities if you do not have too many years of service already. The PSR said that the whole process would take about 3 months to put together the packet and submit it. But from what I have read on here, the process could be somewhat protracted.

Good Luck,
    Yup, still waiting................................I might take that crop dusting job after all.

Good luck. Your best best is to first try and reenlist into the IRR or SMCR and go from there.

Forgot to add, Im loosing Motivation.

FLYBY, whats your status?

Thread Information