Transferring from RMC to USMC
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Transferring from RMC to USMC

Guys, firstly hello from over the pond. Good website.

As a Royal, I was wondering if it is possible to transfer to the USMC or whether they do exchange programmes. I know you guys come this way because we currently have a Gunny Sgt on camp with us training with our PTIs. Does anyone know (or met/worked with) any Royal Marines who have crossed over the opposite way?

I'm interested because my partner has US family and wants to relocate.

Any info is much appreciated!

Last edited by kwakzx6r; 01-01-10 at 10:38 AM. Reason: I used the word Hoorah!

Please complete your profile so that we know who you are...as for your reasons, you might think of a better one.

Quote Originally Posted by samthomas View Post
    Please complete your profile so that we know who you are...as for your reasons, you might think of a better one.
    Yeah fair one, that's not my only reason, or in any way the prevailing one, but she prompted me to ask on here as she's sitting next to me!

Well, if you know a Gunny over there...why not talk to him? He might know something about it...or might be able to give you a contact number/person.

yes, you would be able to join. dont worry about these other a-holes they dont know anything.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spokelse0 View Post
    yes, you would be able to join. dont worry about these other a-holes they dont know anything.
    According to your profile, You don't know squat.

Why not ask for a green card? Kinda hard to think??

Quote Originally Posted by spokelse0 View Post
    haha. Enough Said.

Quote Originally Posted by kwakzx6r View Post
    Guys, firstly hello from over the pond. Good website.

As a Royal, I was wondering if it is possible to transfer to the USMC or whether they do exchange programmes. I know you guys come this way because we currently have a Gunny Sgt on camp with us training with our PTIs. Does anyone know (or met/worked with) any Royal Marines who have crossed over the opposite way?

Any info is much appreciated!
    Any particular reason why you want to go through the trouble of coming here? If you want to try something different, you could always look into the SBS. I've met an Australian digger and a Polish soldier who came to the USMC but they were both married to American women beforehand. Unless you've always been interested in seeing life in the U.S., I wouldn't recommend it.

I do believe there is an exchane program do what we all should run it up the chain of command

I would definatly go the exchange program route and maintain benefits with the Royal MARINES. We did have one fellow that I knew 20 years ago who immigrated and went thru MCRD (U.S. Marine Boot Camp) as a recruit after being a Royal MARINE. He was an outstanding MARINE. I think you have a great idea. Just stay a Royal MARINE and seek out an exchange program. If I would have stayed in, I would have loved to serve with the IDF thru some sort of exchange program.

I remember training with the Royal Marines (we really did more drinking with them) in the way back machine. It was odd because we had 19/20 year old Cpls and Lcpls after a couple years. They had been in 7 to 8 years and were Pvts and Pfcs. Great guys though and alot of fun. I still have a cover/beret from them ....... Also remeber training with the Gurkhas when I was with 2/3. Perhaps Sgt Quinn remembers that as well... I would suggest the same as this Marine....

Quote Originally Posted by TunTvrnWarrior View Post
    I would definatly go the exchange program route and maintain benefits with the Royal MARINES. We did have one fellow that I knew 20 years ago who immigrated and went thru MCRD (U.S. Marine Boot Camp) as a recruit after being a Royal MARINE. He was an outstanding MARINE. I think you have a great idea. Just stay a Royal MARINE and seek out an exchange program. If I would have stayed in, I would have loved to serve with the IDF thru some sort of exchange program.

Quote Originally Posted by kwakzx6r View Post
    Does anyone know (or met/worked with) any Royal Marines who have crossed over the opposite way?
    Yes i had a platoon sergeant who was RMC. Never heard him say "transfer", but best i could cypher he enlisted and went through USMC boot camp and infantry training like the rest of us....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I think MCB Quantico usually has a Royal Marine PTI on staff as an exchange working at the Officer Candidate School. I know there is a formal exchange program between the USMC and RM at the officer and SNCO level. US Marines have to pass the Commando Course to stay on exchange with the RM. I think RM exchanges only get a short USMC orientation.

I know of an RM Colour Sergeant, Matthew Robert Tomlinson, who received a Conspicuous Gallantry Cross for valor in Iraq while he was serving as an exchange NCO. He was the platoon sergeant of a USMC small boat unit (I want to say at Falluja in either 2004 or 2005). It was gazetted on 24 March 2006 if you want to look it up.

To join the USMC, you would have to become at least a permanent resident here before joining. You would have to complete boot camp and School of Infantry. However, as a Royal, that should be more formality than challenge. If you went infantry, I would bet you would be a highly welcomed member to your unit. Most prior service Brits, Canucks, or Aussies that I knew gained rank quite quickly.

Of course the USMC has many, many more occupational specialties than the RM has. You do not have to serve as a general duty Marine first before training for a specialty. Having said that, some specialties require a security clearance that in turn requires you to be a US citizen first. Service in the US military allows you a fast track to US citizenship though.

The only other problem I could foresee is learning English (American dialect). Just kidding.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DADDYMAC34 View Post
    I remember training with the Royal Marines (we really did more drinking with them) in the way back machine. It was odd because we had 19/20 year old Cpls and Lcpls after a couple years. They had been in 7 to 8 years and were Pvts and Pfcs. Great guys though and alot of fun. I still have a cover/beret from them ....... Also remeber training with the Gurkhas when I was with 2/3. Perhaps Sgt Quinn remembers that as well... I would suggest the same as this Marine....

If the way back machine aint broken ... memory is that we cross trained with the brits on Diego Garcia and then the ghurkas at PTA / Maui.

Additionally I will add that while at WTBN Quantico we always had a royal Marine there. I'm not sure what his billet was or in what capacity he served but there was always one there. I think it was a 1 year tour.

Quote Originally Posted by ZSKI View Post
    I do believe there is an exchane program do what we all should run it up the chain of command
    Yep, Gunnery Sergeant Brad Colbert did it as well. There's some informal title out there for Marine graduates of Basic Airborne, Marine reconnaissance, Army Ranger School and an exchange with the British Royal Marines. I think it's called "Quad Body."

Thread Information