Combat Support
Create Post

Thread: Combat Support

Combat Support

Hey,
    I was wondering if there was anyone who could help explain how I put in for 0861 MOS. I wanted 0311 but I was given the opportunity to ship out earlier if I changed my MOS to Artillery. I signed my 30 day preship paperwork last week and signed my MOS contract for combat support. I asked the Gunnery Sergeant how to get in to 0861 and he basically said when I get to MOS school I have to ask for it. Is this true? Or is there a better way to apply for the occupation?

That's correct. You are assigned a 'general' MOS (0800) and you'll be further detailed to your exact MOS once you get to school.

Thank you for the response Sergeant. It makes sense I just wanted to verify.

My son has a "Combat Support Contract". I have spoken to the recruiter at length to try to figure out what MOS he will end with. Here are the MOS fields you maybe placed in and the exact MOS you may get:
    08 -- Field Artillery
    18 -- Tank and Assault Amphibious Vehicle
    72 -- Air Control/Air Support/Anti-air Warfare/Air Traffic Control

If you click on each one and use your scores GT,MT etc,. You may be able to eliminate some MOS that you do not qualify for. It is a salad bowl of jobs!!!

My son only qualifies for 1 in the 08 -- Field Artillery.
    All of the 18 -- Tank and Assault Amphibious Vehicle.
    And 1 of the 72 -- Air Control/Air Support/Anti-air Warfare/Air Traffic Control, (a LAAD Gunner and I think they are phasing that out.)

He would like anything in the 18 -- Tank and Assault Amphibious Vehicle filed, he a good swimmer so maybe that will help him get into AAV. He also has no problem getting a TSC, so that may help in tanks.

I too, would be interested to hear from some of you "salty dogs" that took a "Combat Support" contract. How did you make out? Anything help or hurt you, getting what you were looking for?

Thanks Marines!!!

What is a TSC?

I meant T/SC meaning "secret or top secret clearance". Which I believe one needs for tanks. Don't take that as fact though.....

Clearances are different. From 'lowest' to 'highest':

Confidential: In the 'day' this was the lowest level of clearance, and IIRC it's now being eliminated. Only required a CO's signature to get it.

Secret: The medium level of clearance required for almost every job in the Marine Corps, including all the Combat jobs and Combat support (except certain MOS's). Requires a background packet, national records check and a few other things. Can be granted initially based on a clean criminal record. The background check will grant the final clearance.

Top Secret: The highest clearance level, a requirement for jobs such as Intelligence, Signals, and a few others. Requires a Single Scope Background Investigation which takes up to 2 years to complete. This is known as the SSBI and is EXTREMELY thorough. Investigators (usually contractors working for OPM) will go to places of work, home, school, church, neighbors, doctors, etc etc etc and do interviews to determine the persons suitability.

There are different levels of access with the TS clearance which I won't get into since it doesn't really apply here.

Hopefully that helps!

That was my issue as well I signed the same contract as your son did sir but I was told that I was going to be able to get artillery... But nothing is ever promised.

You still may Kevin. I was trying to shake the Marine Corps tree to see if anyone had the same contracts and could shed a little more light. Good luck!!! I see you ship out soon. I am sure you will do fine... Feel free to ask any questions here or pm me. I'll do my best for you...

Quote Originally Posted by KEE890124 View Post
    That was my issue as well I signed the same contract as your son did sir but I was told that I was going to be able to get artillery... But nothing is ever promised.

Thank you for your support sir. And if you do shed some light in the next week or two please let me know. Thank you

What's this about "requesting" 0861? I went in as 08xx, and was told during my 3rd phase of bootcamp that my MOS would be 0842. As far as I knew, you just took what they gave you.

Are you a reservist or did you ship with a "combat support" contract?

Quote Originally Posted by codeman92190 View Post
    What's this about "requesting" 0861? I went in as 08xx, and was told during my 3rd phase of bootcamp that my MOS would be 0842. As far as I knew, you just took what they gave you.

This is what happens when you reply to a post without thinking on it long enough. I forgot that reservists get to choose their MOS.

...I'll see myself out.

Thread Information