Marriage = change of duty station?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Marriage = change of duty station?

Hello all,
    I'm getting married to another Marine and hes stationed in Yuma, Arizona. I'm currently in Okinawa and I was wondering if when I take leave to get married if my command will move me to the states to be with him or if I would have to finish out my contract here. I have a year and 6 months left on this damn rock.
    Thanks for the feedback.

OOHRAH!

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    You will probally have to finish your tour....

The only thing in my opine would be to take this to your chain of command.

However there is no guarantee that you both will ever be stationed at the same base.

The Marine Corps says that they will try to get you both within 50 miles of each other but then again there are no set in stone guarantees.

But I would venture to say at this point and your rank that this will be a long distance relationship.

Good luck!

Thank you SSgt.
    That's what I was thinking too. I was also reading about a AA form but I don't think that applies to me here.
    I'll be sure to bring it up my chain of command and see if I can talk to the career planner and see if theres an opening for a wireman in Yuma.

I guess it depends on your CO.
    What unit is he in? I was in MCAS Yuma, and my command MALS-13 was actually pretty leniant.
    We actually had two married couples in my shop, who were really mature about it and never let the relationship get in the way of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzack View Post
    Hello all,
    I'm getting married to another Marine and hes stationed in Yuma, Arizona. I'm currently in Okinawa and I was wondering if when I take leave to get married if my command will move me to the states to be with him or if I would have to finish out my contract here. I have a year and 6 months left on this damn rock.
    Thanks for the feedback.

OOHRAH!
    I thought the tour on Okinawa was only 13 months?

Now I know what you've been up to, LOL ! Taking the leap.

Quote Originally Posted by giveen View Post
    I guess it depends on your CO.
    What unit is he in? I was in MCAS Yuma, and my command MALS-13 was actually pretty leniant.
    We actually had two married couples in my shop, who were really mature about it and never let the relationship get in the way of work.

I don't know which unit hes going to yet, he doesnt leave for another 10 days and he has 30 days leave since hes driving there from Kentucky.
    I don't think my CO will let me leave, I'm hoping on there being an opening for a wireman out there so I can request it with the career planner or with my COC. Its going to be even harder now since I just got diagnosed with moderate depression today, and they want to medicate the hell out of me. yay. NOT.

I WISH a tour on Okinawa was only 13 months!!!! That would be AMAZING.

Slim chance you'll get to PCS. There are a lot of rules within III MEF and 3rd Mar Div to prevent Marines from getting married while on leave just to PCS or get out of the barracks. It's been a common issue for so many years that I've known of Marines getting charged for getting married while on leave without prior command approval.

I've seen Marines get hitched thinking they were either both staying in Oki or both PCS'ing together, in the end 1 stays and 1 goes and both are thinking "WTF?". Only way to battle it is work with the chain of command on both sides.

Sgt, as far as I know, you do not have to ask for command approval of your marriage.

What is his MOS? Is it any of the airwinger fields? Ground side?

Well, this is a case of who you know. I was well liked by my oic when I got stationed and my FIANCE, not even my wife yet got a last minute orders change and sent straight to me to get married because my oic called her monitor. So it could go either way...I can't say exactly because I don't know your situation exactly but...make yourself and your issue known to the right people. My oic found out because my Cpl heard me talking about it to a friend and went to my SNCOIC and so on.

When I was there in 2004-2007 it was required. That was around the hype of when we started gold/red liberty cards and MEF had a big problem with Marines trying to get married so they could rate BAH and move out of the barracks. Most would take leave and go back home to do it then come back.

Funny thing, I remember a pair that got married, male was Cpl and female was Sgt, they were both Motor-T and one quiet night convinced the Police Sgt to switch their rooms up so they could "live together" in the barracks which had ajoining rooms. They used 1 room for the living room and the 2nd room for the bedroom. That ended real quick when the 1stSgt found out.

My FIANCE, not even my wife yet got stationed with me because my OIC found out about my situation through my Cpl. I was well liked and well known already so it made things easier. My OIC called her monitor and made sure she was sent to me to be married! It's all in who ya know sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandrel View Post
    When I was there in 2004-2007 it was required. That was around the hype of when we started gold/red liberty cards and MEF had a big problem with Marines trying to get married so they could rate BAH and move out of the barracks. Most would take leave and go back home to do it then come back.

Funny thing, I remember a pair that got married, male was Cpl and female was Sgt, they were both Motor-T and one quiet night convinced the Police Sgt to switch their rooms up so they could "live together" in the barracks which had ajoining rooms. They used 1 room for the living room and the 2nd room for the bedroom. That ended real quick when the 1stSgt found out.
    What unit were you in?
    I was in MALS-13 and eventually moved to MAG-13 HQ and was there from 2003-2007.

It all depends on your command.

CAB

Always a good time when your Bn CO has to go to the CG of MEF and Div and formally request them to STOP sending WM's to the unit because they are all a) getting married and causing issues or b) getting pregnant by other Marines in the barracks.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    I thought the tour on Okinawa was only 13 months?
    they changed it right before i got out, single/geobachler Marines do a 2 year tour and Married Marines who bring the family to the rock gets a nice 3 year tour!

As for the OP, look on the bright side, you may be in Oki and he is in Yuma, you get Seperation Pay.....SAVE IT! Cause once you do get together and get the same or different bases within 50 miles you will need cash for an appartment or down payment on a house!

*when i went to Okinawa as my first duty station i did only 12 months :P

Thread Information