TV making a mockery of the Corps once again. - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Marine Free Member Matt Brzycki's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Interesting thread and theory. Timely, too, as I just happened to catch Heartbreak Ridge" on the tube this afternoon. Didn't catch the entire flick and I might've missed something but from what I could tell, the uniforms seemed pretty correct. (One of my favorite Marine movies, BTW.)

In addition, no disrespect intended toward those who advance the theory that Marine/military uniforms have to be incorrect/improper on TV or in the movies but wouldn't that also have to be true of police uniforms?

Matt Brzycki
    Sergeant (1975-79)

NCIS and JAG

Donald Belisario who directed these was a Marine which might account for the Marine correctness on these shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Brzycki View Post

In addition, no disrespect intended toward those who advance the theory that Marine/military uniforms have to be incorrect/improper on TV or in the movies but wouldn't that also have to be true of police uniforms?

Matt Brzycki
    Sergeant (1975-79)
    It's just a rumor that gets passed from Marine to Marine with neither of them stopping to actually see if there's any truth to it. Whatever you do, don't believe everything you read on this forum.

Good Lord does that chick have an amazing rack.

This is really the only 1 thing that annoys me since I graduated bootcamp. Every movie/show with someone in a military uniform, I seem to critique it way too much, and not really pay attention to the actual movie/show.

Who gives a ****? I think our history on the battlefield, past and present, should speak for itself, instead of some dumbass civilian actor wearing the wrong chevrons in the back of some lame television show.

More pictures of Catherine Bell dammit!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zx6rdr View Post
    More pictures of Catherine Bell dammit!!!!
    I second this motion!

This kinda thing drives me crazy. There were some low lifes in Marine uniforms after Hurricane Katrina standing on a street corner collecting money for the victims of the storm. An off duty cop stopped to give them some change...off duty cop and MARINE....BUSTED, they went to jail that very day. When the MARINE got up close, they were obviously not wearing the unform correctly.

Even the good ones don't get it right. Full Metal Jacket at the end of training when R Lee was calling out MOS, Pvt. Pile,, the fuk up was wearing PFC. chevrons. In those years, that would have made him the honor man.

But if you remember Pvt. Pile was the Plt high shooter! Which would have given him the promotion on graduation!

Catherine Bell's husband is one lucky bastard. And I forgive her for being in that God-aweful Army Wives show lol.

Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    Here ya go......

As I dear old Pappy used to say, "I'd like to f+*# that again, and make it an even, once."

God, is she HOT. Whew.

Moving on....

As the rezident uniform guru/geek, let me put to rest the chesnut that 'uniforms have to be incorrect' in movies/TV theory. It is no LONGER the case. However, it does have a basis in fact, believe it or not.

Once upon a time, the law on the books (Federal) stated that no person could wear a military uniform that would give the "impression" the person was in the military, or a part there-of. Hollywood took that literally fearing legal action, and ensured most of it's 'dress' uniforms were, in some way, (some more than others) incorrect. Be it from ribbon placement, buttons, etc.

This policy continued until a Supreme Court decision, circa 1971 or so (I can pull the citation if someone is really that interested) where a 'Nam war protestor was arrested for wearing parts of his (former) uniform. The gov't argued that he wasn't in the military and had no right to wear same. The protestors lawyer successfully argued that it was a matter of free speech and he could wear whatever he wanted to. (The same argument goes for disrespecting the US flag by wearing it on your pants, upside down, etc etc). The protestor and his lawyer won the case, and movies, plays, and TV were specifically cited as examples.

Ever since, it has NOT been illegal to wear a uniform (or parts thereof) in Hollywood, on stage, etc.

The bottom line is, military technical advisors cost money, and it's easier to just go to the costume department and throw something together. Much as it irritates the living crap outta ME as well, that's Hollywood for ya.

Further boring you on this particular topic, the Stolen Valor Act now has swung, to a certain degree, in the other direction; It's now illegal to wear medals you haven't earned, and to even CLAIM to have earned stuff you haven't. There is an exemption for stage/screen/TV etc.

So now you know LOL.

Thread Information