Marine Musicians
Create Post

Question Marine Musicians

Hello Marines, I am scheduled for MEPS tomorrow Monday. I've chosen several MOS fields with the help of my recruiter and I brought up that I've been playing Trumpet for a while. He explained to me the MEOP(Musician Enlisted Option program) and there is an audition for entry into the program. We've gone over the parts of the audition and I'm a little nervous. I'm curious as to how rigorous the audition is? My recruiter keeps telling me if I can sight-read music then I should be ok. Another question, what is the daily agenda for a Marine Corps musician? A reply would be very appreciated, Thank you.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Here you go...

Who We Are

Founded in 1798 by an Act of Congress, “The President’s Own” United States Marine Band is America’s oldest continuously active professional musical organization. Today, “The President’s Own” is celebrated for its role at the White House and its dynamic public performances. “The President’s Own” encompasses the United States Marine Band, Marine Chamber Orchestra, and Marine Chamber Ensembles, and performs regularly at the White House and for more than 500 public performances across the nation each year.
    United States Marine Band

The Marine Band performs a varied repertoire including new works for wind ensemble, traditional concert band literature, challenging orchestral transcriptions, and the patriotic marches that made it famous. The band frequently features its members in solo performances that highlight their virtuosity and artistry.

Marine Chamber Orchestra

The Marine Chamber Orchestra performs a variety of both popular and classical selections, including compositions for string orchestra and those utilizing various wind instruments. Lauded by critics for their dramatic and confident performances, the Marine Chamber Orchestra is helping shape the identity of “The President’s Own” in the 21st century.

Marine Chamber Ensembles

Marine Chamber Ensembles feature the virtuoso musicians of “The President’s Own” performing in intimate, small-ensemble settings. Performers coordinate the programs, with players and repertoire varying from concert to concert. Marine Chamber Ensemble performances offer a generous sampling of composers and instrumental groupings, with something sure to entice every music aficionado.

Thank you so much

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey183rd View Post
    Thank you so much
    You are Welcome. Good Luck to you. Go for it !!!
    My Brother in Law was in the Marine Corps Band.
    He got to see the World.
    Hard work but the contacts that he made and friends and Pride were second to none.

Yes from what I've been told its an excellent opportunity for networking, promotions, and at the end of the day, your a Marine.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey183rd View Post
    Yes from what I've been told its an excellent opportunity for networking, promotions, and at the end of the day, your a Marine.
    EXACTLY!!!

you might want to contact this poolee
    Poolee/DEPJoshjames1234

Quote:Originally Posted by jinelson
    Josh are you going to be in the band. I found your photo album interesting. I would love to know more about what you have to go through to be a member. I have heard that you have to do some auditions that are fairly tough and that you do not have to attend boot camp but I dont know if its true. Could you create a thread and enlighten us?

Jim

Yes sir! I auditioned in March this past year with GySgt Pezdek.

I've been playing for about 7 years and my private teacher was actually in a few of the Marine Corps bands for about 8 years. The audition is standard with any other prestigious group -- you have to memorize the 48 natural minor, harmonic minor, melodic minor, major, and chromatic scales, as well as perform a solo piece that is a grade IV (nothing you won't find in a high school repertoire). Also, I sightread a BUNCH of music -- anything ranging from jazz to 6/8 to cut-time to marches to rock. My biggest tip here would just be to not stop playing if you mess up...just keep going as if you played it on purpose.

You have to score a 2.7 to pass...I scored a 2.85, and a 3.0 would be considered college-level. A 4.0 is perfect, but no one ever gets that. The whole audition lasted about 30 minutes.

Because every Marine is a rifleman, even the band members have to go through recruit training, MCT, stay in shape and pass annual rifle qualifications. HOWEVER, musicians in the President's Own Marine Band are the only "Marines" that don't have to go through boot camp. If you look at their rank insignias, they don't have the cross-rifles. The musicians in the President's Own are considered the nation's best musicians and play at a professional level, and concentrate only on making music.

Hope this answered your questions! Thanks for asking!
    iew Public ProfileSend a private message to Joshjames1234Send email to Joshjames1234Find More Posts by Joshjames1234Add Joshjames1234 to Your Contacts

Thread Information